• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dragonballgtz

Pronger to undergo back surgery

Rate this topic

TSN reports:

Flyers defenceman Chris Pronger, who missed the majority of the post-season, will undergo surgery to remove a herniated disc from his spinal cord on Thursday.

So 6 years left on his 35+ contract for $4.9M per year. I'm no doctor but that sounds like a really bad surgery to have at this stage of his career.

Edited by dragonballgtz

That would be my guess as a possible loop hole around it, but the owner would still have to actually pay him his salary.

That is true, but at least it is a market that can afford to pay that salary I guess. Imagine if a team like Phoenix ran into that problem with that cap hit :S

There really should be some sort of rule in place where a player can only be on LTIR for a designated period of time and after that, they have to be eligible to play, or the team eats the roster spot and the cap... it sounds heartless, but there has to be some sort of a check in there to keep from this loophole being exploited, even if the duration of LTIR is something huge (like no more than 164 games LTIR for every 246 games of contract)

That would basically allow a guy to sit out 2 of 3 years and the team not take the cap, but Pronger could esssentially go on LTIR for the remainder of his contract and the Flyers are free and clear of a horrible contract...