• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cali-Wing-Nut

Superstitions

Rate this topic

After tonights game wanted to make a thread about fans superstitions

-Yes I grow a beard

-I wear all red head to toe (covered in tin foil lol)

-If we need a goal Im told by the family to go outside for a smoke cause we always seem to get one when Im on the deck and have to stay out if game is on and we need two.

-I say a preayer for every person on our team even if I dont particularly like them cause they may come through(like Ericsson tonight)

-I dont eat till after a game (no breakfast, lunch or dinner)

-My mom is the final say if we win a game before it starts (she should be a Vegas handicapper lol)

-Always watch the game at my parents houseand always sit in my dads chair (long story going back to 02)

So, What are your superstitions or other things you do to somehow help the team win?

Guest Crymson

I tend to just sit down, watch the game, and assume the Wings will win.

I won't wash my jersey if they won, and I will wear said jersey next game. In this particular series I was confident about the WIngs and they went down 0-3. As soon as I got frustrated and felt like no matter what they did San Jose would win, the Wings started winning. So whether or not I believe it, I feel like I have to continue to be cynical going into Game 6, haha.

same Jersey and hat. In fact I did'nt have it on for the first 2 periods because I had other stuff going on right up to game time and then came in and just sat in my chair for the game. After second period, told wife I needed to changed the Mojo. My jersey and hat went on and the rest is history.

The kids turn our red lava lamp on exactly one hour before game time (been doing this since the mid 90's). I also have a picture of Rally Al (the purple plush octopus you can buy at the Joe) that my daughter made for me handing on the wall. My son has to wear his light up goal helmet and of course we all have jerseys on. I also make my brother in-law go outside a lot as they seem to score when he comes into my house.

I typically wear a jersey whenever a game is on but that's it pretty much. Nothing special and I don't consider that to be the magic solution if my favorite team wins or loses a game or whatever. I don't do anything that stands out. So, I get them and understand why fans can be superstitious but it's not really my cup of tea.

I gave up on the series after being down 3-0. I've been telling myself no way in hell they can win another game. Going into game 6 I really believe there is no way in hell they can win another. So far so good.

Edited by Rush

I drink my coffee out of my only Wings mug on game days only. For playoffs I follow the wearing of whatever lucky clothing I had on for the last winning game, right now it's a 2008 Stanley Cup t-shirt and a Wings sweatshirt. I do my best to always be in front of the tv for the game, must see the puck drop for each period.

In this particular series I was confident about the WIngs and they went down 0-3. As soon as I got frustrated and felt like no matter what they did San Jose would win, the Wings started winning. So whether or not I believe it, I feel like I have to continue to be cynical going into Game 6, haha.

Same here, I don't really care if people call me a bandwagon fan, but I'm going to continue with my pessimism because its working after my optimism for the first 3. I do believe in the Wings in my heart of course, but in my head, I do kind of doubt them sometimes like yesterday, but I do love the pleasant surprise of them winning.

During the first two games, I was decked out in red, but it didn't work for them. Game 3 I wore a blue shirt, and they did play much better, but still didn't win. So, Games 4 and 5 I wore neutral colors and will continue to do so.

My dog is no longer allowed to watch games with me during the playoffs. He wasn't with me during the Phoenix series most of the time, but he watched the first three games of this series with me. As soon as I kicked him out of the room yesterday, the Wings got their first powerplay. Then, my brother (who is not a Wings fan) let him out again later, but as soon as I got him out of there the Wings scored.

I also do not watch any games in one room in my house because I'd rarely watched games in there before, but thats where I watched them lose Game 7 in the SCF.

I also change my computor background a lot, and after they win I don't change it until after they lose. Right before the Sharks series, my brother got on my computor and changed the background to say Losertown or something like that. Its been more or less all Wings pictures for the last couple months or so, but right now its my pets so he has no reason to change it because we don't need anymore bad luck :rolleyes:

LOL wow some of you guys are crazy about your superstitions eh..

The closest thing to a superstition for me, was when I just bought my Howard t-shirt & wore it in game 4, but I completely forgot to change into it last game since I was wearing a super cute summer dress haha.. luckily for me we still pulled out a win. I had to miss some parts of the first 3 games. These last 2 I've watched the full 60 minutes. So as long as I'm watching the game.. were good to go ;)

LOL wow some of you guys are crazy about your superstitions eh..

The closest thing to a superstition for me, was when I just bought my Howard t-shirt & wore it in game 4, but I completely forgot to change into it last game since I was wearing a super cute summer dress haha.. luckily for me we still pulled out a win. I had to miss some parts of the first 3 games. These last 2 I've watched the full 60 minutes. So as long as I'm watching the game.. were good to go ;)

Without photographic proof of said dress, there was no dress. lol.

It depends on the day for me, I guess.

- I grow a playoff beard.

- I don't play NHL-related video games on gameday.

- And for the first 6 games of this year's playoffs I wore my Kronwall jersey and Red Wings snap back.

I couldn't watch Game 3 because I was out with a friend, so I wore my Franzen shirt under my button down - and they lost.

After that, I gave up on superstitions. My girlfriend's birthday was this past weekend so I trimmed the beard back down to normal, I didn't rock any Wings gear and I even got in a couple of games of Slapshot before we left for TC on Friday. Yesterday I wore that same damn Franzen shirt most of the day, but took it off after the 2nd period. The shirt must be cursed. :ph34r:

So from here on out, my usual superstitions are out the window.

Edited by Travis

On game day I always dress myself right side first. My right side I feel is my weaker side so on game days everything is done to the right first, socks, shoes, pants and shirt. I always wear my home Wings jersey as well as my hat and I'm always holding a Detroit Red Wings Towel of some sorts either a playoff towel or a golf towel I got at Training Camp a few years ago. I have to bring out my Rally Al stuffed octipus and he has to be sitting on my tray and he has to be faced watching the game. I have to wear some article of clothing of the Detroit Red Wings for day of game. I do have a playoff beard and I also pray for the team.

During the playoffs I wear the bracelets and change my wallpaper after each game. The last player to score a goal is the wallpaper.

For the last two games I have worn my Robert Lang jersey and Wing Nut hat. I have also eaten spaghetti and drank a Vernor's (last night it took 2). Tuesday and Thursday, I have to work and will not be able to wear the Wings gear, but I have found that if I wear red to work on a game day that it does not work in the Wings' favour, so I will just take a Vernor's to work.

I've been wearing my Howard t-shirt every game (I do wash it, though...I refuse to believe in superstitions that conflict with good hygiene), except for Round 2 Game 1 when I wore my Yzerman jersey...what a mistake. I've also been wearing my playoffs necklace every day. Nothing too unique...I don't get out of bed, turn around 3 times and throw salt over my left shoulder on game day or anything.

Haha, okay, wait, actually I do have something totally off the wall that I do. Right, this is kind of embarrassing, but I secretly think Patrick Marleau, in all his awkwardness, is kind of cute, but he's been doing really badly. After game 3, I figured maybe if I started saying, "Setoguchi is the man!" or "Thornton is my favorite player!" that it would confuse the hockey gods so they would make those players do badly, too. It actually kinda worked, especially in game 5, and especially with Thornton. But just for the record, I refuse to say anything like, "Dan Boyle is a sexy beast," after having seen That One Picture of him. I am way too scarred for life to go that far.

Mostly just playoff superstitions for me. I have two beanie baby octopi that sit or hang (just moved so they changed location) and they must be placed with legs evenly spaced apart and no one can touch them on game day. Last year they were setting and easily bumped by my friends who didnt know any better (sorry guys thats why the sharks got us) this year they are hanging on the wall above the projector screen I watch all the games on. I always have my Z jersey on, but the undershirt changes depending on a win. Games 4 and 5 it has been a shirt with a huge question mark on it (as in WHAT are you guys doing out there) before that it was a white Lids shirt. After the game my Jersey gets hung in my room 40 side out if he went off, Winged Wheel side out if the team played amazing and crumpled in the closet if it was one of those nights.

I used to have a whole ******* routine

Beard, Red shirt for home, White for away.

Sit in a certain seat.

Shoot some pucks.

Then I realized nothing I do can change how the wings play so its whatever now.