• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
justine paul

Tell Lidstrom we need him for another year!

Rate this topic

Thi ain't Nicks last year. He plays at a top line defenseman caliber, despite his age. If he retired it would certainly not be because he reached a point where he has nothing left to contribute on the ice.

He just scored two goals, in an absolutely vital game, and one of them he swatted a puck out of the air. That shot will be on highlight reels for a week.

To be honest, I think Nick is restrained by Detroit's system.

I honestly do not even believe he has been able to play at his full level of play and mastery this past year, and yet he's still a Norris nominee.

He has spent much of his time being paired with skilled, yet "Still learning" defenseman. He has been playing a system that has largely gone away from defensive shooting, and focused on forwards scoring.

I think he's getting older, and I think sometimes you notice it in his play. A few times this season he seemed a step behind what you'd expect, but the only reason you notice when Lidstrom is a step behind for half a second, is because it's so rare. It's like, if bigfoot walked across the street, you would notice, because it's not normal that bigfoot walks across the street.

He still plays at a level that is worthy of a top two defenseman. And lets not even go into the fact that he is playing as a TOP LINE DEFENSEMAN, yet guys like Chelios wound down their career by playing 2nd and 3rd string.

There is no logic why a defenseman who is still playing on the top line, is anywhere near done. This isn't wishful thinking, or delusion. It's simple fact of matter.

If Lidstrom retires, it will be for his own personal reasons. It will have nothing to do with his production.

Sorry, but I find the arguments that Lidstrom is done a bit presumptuous. Norris nominee. Could win it. None of the other finalists are still in the playoffs, and Nick basically won that game 4 for us. He was the second highest scoring defenseman in the league this season.

Honestly. Think about it. If Nicklas Lidstrom was 21 years old, and did what he did this season, you would be saying, "ZOMG!!! THIS GUY IS GOING TO BE GREAT!!!"

Honestly. If a 21 year old young defenseman did what he (Lidstrom) did this year, you'd assume he had superstar potential. You would think he was one of, if not the most promising young defense-man in the league.

Well he did it at 40-41 years old.

These arguments are all originated because of his age. Lidstrom has never said he's retiring. The organization has never even hinted at it.

You are all looking at his age, and jumping to conclusions.

So stop :-p

But I'll sign the petition anyway, to help sway his personal reasons in our favor :)

P.S. This rant is not geared at anyone posting above. It is a generalized rant, to all :-p

Edited by Joey v3.4

Guest Grayne Wetzky

We'll always need Lidstrom for another year. :P

It's true!

I'm praying to God that Lidstrom's future goes like this:

1) Norris this year - Average TOI = 23-24 minutes, top pairing

2) 2011-2012 season - Average TOI = 22-23 minutes, top pairing

3) 2012-2013 season - Average TOI = 21-22 minutes, second pairing

4) 2013-2014 season - Average TOI = 20-21 minutes, second pairing

5) 2014-2015 season - Average TOI = 19-20 minutes, second pairing

6) 2015-2016 season - Average TOI = 15-16 minutes, 3rd paring

7) 2016-2017 season - Average TOI = 14-15 minutes, 3rd pairing

Retire.

Guest mjtm77

Thi ain't Nicks last year. He plays at a top line defenseman caliber, despite his age. If he retired it would certainly not be because he reached a point where he has nothing left to contribute on the ice.

He just scored two goals, in an absolutely vital game, and one of them he swatted a puck out of the air. That shot will be on highlight reels for a week.

To be honest, I think Nick is restrained by Detroit's system.

I honestly do not even believe he has been able to play at his full level of play and mastery this past year, and yet he's still a Norris nominee.

He has spent much of his time being paired with skilled, yet "Still learning" defenseman. He has been playing a system that has largely gone away from defensive shooting, and focused on forwards scoring.

I think he's getting older, and I think sometimes you notice it in his play. A few times this season he seemed a step behind what you'd expect, but the only reason you notice when Lidstrom is a step behind for half a second, is because it's so rare. It's like, if bigfoot walked across the street, you would notice, because it's not normal that bigfoot walks across the street.

He still plays at a level that is worthy of a top two defenseman. And lets not even go into the fact that he is playing as a TOP LINE DEFENSEMAN, yet guys like Chelios wound down their career by playing 2nd and 3rd string.

There is no logic why a defenseman who is still playing on the top line, is anywhere near done. This isn't wishful thinking, or delusion. It's simple fact of matter.

If Lidstrom retires, it will be for his own personal reasons. It will have nothing to do with his production.

Sorry, but I find the arguments that Lidstrom is done a bit presumptuous. Norris nominee. Could win it. None of the other finalists are still in the playoffs, and Nick basically won that game 4 for us. He was the second highest scoring defenseman in the league this season.

Honestly. Think about it. If Nicklas Lidstrom was 21 years old, and did what he did this season, you would be saying, "ZOMG!!! THIS GUY IS GOING TO BE GREAT!!!"

Honestly. If a 21 year old young defenseman did what he (Lidstrom) did this year, you'd assume he had superstar potential. You would think he was one of, if not the most promising young defense-man in the league.

Well he did it at 40-41 years old.

These arguments are all originated because of his age. Lidstrom has never said he's retiring. The organization has never even hinted at it.

You are all looking at his age, and jumping to conclusions.

So stop :-p

But I'll sign the petition anyway, to help sway his personal reasons in our favor :)

P.S. This rant is not geared at anyone posting above. It is a generalized rant, to all :-p

he cant play at the level he use to be able to play at. Players hate that, even if he is playing great he is not the same Nick as the one years ago.

Edited by mjtm77

To the poster above, Nick has said countless times that he will retire once he feels he can no longer play on the top pairing... he will never go to the 2nd or 3rd pairing in other words... with that said he still has another good 2 years in him on a top pairing... Hopefully i get to talk to Nick this year again when his son has a hockey tryout game in my town; that was awesome last year getting to talk to him for like 20 minutes. Of course, just like last year, I will put my good word in for him to come back.

I signed it, I hope he stays another year. I want to see some of our younger Defensemen up in Detroit but I'm not ready to see Liddy retire. I think he still has some great hockey left in him for at least one more season. I just don't want this to turn into another Chelly thing where he didn't retire when he should have but I don't think that will happen. I think Lidstrom stays one more season and than is done but I don't know I guess we'll just have to wait and see.