• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 ACallToArms

ACallToArms

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 862 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

I voted no. People tend to get a bit obsessed and go through your post history negging every single post.

Give a time limit. After a week or so a post can't be +'ed or -'ed. Not sure if this is feasible but would solve the problem.

#22 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:41 PM

and why does it not belong in "General" Discussion, where the majority of the users visit exclusively (you know, the ones who would vote and give their input)

I think the power trips on here as to what gets merged, deleted, moved, etc... is very arbitrary on this board and very rarely seems to have any continuity...

but that's fine, move a topic which brought up a genuine concern to an annex sub-board of LGW where almost no one is likely to see it <_<

General Discussion
Discuss the Detroit Red Wings, NHL, or hockey in general here!

OMG! Whatever was I thinking pulling a thread that has nothing whatsoever to do with hockey from a portion of the forum dedicated to hockey and moving it to a place appropriate for all topics?
Yeah, that's one heck of a power trip I'm on.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#23 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:58 PM

General Discussion
Discuss the Detroit Red Wings, NHL, or hockey in general here!

OMG! Whatever was I thinking pulling a thread that has nothing whatsoever to do with hockey from a portion of the forum dedicated to hockey and moving it to a place appropriate for all topics?
Yeah, that's one heck of a power trip I'm on.

fair enough, I can see why it wouldn't belong there in the general sense, it just bugs me with how many other topics slip through the cracks that don't really have anything to do with hockey in the general forum, especially when we all know that the general discussion forum is the place that most people go and don't even give these sub-forums a second look, so it seems like this will be a topic that will just be brushed under the rug and ignored, even though the vast majority seem to agree here...

Also, the power trip comment was not directed at you directly... I just think the mods as a whole go a little overboard on this board at times policing things that do not need to be, while allowing things that should be policed to fly freely and yes, I have PM'ed several mods about this before, and it almost always seems to just be brushed under the rug...

Edited by stevkrause, 05 May 2011 - 12:59 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#24 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

I agree with GMR - away with all the +/- thing. I hate a system where everyone is trying to be popular and hunt for plusses (or "thumbs up" in YouTube). It just kills the actual conversation when you always get tons of minus if you disagree with something. Even if you make a good point and some people disagree and give you minus, people start giving you even more minus and they "ignore" your opinions, mainly because they don't agree with them themselves.

That's not how it should work.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#25 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:15 PM

I apologize if I've missed a topic that didn't belong in GD - it's something I try to stay on top of. Matt likes the forums organized.

Yes, we do miss things sometimes, but if you tell anyone I said that, I'll deny it. We're a pretty democratic bunch, though. If one mod isn't sure about something, they'll put it to the rest of us and get a consensus.

The only thing I can suggest about this topic is that you PM Matt and ask him if he'll turn it into an announcement - that will bring it to member's attention without being in GD.
Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#26 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:51 PM

I apologize if I've missed a topic that didn't belong in GD - it's something I try to stay on top of. Matt likes the forums organized.

Yes, we do miss things sometimes, but if you tell anyone I said that, I'll deny it. We're a pretty democratic bunch, though. If one mod isn't sure about something, they'll put it to the rest of us and get a consensus.

The only thing I can suggest about this topic is that you PM Matt and ask him if he'll turn it into an announcement - that will bring it to member's attention without being in GD.

thank you, granted my sample size isn't that large (only about 3 or 4 requests), but this is the first time that a mod actually gave me a suggestion to a solution instead of blowing me off, I appreciate it

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#27 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

I agree with GMR - away with all the +/- thing. I hate a system where everyone is trying to be popular and hunt for plusses (or "thumbs up" in YouTube). It just kills the actual conversation when you always get tons of minus if you disagree with something. Even if you make a good point and some people disagree and give you minus, people start giving you even more minus and they "ignore" your opinions, mainly because they don't agree with them themselves.

That's not how it should work.

I think it's better to have the +/- than a thread derailed by bickering between people. I understand that many people get bent out of shape about what their rating is, but it really shouldn't matter. This is the internet and who really cares what a stranger thinks about you. I think we should all be respectful of everyone's opinion on here and if you disagree but don't have anything productive to add to the thread, then just give the post a - and move on. I didn't go around giving out a - simply because I didn't like someone, I would only do it if I felt strongly about the comment.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#28 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:23 PM

I think it's better to have the +/- than a thread derailed by bickering between people. I understand that many people get bent out of shape about what their rating is, but it really shouldn't matter. This is the internet and who really cares what a stranger thinks about you. I think we should all be respectful of everyone's opinion on here and if you disagree but don't have anything productive to add to the thread, then just give the post a - and move on. I didn't go around giving out a - simply because I didn't like someone, I would only do it if I felt strongly about the comment.

Agreed 100%, well said!

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#29 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

thank you, granted my sample size isn't that large (only about 3 or 4 requests), but this is the first time that a mod actually gave me a suggestion to a solution instead of blowing me off, I appreciate it

You're welcome. Now where's my "+"? :lol:

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#30 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

I don't like the idea of having people know who gave them a + or -. That only leads to retaliation. If I disagree with Edith, I may or may not give her a - depending on how she wrote the post. There are plenty of people whose posts I like and who I respect despite being polar opposite in opinion.

On the other hand, I have given my friends a - on posts that merited a -. Of course if they are my friends, it has to be really, really, really bad to get a -. Friends have to do very little to get a +, but I tend to give those out pretty freely in general.

I do agree that the + without the - is kind of pointless.

I like the separate + and - readings for each post. That's a cool idea.

That's just my opinion on the subject. In the course of human events, it is about as important as counting the holes in your cheese.

#31 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

I like the idea of telling you who voted for your post either way.

Would allow some people to realise I think their hockey opinion is a load of s***e.

Why don't you just do it the old fashioned way and tell them?
If I think someone's post is bad, I either ignore it or I reply and tell them why I think it's bad.

If it's good, I plus em or tell 'em why I think it's good.

#32 Jedi

Jedi

Christmastime is buzzing in my skull...

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,827 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

Yes, we do miss things sometimes, but if you tell anyone I said that, I'll deny it.

This. We do our best, but it's inevitable that there will be times when the Mods aren't here, and may miss a thread in the wrong area. Just like regular LGW members, we have jobs, families, lives, etc away from this Forum.

As far as the +/- system... I'm indifferent. I like the - capability, as it can let members voice disagreement without having to spend alot of time working out a long detailed response (perfect for us lazy mods). However, it's a system that already has a reputation for abuse.

We're a pretty democratic bunch, though. If one mod isn't sure about something, they'll put it to the rest of us and get a consensus.

Complete with filibustering, lobbying, bribes, public service announcements, crying, extortion, mud-slinging, whining, broken promises... And that's just NeverForgetMac25... :ph34r:

"And the best, I must confess, I have saved for the last, for the ruler of this Christmas land,

is a fearsome king with a deep mighty voice, least, that's what I've come to understand.

And I've also heard it told, that he's something to behold, like a lobster, huge and red!

When he sets out to slay with his rain gear on, carting bulging sacks with his big great arms, that is so I've heard it said.

And on a dark cold night, under full moon light, he flies into a fog like a vulture in the sky!

And they call him Sandy Claws!

#33 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

You're welcome. Now where's my "+"? :lol:

done and done, haha

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#34 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,076 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

Posts like this don't make you want to change your mind?

http://www.letsgowin...f-jimmy-howard/

No, because it's pointless.

All the responses in that thread have already told everyone what most people think of the OP's ideas. The plus/minus doesn't add anything to that.

Also, like the post below yours says, the system was abused too much.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 May 2011 - 07:48 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#35 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:47 PM

I'm all for bringing the - back if such a method can be made where you can only - any specific member's posts a limited amount of times in a certain time period, not so much on limiting the certain amount of times in itself that you can use the feature. Not sure if that is feasible or not.

I rarely got into the act of + or - but I do think it's cool. But I immediately got suspicious and curious of it when my reputation shot downward in a matter of probably a day or two into the -100s right after the system started. Not trying to play the woe is me card, I don't lose sleep of what people in here might think of me, I don't care about reputation, I am who I am and nobody here is going to change that and I like who I am. Again it was more of a curiousity thing on my part and basically it is just to point out another example of abuse or perhaps members not liking certain people.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 05 May 2011 - 08:48 PM.

#36 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hell no. There's too many adolescent, pre-pubescent little snots here who love to do nothing more than spam peoples' posts, regardless of the content therein, and it's basically harassment. It happened when the function existed originally, and you damn well know it will happen again if it's brought back. It doesn't foster discussion, community, or even respect. It's pointless and useless. Not to mention, cowardly. If someone posts "You know, I think Jimmy Howard really isn't that great of a goalie" and gets 20 -1's......how is that a constructive discussion? Why didn't those 20 people quote the post and say "You know, I disagree......."?

If you don't like someone's post, you just ignore it. If you like someone's post, you give them a +1.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:25 PM

We need to get rid of the plus and the minus.

They're both rather silly, imo.

This board should not be used as a place where one has to care about whether their opinion is popular or not. We're not in high school.

Agreed.

Honestly I would like to have the minus rating back if it would function as intended, where people would neg posts where the person was off topic, trolling, or generally being an idiot. But too often people get neg ratings for an opinion that was well stated, just because it's unpopular. And with the thought police that are here now, I can only assume it would be much worse.

Even with just the plus rating, people have gone around just running up each others plus counts, so it's not really functioning as intended either way. I would've voted for getting rid of both if it were an option. This place has gotten high school enough as it is.

#38 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

I thought we were worrying about Lidstrom's +/- all year????
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#39 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

I have re-enabled the negative rating, with the anti-spamming safeguard of 24-hour caps on the number of +/- reps you can give. We'll see how this goes (I prefer to have both available, too) and if the caps need to be adjusted I'll do that.

(I believe in a future forum update that posts that hit a certain neg rating will either lighten and/or be made invisible. So the option may be for that down the road, too.)

#40 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:56 PM

well..my reputation is on the positive side for now so i guess this was my Stanley cup celebration.
it wont be too long now til the offseason im back to being on the negative! :yowza: :hehe:

i wonder how Carmen feels aboot this! :ph34r:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users