Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Those Who Were at the Game --- Have You Ever Heard a Crowd So Loud?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 aaronstan16

aaronstan16

Draftee

• 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:48 AM

It was ridiculously loud tonight. I couldn't hear right most of the third period. I'm very surprised how quiet it seems on TV.

#22 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:02 AM

Sorry I'm deaf after being at the game...can you repeat the question?

Seriously it was LOUD at the Joe. I don't think they mike the Joe the same as other arenas... Hell... Listen to the difference between fans banging on the glass here vs Vancouver and you'll understand what I'm sayin

Yep, and this has been true for the 20-odd years I've been watching them. CBC on the other hand really like to mike up the crowd.

Having said that, you can still tell on TV when the crowd is REALLY energised. 2008 game 5 is the one that sticks in my mind after Rafalski's goal.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#23 PenaltyShot 96

PenaltyShot 96

Youth Movement

• HoF Booster
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:01 AM

It was crazy loud; especially in the third, everyone was just screaming. When all of the sections got the "let's go Red Wings" chant lined up, it was so awesome it gave me chills. Glad to hear that came across on tv.
"That's what happens when Downey walks into a room...things die."

#24 mule

mule

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:50 AM

I Just wanted to tell everyone who attended the game last night to give themselves a pat on the back. The atmosphere at the Joe was incredible. Even when the Wings went down 1-0 after dominating the game the crowd didn't stop backing the team. All I can say now is come thursday... History Will Be Made!!!! Let's Go Wings!

Once again my bad for not noticing this on the forum when I started a new topic.. I think I need to get my eyes checked... Amazing atmosphere last night!

#25 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

I watched on TSN and it didn't seem so loud...Detroit's crowd used to stand up with the Montreals and Vancouvers and it hasn't in a while. But I guess it seemed decent for the "new detroit crowd".

We all watched the TSN (Vs.) feed as well and it was insanely loud, hence the thread start by the OP. You must've been drunk or hard of hearing. :P

Extremely loud but didn't reach the level of the last minutes of Game 5 in the 08 Finals (before they tied it). On par to the 5-0 win in the 09 Finals.

I just so happened to be at both of those games. The '08 Finals in the last 10 minutes (especially immediately following Raf making it 3-2) were by far louder than the 5-0 win the following year. Both loud, but the floor shook when Raf gave Detroit the lead.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#26 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:15 AM

Thats awesome to hear, wtf did they do on tv, turn the crowd sounds way down to favor San Jose more? :(

Each channel mixes it differently. Sometimes you can barely hear the crowd. On FSD you could hear the crowd, but you could tell there was sound dampening going on. But you could tell it was loud just because it was louder than other FSD games.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#27 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

greatest game ive ever seen in my life. crowd was ridiculous.f****** incredible.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#28 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

I have watched a lot of Wings games over the past 2 + years thanks to the internet and streams, I have watched almost all playoff games since I can not remember when, and never has the crowd be so overwhelming at the Joe as this post season.

Has the crowd dynamic changed? Lot of college kids? Less corporates?

What is the difference, this place is nuts and it comes through on TV very very well.

One thing I must say, for all of the crap Emmerick gets for his DRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE, and other crap, he knows when to shut up and let the moment unfurl.

As soon as Helm scored he shut right up, let the crowd take over the moment.

Even the announcers were talking about the level of noise it the barn, these guys have been coming to Detroit for the post season for years now, and they understand this year at the Joe is different, this is not you Dad's Barn anymore.

That building is becoming one loud SOB!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#29 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:51 AM

All I know is that little turd Pierre McGuire had to scream to be heard over the Wings' fans singing Journey at the end. The atmosphere was incredible ... I have a friend who's a Blackhawks fan (Not a very good friend obviously). He went to Game 4 and couldn't believe how loud and engaged the crowd was from the opening faceoff. Game 6 seemed substantially louder.

#30 Blaayze

Blaayze

Summer... wakeboard... can't wait.

• PipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:59 AM

I wish I could have been there. Ugh, might have had a heart attack tho. lol.

For those who went, to the Wings Ducks Game 7: in 09, Was it comparable to that? My ears rang for a day and a half after that game.
Posted Image

#31 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

All I know is that little turd Pierre McGuire had to scream to be heard over the Wings' fans singing Journey at the end. The atmosphere was incredible ... I have a friend who's a Blackhawks fan (Not a very good friend obviously). He went to Game 4 and couldn't believe how loud and engaged the crowd was from the opening faceoff. Game 6 seemed substantially louder.

^ This

I wish I could have been there. Ugh, might have had a heart attack tho. lol. For those who went, to the Wings Ducks Game 7: in 09, Was it comparable to that? My ears rang for a day and a half after that game.

In all honesty, mine are still ringing right now.
Crosby is a crybaby *****

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:43 AM

I've never heard the Joe as loud as it was tonight, and I only saw it on TV. Can those of you who were there weigh in?

Oh, and I envy you for being at this, one of the most inspired wins by the Wings in the past decade.

Posted Image Agreed my friend. If this actually happens on Thursday night, we could be looking back at this win for the rest of our lives (including the hopeful Cup win also). I just had my doubts going into that arena last night and once we started playing I figured it was only a matter of time. It was the emotional roller coaster we all think it would be. Cleary's breakaway at my vantage point was never in and most thought it was at that second, I did see the puck cross the line for the Sharks unfortunately when everyone was kind of up in arms about that. I actually didn't want the night to end as weird as that may sound but on the way home realized there is still a lot of work to do. Win or lose, just amazing though. That was absolutely the very best crowd I have seen at a game in my life; this includes a '02 Cup clinching game when I was 17. My Hank jersey smells of the beer some people were tossing, I counted like 10 pi that hit the ice probably more. The Flip goal probably could have unhinged the roof itself if the banners that held them up so beautifully weren't there. I can't remember ever being so passionate and into a game in my entire 26 years on this earth. They just won't die. No other words...
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#33 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

As ever A2Y says it best

You know last night erased donít you? Címon. Youíve been here a while. You know the one game, of all games, played in that house, that still plagues us to this day. Last night, under those circumstances, with that effort, that absolute domination, in a game that could be looked back at as a statement for the agesÖ.with that game they paid us back for 34.7.

Thatís how electric you were last night if you were at the Joe. Thatís how starving you were to will that team to that performance. The last time I heard you like that the Cup was just down the hall. A hobbit was ready to hand it to Nick. The Joe would have exploded that night, if that game had just ended 34.7 seconds earlier.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#34 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

there was nothing like it! one of the best ever!!!

#35 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

Incredible game, even on TV. At times the announcers could not even conduct their interviews it was so loud. Great job to all you fans where were there and did your part!

I must admit to getting PRETTY pissed after the Cleary breakaway, because Emerick shouted SCOOOOORES, and I started cheering like a maniac, only to glance back at the TV and see they were still playing.

Turned out OK though. In a weird way, Cleary missing that breakaway just strengthened his and the team's resolve. He was a beast all game, exactly what we need out of him.

Amazing game, I could barely sleep last night.
Posted Image

#36 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

I was at the March 21st, Pens-Wings game. Easily the loudest I've ever heard the Joe. Was louder than Game 2 of the Pheonix series for sure. When Modano tied it, the noise broke through to where it didn't even sound like people anymore, its really hard to explain. I was quite literally standing there in awe of it.

Went to Boston and caught a Sox-Yankees game that the Sox won 6-5. The atmosphere was incredible and very loud for an open structure.

#37 OldMan333

OldMan333

Attitudes Are Contagious

• 49 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:17 PM

Crowd was insane last night. Loudest and most sustained I have heard. My voice is shot, ears are still ringing. And it carried into the concourse after the game and into the streets and into the bars 2 hrs later with "Let's go Wings" breaking out whenever someone new walked in with a Wings jersey on. Great stuff! Keep it going, Wings!

#38 drw1319

drw1319

Wings are going all the way babyyy!

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

I was also at game 5 in '08 and that crowd was crazy insane... even though the outcome was not what i hoped for in game 5 that was one of the best sporting event experiences i have ever experienced and will ever experience. I can only imagine last night was the same level. Props to everyone at the Joe last night, you helped the wings win!

#39 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:37 PM

The crowd was loud last night, and even us old folks in the lower bowl were up on our walkers and rocking. As for the loudest, maybe, but there have been several loud moments in The Joe over the years. The Toronto series in 93 comes to mind right away. Games 1 and 2 were loud as blowout wins. But game 7 going into OT, every time the puck went into Toronto's end the crowd was at a full roar. Even for an icing race. The place was rowdy and loud that whole series. Another loud point was the return of #9 at the all-star game in 1980. I don't think it was the loudest in history, but a constant 5-10 minute standing ovation sure was seemed loud after a few minutes of constant SPL's versus the spikes and dips of a real time game. But the loudest to me has to be game 4 versus Philly in 97. Either whem McCarty pulled the how do ya do on Ninamaa in the 2nd, or the last minute of the game, and 5 minutes following. 42 years of frustration came to an end that night. We had something to be louder than Black Sabbath about.

Edit: submitted post before finished.

Edited by BigWillieStyle, 11 May 2011 - 02:48 PM.

#40 Wings_Rule_1010

Wings_Rule_1010

LGRW!!!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:56 PM

Even Cleary thought this was one of the loudest games at the Joe: " And the crowd was amazing. I think that's the loudest I've heard the Joe since I've been here."
Go Blue!!!