• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

b.shanafan14

Clowe suckering Abdelkader

Rate this topic

I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole-hill in this situation, but nothing gets under my skin like a spot-picking sucker puncher. At the end of Game 4, 5 seconds left, Clowe clocks Abdelkader with several gloved punches right off the draw, then proceeds to lay into him with more as the clueless linesman tries to tie up Abdelkader. This is the kind of crap that I believe has no place in the game of hockey and should be cracked down on. I'm pro fighting, pro nastiness, but this premeditated cheapshot crap is infuriating. Both players got double minors for roughing on the scorecard and that was that. The way I see it, that is the exact spirit of the "instigator in the last minutes equals automatic suspension" rule (the one conveniently overrided in 2009 when Malkin jumped Z). And then I'm reading an article about Lidstrom on MLive and I see this in the notes:

Sharks forward Ryane Clowe picked a fight with Justin Abdelkader following a faceoff at the end of the game and landed numerous punches. But both players received double minors for roughing.

“Just a little scrum,'' Clowe said. “I wish it was (Niklas) Kronwall lined up against me. Oh well.”

So the intent to goon was there in a losing effort due to frustration, he would have liked to go after one of our top two defensemen but he ended up having to settle on Abdelkader.

Full article: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/05/red_wings_nicklas_lidstrom_put.html

Edited by b.shanafan14

Yes, it was a BS move by Clowe, and probably deserves the instigator suspension. It was blatant goonery right in front of the ref. However, in today's NHL, its a crapshoot how the game will be officiated. Just like your example with Malkin during the 2009 playoffs. I try to not let it get to me because it is what it is, its just another obstacle the Wings have to overcome and watch out for.

Just be happy you're a fan of a team that doesn't resort to that kind of unsportsmanlike crap.

Free punches! Come and get yer free punches! Happens to the Wings all the f***in time. Clowe easily should've gotten the instigator there and suspended, but we all know he won't. Because that's the kind of "non-premeditated" stuff they want to keep in the game, you know heat-of-the-moment type stuff with 1 second left in the game that's NOT a message sending type of act.

If Clowe was punching Crosby at the end there he would've already been suspended before we got up this morning.

esteef

I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole-hill in this situation, but nothing gets under my skin like a spot-picking sucker puncher. At the end of Game 4, 5 seconds left, Clowe clocks Abdelkader with several gloved punches right off the draw, then proceeds to lay into him with more as the clueless linesman tries to tie up Abdelkader. This is the kind of crap that I believe has no place in the game of hockey and should be cracked down on. I'm pro fighting, pro nastiness, but this premeditated cheapshot crap is infuriating. Both players got double minors for roughing on the scorecard and that was that. The way I see it, that is the exact spirit of the "instigator in the last minutes equals automatic suspension" rule (the one conveniently overrided in 2009 when Malkin jumped Z). And then I'm reading an article about Lidstrom on MLive and I see this in the notes:

So the intent to goon was there in a losing effort due to frustration, he would have liked to go after one of our top two defensemen but he ended up having to settle on Abdelkader.

Full article: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/05/red_wings_nicklas_lidstrom_put.html

If you didn't want to make a mountain out of a molehill you never would have chosen the title you did. Either that or you clearly don't know what a sucker punch is. Now don't get me wrong, I think Clowe is a stupid player and a stupid sucker punch isn't beyond the realm of his intellect, but it didn't happen in this case. Just because one guy gets the gloves off first in a face-to-face situation - that doesn't make him a sucker puncher. A sucker punch is one that comes from a blind side and usually drops you (Bertuzzi/Moore being a prime example). You're trying your best to make it sound like Abdelkader got his clock cleaned in an unfair manner by a guy who jumped him from behind, but that just didn't happen. They were face to face and Abdelkader is fine.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

If you didn't want to make a mountain out of a molehill you never would have chosen the title you did. Either that or you clearly don't know what a sucker punch is. Now don't get me wrong, I think Clowe is a stupid player and a stupid sucker punch isn't beyond the realm of his intellect, but it didn't happen in this case. Just because one guy gets the gloves off first in a face-to-face situation - that doesn't make him a sucker puncher. A sucker punch is one that comes from a blind side and usually drops you (Bertuzzi/Moore being a prime example). You're trying your best to make it sound like Abdelkader got his clock cleaned in an unfair manner by a guy who jumped him from behind, but that just didn't happen. They were face to face and Abdelkader is fine.

Domi on Samuelsson is another great example of a suckerpunch.

I wish Abby obliged Clowe there instead of acting like some "clueless" idiot who's never been in a hockey fight.

Domi on Samuelsson is another great example of a suckerpunch.

I wish Abby obliged Clowe there instead of acting like some "clueless" idiot who's never been in a hockey fight.

I would have loved to have seen that too. But it's hard for me to hate Clowe because he's so clueless that he's just as often a detriment to his team as he is an asset. I think he should have probably got an instigator penalty though.

Well, Clowe sure got his money 's worth for only a double minor. He wished it was Kronwall? Why because he his upset that Kronner LEGALLY destroyed "The Murderer"? I say put a nice cross check to Clowe's throat if the game gets out of hand, or how about a home-run swing to the back of his neck? Or a butt end to his face? Sucker punch? No, but it was his intent to goon it up and he did FIGHT. Dropping gloves and landing punches is not roughing, it's fighting. Just another example of the refs not having the BALLS to make the right call and the NHL not having the BALLS to impose the correct discipline. Same Malkin, the refs made the right call, THEN rescinded the call so the NHL would not have to suspend him. I have no doubt that a call was made by the NHL to rescind the instigator. Whatever, it's all under the bridge, but it goes to show how inconsistent the officiating is in the NHL...

Hey Clowe, how about you line up across from me for one face off? I ain't gonna fight you, but my Aluminum stick will look great up side your ******* fat head!

Hey ***** Heatly, you still cry-babying over a clean hit? By the way Danny Snyder says hi... :ranting:

Edited by LeftWinger

A sucker punch is not only from the blindside. Its when one person takes advantage of another's compromised position. In this case Abdelkader was completely tied up by the linesman (not Clowe's fault exactly), and he proceeded to pound away, knowing that Abby could do absolutely nothing to block or return the hits.

Text book sucker, imo.

A sucker punch is not only from the blindside. Its when one person takes advantage of another's compromised position. In this case Abdelkader was completely tied up by the linesman (not Clowe's fault exactly), and he proceeded to pound away, knowing that Abby could do absolutely nothing to block or return the hits.

Text book sucker, imo.

"Not Clowe's fault" and "text book sucker" does not compute.

Guest Grayne Wetzky

This is NOT what the Red Wings need to be worried about. They need to be worried about what they do when they get a lead. WHY are they playing more passively as the game goes on? I'm sick of this "play within the system" attitude I keep hearing. PLAY LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW. AKA Play like Darren Helm. Babcock needs to get the guys that aren't playing like that out of the line-up.

Did the linesman throw the punches? Please explain your logic to me.

My logic is clear in my above quote of yours. The quote points out a problem with your logic.

Additionally, definitions of everything from "superstar" to "suckerpunch" are routinely stretched nowadays. The original definitions of the terms erode into something nearly unrecognizable from what they once were because people don't have a clear understanding of what the terms meant in the first place. Or, people attempt to stretch "superstar" to include their favourite player who is good but not great, or in the case of "suckerpunch", an opponent whom they want to demonize. The result is that others read it and go on to perpetuate the mistake and somewhere an English teacher cries alone in the dark.

Glad to see this thread has been reduced to arguing semantics of the term "sucker punch". To clarify in hopes of salvaging the topic, what I referred to as sucker punching were the initial blows, with Abdelkader facing forward while Clowe got in 2 or 3 quick, gloved jabs before finally dropping the gloves and laying into a still unconsenting opponent (aka, the Jordan Tootoo). Whether or not Abdelkader should have or could have fought back is a moot point, as is the stupidity of the linesman for grabbing the non-aggressor first. While not in line with the most egregious examples (such as Bertuzzi on Moore), it doesn't change the fact that it was a series of punches to an unsuspecting player, premeditated by the aggressor in the final seconds of a losing effort.

Call it what you want, I believe if the NHL had spine it would have called Clowe for instigating and he would have skybox seats for Game 5. Of course, no one has ever accused the league of proper management so we shouldn't start now :P