• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

drumlife19

Tossing a... catfish.

Rate this topic

Officer Bullock informed me that the enforcement of Municipal Code 38-5-4 is at the request of the NHL. Evidently, police supervisors were informed Wednesday night, either before or during the game, by League representatives that they don't want anything thrown on the ice. An officer has to witness the throw and nab the thrower on the spot, but it's something they can and will enforce. Apparently, distance from players is not an issue: any octopus on the ice is grounds for ejection and a fine. I asked if it applied to hats thrown down for a hat trick and Officer Bullock pointed out it'd be much harder to enforce on hundreds/thousands of hats versus a few octopi.

The interesting part is that the Wings are not the ones asking for it. According to Officer Bullock, they're fine with the tradition, and even like it. And I gather the police aren't big fans of enforcing it either. It's up to the officer's discretion, so it's possible fans may still get away with it at times. But with NHL officials pushing for it, it's less safe to throw than it ever has been. Previously, it may have been a bit of an empty threat. Now it has teeth.

Here`s the link http://prohockeytalk...oss-in-detroit/

The key point there is the fact that Detroit has a city ordinance related specifically to the throwing of objects in the spectator area or onto the playing surface. If it were done away with, or another ordinance put in stating that it didn't apply to octopuses thrown at Wings games, then there would be no fines.

Cut em some slack - its entertainment. They're looking for something to call their own. Sure it's a takeoff on us but honestly every time someone throws a 'pus on the ice someone has to explain it to someone. And ours is more of a symbolic tradition since it takes more than 8 to win these days anyways.

I have no problem with that either. At least its better than waffles.

From Toronto Star :

In what is a new tradition one that may eventually rival the octopi toss in Motown - a few catfish, including one huge one, hit the ice before the game but the gesture would have only been useful if one of them could have strapped on a helmet and helped out on the power play.

It certainly couldn't have hurt.

The Predators extra-man unit smelled as bad as one of those finned creatures left out in the Nashville heat for the day

Edited by cusimano_brothers