61 replies to this topic

#41 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:59 PM

Well, you're right for one game :)

What we need now is a dominating game. If we lose game 5, well, we all know what the big problem there is finding something else interesting on TV since the Wings won't be playing anymore.

If we win game 5, by a slight margin, we're still down, and probably wearing out faster than the Sharks at this point. Games 6, and 7 will be progressively more difficult. It's not so much about playing the odds of the series score, as much as it is gauging the amount of effort, and exhaustion that comes with making a slow comeback from such a series. Philly did it last year, but they didn't win the cup, and looked beat to death against chicago much of the time. Every game gets harder as a series goes on, and this applies to both teams, but it tends to seem to affect the team that is fighting for survival more. Game 5 will be harder.

This is why, in order to have a shot in this series, we obviously need to win game 5, but even more important is we need to blow them out in game five.

As proven in game 4, a 3 goal lead is not a safe lead. Unfortunate, because usually it would be.

We need to blow them out in game 5, if we want to push it to 7. Blow them out in game 5, put them on their heels, make them question what they have, and create a sense of urgency. Force them to play aggressive, and hopefully sloppy in game 6.

Their goaltending was solid again, but shakier. And now we're scoring on spin-o-rama's, and pond skip bounce style shots. Two "NO WAY DID THAT GO IN!!!" goals in one game, will perhaps inspire the wings to take the uncalculated shot, take the sloppy shot, and just shoot, shoot, shoot. We beat Niemi twice on very strange shots. OK, if he wants to play a perfect game against a perfect system, perhaps we just need to shoot ANYTHING at him. Cause it worked once, and if it works again.... Crush a goalies confidence, and he loses skill points :)

Game 5 really doesn't mean much (Aside from total elimination), because we still have two chances to lose it, versus 1 chance to win it, even if we do win it.

We need a blow out.

Something to make them realize, we are not done. We don't need to squeak by with a 3-2 style win, we need a good solid 5-1 type win.

So my call to all LGW fans is get TWO lucky rabbits foots, pray, meditate, and Sacrifice a goat (I don't care, steal one if you have to, we need all the gods covered).

that really helped the hawks. I Will take whatever a win is a Win
Posted Image

#42 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

I disagree... the Wings tend to not be very good after blowing out teams in the playoffs... (Ducks in 2007 game 3, Pens 2009 game 5, Sharks last year). I find that the Wings stand a better chance by winning more of close games because that is what good teams do. IMO Wings want to win game 5 by something like 4-2 then head back to the joe for a game 6. Let game 7 be the blowout for the wings.

#43 Grayne Wetzky

Grayne Wetzky

Rookie

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:37 PM

I disagree... the Wings tend to not be very good after blowing out teams in the playoffs... (Ducks in 2007 game 3, Pens 2009 game 5, Sharks last year). I find that the Wings stand a better chance by winning more of close games because that is what good teams do. IMO Wings want to win game 5 by something like 4-2 then head back to the joe for a game 6. Let game 7 be the blowout for the wings.

Ahhhhhhh. The memories of Patrick Roy and that torching the Wings gave him. I was so stunned that night, that I was actually disappointed in about 1% of my body that the game wasn't going to be exciting. The other 99% was jumping for joy!

#44 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

LOL but that game was exciting for me. Granted I was only 11 at the time and loved Sergei Federov so seeing him and the rest of the Wings light up the "unstoppable" Patrick Roy was amzing and truly exciting for the ENTIRE game lmao. With that said, after the trouble the Sharks have given the Wings the past couple years, if we get to a game 7, i would LOVE for the boys in red and white to send the sharks out with a bang.

More importantly though is that the Wings somehow come back and win... i dont care the score just win dammit!

#45 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

Ahhhhhhh. The memories of Patrick Roy and that torching the Wings gave him. I was so stunned that night, that I was actually disappointed in about 1% of my body that the game wasn't going to be exciting. The other 99% was jumping for joy!

Haha i was thinking the same thing when he mentioned a game seven blowout! Is that sad? Or awesome?

#46 Grayne Wetzky

Grayne Wetzky

Rookie

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:36 AM

Haha i was thinking the same thing when he mentioned a game seven blowout! Is that sad? Or awesome?

I would lean toward the side of AWESOME!

#47 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:19 PM

What makes anyone think that the Wings are going to Win this series???????????? Listen I LOVE the Wings absolutely love them and I did believe they could win this series until I saw Game 4, the Wings blew a 3 goal lead. I'm not trying to discredit the Sharks but a winning Wings team does not do that. I think it's going to be just like last season and they are out tonight. I'm not giving up hope and faith in my team but the last game in my opnion was disgusting. The only game it looked liked the Wings were playing hard was Game 1 I mean that's just my opnion. This team will have to gride like they haven't grinded in a long time to win this series. I hope I will eat these words but I don't think I will.

#48 Sergei Fedorov91

Sergei Fedorov91

Touchdown

• PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

They will win tonight. I don't know about game 6 but they will win tonight. Gonna carry on that detroit mojo from Justin Verlanders no hitter lol.

#49 RedLightGoesOn

RedLightGoesOn

Playoff Ice...if you know what I mean

• PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:18 PM

What drive by the Wings tonight. They looked like the Tampa Bay Lightning have in recent games, just refusing to give up and play like they know they can score if they put in the effort.
40 for life.

#50 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 07:31 AM

What makes anyone think that the Wings are going to Win this series???????????? Listen I LOVE the Wings absolutely love them and I did believe they could win this series until I saw Game 4, the Wings blew a 3 goal lead. I'm not trying to discredit the Sharks but a winning Wings team does not do that. I think it's going to be just like last season and they are out tonight. I'm not giving up hope and faith in my team but the last game in my opnion was disgusting. The only game it looked liked the Wings were playing hard was Game 1 I mean that's just my opnion. This team will have to gride like they haven't grinded in a long time to win this series. I hope I will eat these words but I don't think I will.

*cough* Scoreboard *cough*
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#51 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:29 AM

if the wings want to win game 6 they must figure out who they are. are they the team the blew a 3 goal lead in game 4 and and went down by 2 goals twice in game 5, or the team that went up 3-0 in game 4 and came back in game 5. if they can play like the latter for 60 minutes get ready for the most anticipated wings game since "the game we do not name"(we all know what game that is, and i think we should refer to it as that from now on {although im sure that has been brought up before})

#52 Joey v3.4

Joey v3.4

Stoned

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 11:28 AM

Admittedly, my theory on a blowout game, would have been worse than what we actually ended up doing.

A blowout game, a team can say "Eh, we blew it, get back on the horse and ride".

A game like last night, where they had the lead the entire game, and still lost, has got to be more mentally frustrating than anything.

Now I say, a blowout at home, would be nice. That will really make them wonder.

I think last nights game was far from perfect, but that type of win was perfect. Now, if we teeter out a 1 goal win at home, game 7 is anybodies competition. But if we blow them out at home after squeaking out two 1 goal wins, I think it will complete the paradigm shift :)
And Boom goes the Dynamite.

#53 pjgj13

pjgj13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:58 PM

Well, I doubted they could even get to Game 7, but I believed in them!!

Now, I think they can pull this series out and win this series and send the Sharks golfing early!!

GO WINGS!! FINISH THOSE BASTARDS OFF ON THURSDAY AT THE SHARK STANK (NO SPELLING ERROR)!!

#54 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,023 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

:yowza: :yowza: .... :siren: :siren:

#NOMOREKINDL

#55 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:11 PM

Best thread ever. :thumbup:

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#56 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:19 PM

Well, I doubted they could even get to Game 7, but I believed in them!!

And my name is Jim, but it's really Cindy.

#57 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:26 PM

Don't stop believing!

#58 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:29 PM

We believe, and the important thing is the Wings believe as well!
Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#59 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:00 AM

Nice fairytale.

not so much now is it?
be about it!

#60 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

I could be wrong, but last night felt like Niemi's last stand. He was going all out and gave the Sharks every opportunity to win that game and they didn't.