• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

drumlife19

Tossing a... catfish.

Rate this topic

Preds fans deserve a lot of credit for their crowds and support during the playoffs, but the catfish thing is just lame.

They really do have a solid fan base though for a southern expansion team.

Hmm.... Even though they lost, I wonder if said fan was thrown out and fined...

http://video.nhl.com...navid=mod-left1

Does Nashville have a city ordinance against throwing objects at sporting events? The Wings fans who have been fined have received that fine under a Detroit city ordinance. The NHL cannot fine a civilian.

Where did they get the catfish idea from, anyone know?

I always assumed that the catfish is thrown because cats like to eat fish, and i think a predator is supposed to be a type of cat. Yes, stupid I know.

I wonder if the NHL and Bettman see to it that those fans got thrown out. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: I am going along the angle of ruining fan experiences in general and not going for Bettman might favor Nasville/insert team name "here" and hates Detroit (which I really do not like it when fans get into that most the time in here, though I do get it)

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

because there is a river that runs through downtown Nashville filled with catfish. and as we all know... rednecks love to fish. but they manily started throwing it on the ice because they wanted to be just like Detroit with our octopi.

Cut em some slack - its entertainment. They're looking for something to call their own. Sure it's a takeoff on us but honestly every time someone throws a 'pus on the ice someone has to explain it to someone. And ours is more of a symbolic tradition since it takes more than 8 to win these days anyways.

The octopus makes sense at least you know. Since the fans have been doing since(well I don't know how long) it took eight wins to the cup but a catfish? Makes no sense, Nashville trying to be like Detroit is just stupid.

Does Nashville have a city ordinance against throwing objects at sporting events? The Wings fans who have been fined have received that fine under a Detroit city ordinance. The NHL cannot fine a civilian.

I would think they have an ordinance like that, however, it's Nashville so who knows.

Well, we started something with the octopus...Catfish in Nashville, rubber rats in Florida (good thing it wasn't real ones!), beef steaks in Calgary, I even heard a salmon got thrown in Vancouver. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Guest Crymson

Where did they get the catfish idea from, anyone know?

We have the octopus. They wanted something similar.

Officer Bullock informed me that the enforcement of Municipal Code 38-5-4 is at the request of the NHL. Evidently, police supervisors were informed Wednesday night, either before or during the game, by League representatives that they don’t want anything thrown on the ice. An officer has to witness the throw and nab the thrower on the spot, but it’s something they can and will enforce. Apparently, distance from players is not an issue: any octopus on the ice is grounds for ejection and a fine. I asked if it applied to hats thrown down for a hat trick and Officer Bullock pointed out it’d be much harder to enforce on hundreds/thousands of hats versus a few octopi.

The interesting part is that the Wings are not the ones asking for it. According to Officer Bullock, they’re fine with the tradition, and even like it. And I gather the police aren’t big fans of enforcing it either. It’s up to the officer’s discretion, so it’s possible fans may still get away with it at times. But with NHL officials pushing for it, it’s less safe to throw than it ever has been. Previously, it may have been a bit of an empty threat. Now it has teeth.

Here`s the link http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/15/no-octopi-fly-zone-nhl-looking-to-eliminate-traditional-octopus-toss-in-detroit/