• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#121 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

Nicely stated. You are just simply playing the odds, and (at least when it was 0-3) the odds are slim/none. I have little doubt that the people who are simply being realisitc and nothing more/less want and hope the Wings can rally, and would've still watched game 4.

What I hate are self-righteous people who think you are turning your back on the team simply because you are stating and thinking the obvious, and taking that as a form of being negative.

Conversely, I hate the negative dimwats who basically claim defeat before we even start just to get a rise out of people.

Basically, I hate both groups because both feel they have to beat their chests saying how either great they are as fans or because I was right all along and you are stupid for not believing me.

Exactly right, and probably more clearly stated than I could in my post. I understand the "I'll believe in my team until the final seconds of our fourth loss" but what I don't understand is looking down on someone who still supports the team and still watches but has realistic expectations based on the probability of winning.

Just support them. No less....

I will always support the Wings, but I react poorly when people tell me I'm less of a fan just because I know the probability of pulling one out and hold no illusions about the caliber of this team. Were this the '02 or '08 DRW, I would be in the faith group with the rest of you, but as this is the '11 DRW, I don't hold the same faith because the odds and how the team has played throughout the season proves that everyone should be doubting them right now.

The onus is on our boys to prove that they're in that select group that can pull out a series win when down 0-3.

I believe science can be a useful tool when looking around the universe. Lots of wondrous and amazing things to see and learn. But faith takes that and adds the anticipation of the unknown, filled with excitement and hope. Did you ever twirl around in circles when you were a kid....until you fell down? Knowing you'd get dizzy and fall down again, did you spin as soon as you could stand up straight? Fun, right? That's what faith does for science...it puts it on a Frisbee and sails it into hope.
btw....my point, really, was I don't get why someone with a different opinion than yours is an idiot......

My point, had you bothered to read the post that I was replying to, was that the poster said that, "but when I see people saying, "They're done." I just don't feel like they're on 'our' side." he was being an irrational idiot.

I don't fault those that have faith; were the circumstances different (as noted above, were the team better and more consistent in the regular season, etc) I would be in that "they're gonna pull it out" camp. But the facts are as they are, and the Wings may win two or three games, but I don't believe they can win a fourth based on the facts.

Edited by Theophany, 10 May 2011 - 03:18 PM.

#122 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

My point, had you bothered to read the post that I was replying to, was that the poster said that, "but when I see people saying, "They're done." I just don't feel like they're on 'our' side." he was being an irrational idiot.

I ignored it the first time you called me an idiot, now you spout off and do it again. Well, you know what...f*** you. I explained what I thought and apparently I'm irrational for believing the Wings can pull off something that is against the odds. How exactly is that irrational? Please explain this Mr. Rationality.....

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#123 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

I ignored it the first time you called me an idiot, now you spout off and do it again. Well, you know what...f*** you. I explained what I thought and apparently I'm irrational for believing the Wings can pull off something that is against the odds. How exactly is that irrational? Please explain this Mr. Rationality.....

I don't know how to explain it more explicitly: you think that anyone saying the Wings are done aren't fans. That's ignoring the facts, ignorant, asinine, etc.

#124 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:07 PM

Technically, I said:

It may be kind of a with-me-or-against-me mentality, but when I see people saying, "They're done." I just don't feel like they're on 'our' side. We should stand united, through thick and thin, and always back the Red and White.

I said I don't feel like they're on our side.

It's one thing to state your opinion that you don't think they're gonna do it. It's another to say they can't do it. The latter doesn't speak much of a fan. If you can consider that being a fan, it's a fair-weather fan at best. Because after all, fans support their team no matter what, right? What do we call people who only like their team when they are winning? Oh ya.

I realize the odds have been against the Wings, they had to win four in a row, which has only been done 3 times, ever. I witnessed one of those times, what were the odds in seeing that? They've now won two in a row. They now have to win two in a row. Do you know what they just did? Won two in a row. There is enough negativity around here as it is, we don't need Wings fans coming to Wings forums to be negative. That my friend, is asinine.

#125 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

Re: who is a fan and who is not.....seriously? The Wings are on the verge of an epic comeback, one I myself didn't think it was possible for them to make, and instead we're pissing in the wind about what constitutes a fan and what doesn't?

Ooooooooooookay.

Now, back on topic. When we went down 3-0 and were generally playing like sacks of crap, I didn't think it was possible for them to be on the verge of forcing a 7th game. I'm beyond ecstatic that they've done what they've done, especially since it looked like they wouldn't have the chance to do it. I always enjoy when the Red Wings prove me wrong.

Edited by Electrophile, 10 May 2011 - 06:36 PM.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#126 thegreat66

thegreat66

Rookie

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

I've watched more playoff hockey this year than any year before. Seen every team play. Trust me as an outsider, Wings are winning the Cup. Boston might give you a a few headaches if they beat Tampa but you're gonna roll the Canucks and Luongo. Sedin Brothers are going to put to shame by the Detroit crew.

#127 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:51 PM

Oh you of little faith...
Posted Image

#128 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:57 PM

I've watched more playoff hockey this year than any year before. Seen every team play. Trust me as an outsider, Wings are winning the Cup. Boston might give you a a few headaches if they beat Tampa but you're gonna roll the Canucks and Luongo. Sedin Brothers are going to put to shame by the Detroit crew.

We have another game to win before we go anywhere. But hey, I always said they could do it. They have come too far to lose the next one.

#129 Flip-check

Flip-check

kicking ass and taking Cups

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:56 AM

Now, back on topic. When we went down 3-0 and were generally playing like sacks of crap, I didn't think it was possible for them to be on the verge of forcing a 7th game. I'm beyond ecstatic that they've done what they've done, especially since it looked like they wouldn't have the chance to do it. I always enjoy when the Red Wings prove me wrong.

I know, 3-3 from 0-3 is amazing. I didn't think much of the Wings play in the first three games, but now..

Looking forward to Game 7! It's great they came back.

No, it's definitely excitement.

#130 winger30

winger30

Rookie

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:01 AM

HEH! i just signed up on this board but my 2 cents you guys are acting like bitter rivals here are we not all here for the same thing? to support our team through thick and thin NO MATTER the circumstance I LOVE THIS TEAM GWG!!!!!
Balanced is probably what I am, although that's just a polite way to say that you don't do anything very well.
Steve Yzerman

VK/SM believe!

#131 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:33 AM

HEH! i just signed up on this board but my 2 cents you guys are acting like bitter rivals here are we not all here for the same thing? to support our team through thick and thin NO MATTER the circumstance I LOVE THIS TEAM GWG!!!!!

Some of us are here to support the team. Some others, for some reason, feel the need to try and spread their negativism.

Wonder how many of these naysayers believe now. Why wouldn't they? The Wings are winning. I sure hope it's ok for me to believe now. I wouldn't want to be irrational or anything...

#132 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

Some of us are here to support the team. Some others, for some reason, feel the need to try and spread their negativism.

Wonder how many of these naysayers believe now. Why wouldn't they? The Wings are winning. I sure hope it's ok for me to believe now. I wouldn't want to be irrational or anything...

I like when people attempt to take shots at me, like my self-worth as a fan is predicated on whether other fans like me.

#133 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

I like when people attempt to take shots at me, like my self-worth as a fan is predicated on whether other fans like me.

Agreed. Let's pump the brakes people. We are all here to cheer this team on through the best of times and worst. Similar to a marriage Posted Image jk ;)

But seriously, taking shots at other fans for not being as "supportive" is silly. I only say this because I don't really care for everyone trying to measure their fandom to others. It's quite silly. GO WINGS now and forever!!!!! Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#134 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:38 AM

Please stop and quit dogging people for being realistic without saying stuff like "THIS TEAM SUCKS OR HAS NO DRIVE" or things similar.

When this series was 0-3, many people in here were simply just playing the odds and being realistic and it was safe to assume that the series was all but over. The general consensus was that and very few of these people were throwing individual players under the bus, they weren't roasting the goalie, they weren't wanting a firesale of a new roster. Just that when you are down 0-3, the odds are slim and none, nothing more/less. I can bet you pretty much all these people went in to watch game 4 as well wanting and hoping that the Wings could keep their season alive. Count me in this general consensus.

And let's get one thing clear, in a similar/we believe thread where it was pretty much just a homer pom-pom cheerleader thread, I dogged people who basically were condescending towards others for continuing to believe no matter how terrible the odds are.

I consider myself a hopeful optimist most the time but I'm not going to deny when the odds are slim and none. Give up? No. But I'm not going to ignore when the odds are crappy. I'm really sick of seeing fans of both sides in here belittling the other side. You want to be an eternal optimist who is nothing but a cheerleader? Great, more power to ya, I understand where you are coming from and I like that you are one of these people. Don't belittle others for being realistic and nothing more/less when the odds are not in your favor. And if you are one of those people that in the end want to tell people I told you so, don't do it where the mood is one of being a cheerleader or one of hope.

Pretty much everybody here wants the Red Wings to win regardless of how they display their attitudes or emotions or whatever.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 11 May 2011 - 10:40 AM.

#135 thegreat66

thegreat66

Rookie

• Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

I'm an outsider but I honestly always believed Wings could come back; especially given how close the first 3 losses were. That's why I bet them when they were down 3-0 and getting 50:1 odds to win the Cup(my eyes almost popped out of my head). This team has too much damn talent and character to not take a shot at those odds down 3-0 or not.

#136 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:44 AM

I like when people single me out and call me af****** idiot for believing a team can do something that has been done before, in the last year none the less. Sorry for supporting the Wings on a Wings site. I'll try to hate the Wings more when things get rough.

Agreed. Let's pump the brakes people. We are all here to cheer this team on through the best of times and worst. Similar to a marriage jk ;)

But seriously, taking shots at other fans for not being as "supportive" is silly. I only say this because I don't really care for everyone trying to measure their fandom to others. It's quite silly. GO WINGS now and forever!!!!!

That's the problem, no we are not. Most of us are, yes. Then there are the pompous assholes that want to call people idiots for believing the improbable can happen and run around saying it can't be done. I realize the odds. Everybody does. There is no mystery what a task the Wings were facing, and are still not done with. If you go back and read this thread, it was a post I said we should stand united and back the red and white that I was called an irrational idiot for. That, I don't appreciate simply for believing in our team. And if you were to go back and read my first post in this thread, I admitted it is unlikely it would happen, but I also said it was possible and I still believe.

I guess taking shots at supportive fans isn't silly. Forgive me for being so irrational and standing up for this team on a site dedicated to them.

Sorry for making this into an ordeal, really, but I'm not gonna sit by, on a Wings site and let these tools ruin thef****** parade with their pessimistic 'rationality'. If the Wings win game seven, they're just gonna come out and be like...'they'll never get by the Canucks ', or some other bulls*** drivel. Have somef****** backbone and quit whining.

#137 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

Knock it off already. You're not the authority on what does or does not constitute a fan, the same as no one else here is. Some fans are more pessimistic, some fans are more optimistic. We're all still fans, and nothing you say is going to change that.

This armchair psychoanalysis has to stop.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#138 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:50 AM

Let's all have another beer for last night's amazing game and call it even, yeah?

Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#139 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:54 AM

Knock it off already. You're not the authority on what does or does not constitute a fan, the same as no one else here is. Some fans are more pessimistic, some fans are more optimistic. We're all still fans, and nothing you say is going to change that.

This armchair psychoanalysis has to stop.

I'm not trying to be. Not at all. I'm appalled everyone is so tolerant of this crap. Incredible site overrun with rampant crybabies. Say what you want about the team, ultimately, it won't affect me. But it does make our fan base look like a bunch of whiny little *******, which is exactly what all the others say about us and will continue to. Sorry for calling the kettle black.

#140 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:57 AM

I don't give two figs and a half what people from some other fan base think of me, or think of anyone else who roots for the Red Wings. I don't. So they can think we're all "whiny little *******." That's their problem, not mine.

If you don't like the way the modmins here run the site re: what people are allowed to say about the Red Wings, please feel free to contact a moderator or Matt himself and complain. However leave the rest of us out of it.