Homer wear #15

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 USNAVYABH

USNAVYABH

Jr. Prospect

• 22 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

I was just watching some old you tube videos.

Saw Homer used to wear #15.
Does any one now when and why he changed?

Just wondering.
Tom

#2 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

He switched in March of '98 because Dimitri Mironov wanted 15.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#3 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

I know he wears 96 for the year he came from Sweden (1996). When Scotty Bowman found out about this, he told him he should wear 98, for the year he's going to go back.
  • Nev likes this
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#4 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:56 PM

I believe 1996-97 was his first year with the Red Wings, so almost like his Wings year birthdate maybe... Not sure but that's the best thing I could come up with.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#5 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

I know he wears 96 for the year he came from Sweden (1996). When Scotty Bowman found out about this, he told him he should wear 98, for the year he's going to go back.

My learned Comrade is correct.
I had thought that I had a photo in my album of him in his #15, but I was mistaken. If I find it, I'll post it.

#6 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

The first time I really heard much about him I learned he had the nickname 'Demolition Man' and I was thinking yyyyyyeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh, ok, I think you're going to need to PROVE that to me Mr. Holmstrom.

He's the best net agitator/goalie screener/puck tipper ever. Yes ever. For decades to come announcers will compare a goalmouth battle/tip in score to 'Just like Tomas Holmstrom used to do back in the day'. I reiterate Wings fans should chip in and buy him a $5000 recliner chair as a thank you one day when they have Tomas Holmstrom is retiring night.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#7 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

He switched in March of '98 because Dimitri Mironov wanted 15.

This is correct. Mironov was acquired at the trade deadline. Being the veteran, he got preference of the number over Holmstrom.

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:25 PM

15 is a number that should be retired, since it was worn by both Mironov and Jason Woolley.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#9 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:39 PM

15 is a number that should be retired, since it was worn by both Mironov and Jason Woolley.

How dare you forget Todd Gill.

Twice.

:P
"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#10 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:10 PM

Tomas Holmstrom signed my 1997 Stanley Cup with the Number 15!! I still have that thing today!!! I LOVE IT!! When I met him, he spoke 0 English!! HE didn't say anything to me, just signed whatever I had!! I think he was star struck by all the Wings fans at Wingsfest that day!!

#11 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:50 PM

The first time I really heard much about him I learned he had the nickname 'Demolition Man' and I was thinking yyyyyyeeeeeeaaaaahhhhhhh, ok, I think you're going to need to PROVE that to me Mr. Holmstrom.

He's the best net agitator/goalie screener/puck tipper ever. Yes ever. For decades to come announcers will compare a goalmouth battle/tip in score to 'Just like Tomas Holmstrom used to do back in the day'. I reiterate Wings fans should chip in and buy him a $5000 recliner chair as a thank you one day when they have Tomas Holmstrom is retiring night.

I love the idea of getting him a recliner. He's been through the battles like few ever have, when he retires he deserves to be lazy.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#12 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:53 PM

Tomas Holmstrom signed my 1997 Stanley Cup with the Number 15!! I still have that thing today!!! I LOVE IT!! When I met him, he spoke 0 English!! HE didn't say anything to me, just signed whatever I had!! I think he was star struck by all the Wings fans at Wingsfest that day!!

He still speaks zero english.

It amazes me how fluent and without accent Lidstrom is, and then in contrast Homer sounds like a chainsaw hacking away at what can sometimes be deciphered as English language. It adds to his charm.
  • Nev likes this

#13 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:05 PM

Sergei Fedorov chose 91 for his first year in the NHL as well.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#14 Trapt1307

Trapt1307

Tootoo + Hem = Win

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

He still speaks zero english.

It amazes me how fluent and without accent Lidstrom is, and then in contrast Homer sounds like a chainsaw hacking away at what can sometimes be deciphered as English language. It adds to his charm.

All of the Swedes speak pretty much flawless English except for Holmstrom. Lilja's was really good too. He didn't even really have an accent.

Edited by Trapt1307, 11 May 2011 - 11:50 PM.

"Scotty hated the world and treated everybody the same, from me to Steve Yzerman,'' Legace said. ''Scotty would rip anybody, and had the personality of ant."

#15 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:59 PM

It's called Swenglish and he's the only person in the world that is fluent in it.

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#16 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:06 AM

It's called Swenglish and he's the only person in the world that is fluent in it.

I believe the stat is 90% of Swedes speak English. Last year I was at game 1 of the Elitserien finals and someone said something offhand in Swedish, I said I only spoke English, and he said "Oh! Sorry, I didn't realize."

Also, ARE YOU KIDDING: you remembered Woolley, Mironov and Gill, but forgot Pat Verbeek? 522 career goals
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#17 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:54 AM

He's the best net agitator/goalie screener/puck tipper ever. Yes ever. For decades to come announcers will compare a goalmouth battle/tip in score to 'Just like Tomas Holmstrom used to do back in the day'..

Um, Phil Esposito?
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#18 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:36 AM

Um, Phil Esposito?

Phil was great at it, no doubts. He was also much better player. Still Holmstrom is the best at what he does. Intensity and clutch and grab style of late 90th when everything was allowed make him better.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#19 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

Holmer.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#20 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:23 AM

Where are you now, Johan Garpenlov? A lonely nation turns its eyes to you.

Posted Image

Woo woo woo.