• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF Game 7 GDT: Red Wings 2 at Sharks 3

Rate this topic

Just got back and settled from game 7. I was anticipating an amazing game and I was not disappointed. Every single game could have gone either way in this series. The Wings could easily have won all 7. The Sharks could have won all 7 too, though they were completely outplayed by the wings in game 6 (Nemo almost stole it). I mentioned it in the Dats thread, but every time Dats had the puck I had fear hit my right in the gut. He is the best player in the world in my mind and it's not even close. You guys are very lucky to have him on your team and to get to watch him play on a regular basis. He is simply amazing. It's as if he's a college senior playing ice hockey against a bunch of 5th graders...that's seriously what it looks like to me when he's on the ice. Be proud of your team and your organization Wings fans. 20 consecutive playoff appearances, incredible talent and heart, and of course all the Cups. They are the model NHL franchise. I know many of you wouldn't consider the Sharks as a rival, but for us Sharks fans, the Wings are rival 1A (with the ducks being 1B). We've met you in the playoffs 5 times, more than any other team (I'm just going on memory here). It's no secret our team and franchise have taken a lot from your playbook and you guys have been where we hope to go. I know many have a hatred for my team and I understand that and am ok with it. I know the Wings will be back next year, because they always are. Best of luck next season (except against my Sharks of course). I always enjoy visiting these boards as they are always active and have a ton of topics to discuss. Again, all the best.

It was a heck of a series, and I must say that this is the first year in recent memory that I'm not totally upset that the Wings are out. You're right, every game could have gone either way. There was no shame in losing that series. They were two very well matched teams. It was a historic series. Seven games, 2 OTs, 6 games won by 1 goal, and a goal differential of 0.

Edited by Gizmo

It was a heck of a series, and I must say that this is the first year in recent memory that I'm not totally upset that the Wings are out. You're right, every game could have gone either way. There was no shame in losing that series. They were two very well matched teams.

I'm the same way. I'd say that 2007 and 2011 were the years I wasn't crushed at losing. They played hard but couldn't get it done. 4-3 is a better way to go out than 4-0 I suppose. This team has the mental capability to win it all, but they just need an extra push through free agency or trading. Good showing or not, you can't stand pat after three consecutive (well, two really) early playoff exits.

Just got back and settled from game 7. I was anticipating an amazing game and I was not disappointed. Every single game could have gone either way in this series. The Wings could easily have won all 7. The Sharks could have won all 7 too, though they were completely outplayed by the wings in game 6 (Nemo almost stole it). I mentioned it in the Dats thread, but every time Dats had the puck I had fear hit my right in the gut. He is the best player in the world in my mind and it's not even close. You guys are very lucky to have him on your team and to get to watch him play on a regular basis. He is simply amazing. It's as if he's a college senior playing ice hockey against a bunch of 5th graders...that's seriously what it looks like to me when he's on the ice. Be proud of your team and your organization Wings fans. 20 consecutive playoff appearances, incredible talent and heart, and of course all the Cups. They are the model NHL franchise. I know many of you wouldn't consider the Sharks as a rival, but for us Sharks fans, the Wings are rival 1A (with the ducks being 1B). We've met you in the playoffs 5 times, more than any other team (I'm just going on memory here). It's no secret our team and franchise have taken a lot from your playbook and you guys have been where we hope to go. I know many have a hatred for my team and I understand that and am ok with it. I know the Wings will be back next year, because they always are. Best of luck next season (except against my Sharks of course). I always enjoy visiting these boards as they are always active and have a ton of topics to discuss. Again, all the best.

Another excellent series. I do have to agree with you, that series could have went either way. It still doesn't deaden the pain that the Sharks advanced over the Wings for the second year in a row. Still, it isn't like the Sharks didn't have their share of lumps. Maybe this is their year to make some noise instead of getting swept out of the playoffs like last season. Seems that every cup winning team has had to take their share of lumps just to make it to the promised land.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by the forum as always. Classy and intelligent fans are always welcome here in my opinion. Good luck against Vancouver.

I'm the same way. I'd say that 2007 and 2011 were the years I wasn't crushed at losing. They played hard but couldn't get it done. 4-3 is a better way to go out than 4-0 I suppose. This team has the mental capability to win it all, but they just need an extra push through free agency or trading. Good showing or not, you can't stand pat after three consecutive (well, two really) early playoff exits.

The last two seasons have been tough on the Wings from an injury standpoint. The hockey gods really have to smile down on you in order to win the cup. If you have too many injuries or bounces go against you, then it could be a short run in the playoffs. As for early playoff exits, there are 22 other teams this season and last season who would have loved to gotten as far as the wings the last 2 years. As for the 3rd "early playoff exit", game 7 of the SCF is an early exit? :scared:

Everything has to fall into place in order for a team to win the cup. Just wasn't the Wings year.

The Wings fought hard, there's no denying that. We could have easily been swept, so the fact we forced a 7th game should be commended. Now, let's all root for the Incredible Yzerbolts to win it all, so we can see Steve hoist the Cup one more time.

I posted on the boards after games 1-3 and stopped posting under the "superstition rule" of playoff hockey so I am glad to be back.

I am devastated that we lost....We really did claw all the way back and push it to seven which is so rare. With a team that had 10 forwards (2 of which were rotaters throughout the regular season) the Wings showed hard work, class and a ton of heart. No Franzen, No Bert and No Cleary makes the game very lopsided, yet we managed to make it very difficult for the sharks to win it.

We have all the pieces and some vey exciting prospects coming up so with that said, Props to the guys who fought hard, played through pain and NEVER, EVER laid down!

Proud to be a Red Wing Fan!!!!

I used to be a fan, but I'm so over Joe Thornton. Especially after hearing the post game interviews of him. Hearing him say how they don't care what people are saying, they knew they could do it. blah blah blah.

Thornton, Heatley, and Marleau account for almost $22 million of cap space.

Marleau had one point. (Who cares if it's the series winner. Had he showed up earlier there wouldn't have been a game 7)

Heatley had a goal and three assists.

Thornton had zero goals and 6 assists. 4 of which came on the power play.

Those guys were carried by players like Couture, Setoguchi and Clowe. (Guys who really stepped up their game in the postseason (If you're keeping score those guys together eat up less than $7 mill cap space). So it was a little hilarious to here Joe going on about how he believed. I guess the part he wasn't saying was he believed "that my teammates would save my ass."

How about throwing some more love to the guys who carried you Joe?

I used to be a fan, but I'm so over Joe Thornton. Especially after hearing the post game interviews of him. Hearing him say how they don't care what people are saying, they knew they could do it. blah blah blah.

Thornton, Heatley, and Marleau account for almost $22 million of cap space.

Marleau had one point. (Who cares if it's the series winner. Had he showed up earlier there wouldn't have been a game 7)

Heatley had a goal and three assists.

Thornton had zero goals and 6 assists. 4 of which came on the power play.

Those guys were carried by players like Couture, Setoguchi and Clowe. (Guys who really stepped up their game in the postseason (If you're keeping score those guys together eat up less than $7 mill cap space). So it was a little hilarious to here Joe going on about how he believed. I guess the part he wasn't saying was he believed "that my teammates would save my ass."

How about throwing some more love to the guys who carried you Joe?

Joe Thornton played his ass off this entire series. Just ask the RW players and coaching staff.

It's not all about the cute stats you looked-up. It's about contributing.

Heatley played a great series in my book. He played responsible with the puck in his end and did a great job containing the neutral zone.

Marleau stepped-up large last night. Not only with his BAM...game winner, but with a great defensive play way late in the game.

Better team won last night.

Joe Thornton played his ass off this entire series. Just ask the RW players and coaching staff.

It's not all about the cute stats you looked-up. It's about contributing.

Heatley played a great series in my book. He played responsible with the puck in his end and did a great job containing the neutral zone.

Marleau stepped-up large last night. Not only with his BAM...game winner, but with a great defensive play way late in the game.

Better team won last night.

I never said the better team didn't win.

"Cute stats?" Scoring points isn't contributing?

So a slam dunk goal and a few good defensive plays late in game 7 is worth $6.9 mill?

And I see you're starting the revisionist history about Thornton already. He got better as the series went along. Either way when you're the star player and make $7.2 million, contributing usually also involves putting up points. And you have awfully low expectations for Heatley too. There are a lot of guys who are responsible with the puck in their end and can help contain the neutral zone, and they sure don't get paid $7.5 million.

I never said the Sharks as a team were bad. It's just that they have guys like Couture, Setoguchi, Clowe and Boyle to thank for winning that series. Because their three star players were busy contributing with "intangibles" instead of on the scoresheet, which last time I checked is how you win games.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I never said the better team didn't win.

"Cute stats?" Scoring points isn't contributing?

So a slam dunk goal and a few good defensive plays late in game 7 is worth $6.9 mill?

And I see you're starting the revisionist history about Thornton already. He got better as the series went along. Either way when you're the star player and make $7.2 million, contributing usually also involves putting up points. And you have awfully low expectations for Heatley too. There are a lot of guys who are responsible with the puck in their end and can help contain the neutral zone, and they sure don't get paid $7.5 million.

I never said the Sharks as a team were bad. It's just that they have guys like Couture, Setoguchi, Clowe and Boyle to thank for winning that series. Because their three star players were busy contributing with "intangibles" instead of on the scoresheet, which last time I checked is how you win games.

I agree that our big three are all overpaid.

But, to call out Jumbo Joe in this series? C'mon! Go back and watch the OT game 3 winner. Who made that play? Jumbo. Go back and watch his steals in each game from his back-checking. Take a look at the number of turnovers (hardly any) all series.

Easy to call out our big three but it's sour grapes.

Take Datsyuk off the Wings. What do you have?

Take Heatley or Marleau off or team and we'll still beat you.

But, to call out Jumbo Joe in this series? C'mon! Go back and watch the OT game 3 winner. Who made that play? Jumbo. Go back and watch his steals in each game from his back-checking. Take a look at the number of turnovers (hardly any) all series.

How is it sour grapes? Because I'm not saying everyone on your team is awesome? I haven't said anything about how the wings would've won the series or anything of that sort. I don't know why you keep implying that I'm saying the Wings should've won or that it's sour grapes

Of course you could take Heatley and Marleau off the team and the Sharks would still probably win, because those guys weren't a big reason why San Jose won!

My point, for the third friggin time, is that the Sharks three star players underperformed, while Clowe and the like were absolute studs. And yes, that includes Jumbo Joe underperforming. Have you guys really lowered your standards that much for him because of his past playoff performances? Of the three, he was the best. But still, in a hard fought fought series against a good team, I would want more points out of him. He's one of if not the franchise player. And the best things you can say about him is he backchecks and he didn't turn the puck over much?

As I said in another thread, if at the start of the series someone had told me Thornton, Marleau and Heatley would be kept off the scoresheet in the way that they were, I'd like the Wings chances. But the secondary scoring came through for San Jose in a huge way. Those guys and Niemi were by far the biggest reasons the Sharks won.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Thornton did play well....for a grinder. Not a superstar.

The Sharks will need to shake up the Heatley-Thornton-Marleau failure if they want to win the Cup ever. I've never seen such high profile guys disappear so consistently when it matters. Point or not, that monkey is still on Marleau's back. The guy has NEVER performed in the playoffs, what makes people think he'll start now?

Zetterberg, Cleary, Lidstrom, Kronwall, Filppula, and Helm. Ya know, just the same guys we had most of the season and held that 2nd spot for the majority of the year which we, ironic enough we lost to your team and wound up being the dagger for the series. Regardless, saying all we have is Datsyuk is fairly silly and very Sharks fan like of you ;)

I will give credit where it's due to Couture, Setoguchi (for once) and Pavelski. I'd take Clowe all day on our team if I could even if he acts like a douchenozzle when Kronwall throws a bomb check on him. Those guys were basically what won this series for your team. And Niemi also had a great couple of games and still almost lost while we had 10 forwards. Might be sour grapes and just grasping to some, but facts are facts, slick.

Edited by HankthaTank

Thornton did play well....for a grinder. Not a superstar.

The Sharks will need to shake up the Heatley-Thornton-Marleau failure if they want to win the Cup ever. I've never seen such high profile guys disappear so consistently when it matters. Point or not, that monkey is still on Marleau's back. The guy has NEVER performed in the playoffs, what makes people think he'll start now?

Exactly.

The Sharks have over a third of their payroll tied up in three guys. And in a 7 game series they produce 2 goals and 9 assists. And I'm crazy because I think that's grossly underperforming?

Zetterberg, Cleary, Lidstrom, Kronwall, Filppula, and Helm. Ya know, just the same guys we had most of the season and held that 2nd spot for the majority of the year which we, ironic enough we lost to your team and wound up being the dagger for the series. Regardless, saying all we have is Datsyuk is fairly silly and very Sharks fan like of you ;)

I will give credit where it's due to Couture, Setoguchi (for once) and Pavelski. I'd take Clowe all day on our team if I could even if he acts like a douchenozzle when Kronwall throws a bomb check on him. Those guys were basically what won this series for your team. And Niemi also had a great couple of games and still almost lost while we had 10 forwards. Might be sour grapes and just grasping to some, but facts are facts, slick.

It's Slick Rick to you Hanka.

Your team has more than Datsyuk. I am stating that if you take him out, your Wings never make this a series. Ever! That's a compliment Hanka!

Bertuzzi got away from his game and paid the price. (night-night!)

Guys like Seto, Couture, Clowe, Pavelski, Mitchell are all playing very well right now. I'd even state that our defense is playing better than advertised. Heck, even Wallin is playing well!

And to all you haters who say Vancouver is going to roll the Sharks...I say, go back to the store and get some fresh grapes!

throw your book in trash can.

O.K. but as long as you throw your sour grapes in that same can too!

sour+grapes.jpg

And to all you haters who say Vancouver is going to roll the Sharks...I say, go back to the store and get some fresh grapes!

I didn't think the sharks would get rolled by Chicago last year and look what happened. I would never say they are going to get rolled by Vancouver, but I don't think it will go 7 games either. Point is this, until your team can make it to the SCF, I really think you should step back and re-evaluate. The Sharks have a history of dying in the post season. I certainly hope they can get over the hump soon, because time is running out on your core of players.

This Sharks/Wings series was epic, even from a fan on the losing side. This is why I love the playoffs, even after my team gets beat, I gotta keep watching. Sharks deserve all the credit for winning this series. I will be very interested to see if the Sharks can get the monkey off their back and make it to the finals. Time is not on their side if they don't make it.

I didn't think the sharks would get rolled by Chicago last year and look what happened. I would never say they are going to get rolled by Vancouver, but I don't think it will go 7 games either. Point is this, until your team can make it to the SCF, I really think you should step back and re-evaluate. The Sharks have a history of dying in the post season. I certainly hope they can get over the hump soon, because time is running out on your core of players.

This Sharks/Wings series was epic, even from a fan on the losing side. This is why I love the playoffs, even after my team gets beat, I gotta keep watching. Sharks deserve all the credit for winning this series. I will be very interested to see if the Sharks can get the monkey off their back and make it to the finals. Time is not on their side if they don't make it.

This next round is all about being fresh (physically/mentally). There are a few players on SJ that have won a cup.

If the same Vancouver team that beat Nashville shows, I think this series leans to SJ. If our core players turtle-up, it could be a quick VAN series.

I loved Lidstrom's comment prior to game #7 where he stated that he has never been involved in a series where the two teams are so evenly matched.

Total respect for the Wings.

I agree, this was an epic series.

Does anyone know where you can view stats that are for a series only? I'd like to see all the stats just for the det/SJ series, without info from the previous series included... anyone?

call the goaltender interference on the Gooch and you don't get the third goal. or did you miss that one? Bottom line bud, game 1 OT, lucky bounce, Wings could've won it, game two I will give you, even though Wings played better, game three hmmmmm, lucky bounce in OT (again) Wings could've won it, game 4,5,6 your team couldn't handle a full 60 mins, game 7 goaltender interference not even bringing up the fact that the Wings were without Franzen, then lost Bertuzzi AND Cleary without the ability to replace them! So your team squeaked out a game 7 win with us only having 10 forwards. You see, you claim that without Heatly or Marleau you guys would still beat us, but fact is, even with those two, YOU BARELY BEAT US. No lucky bounces in OT, Wings could've won 4 games to 1. Be glad you got the lucky bounces, it's part of hockey, but they won't always come. Be man enough to admit, that you were inches, fractions of inches to NOT winning this series. Congrats that they did, but it's not like you rolled over the Wings. Simmer Down...

Edited by LeftWinger

call the goaltender interference on the Gooch and you don't get the third goal. or did you miss that one? Bottom line bud, game 1 OT, lucky bounce, Wings could've won it, game two I will give you, even though Wings played better, game three hmmmmm, lucky bounce in OT (again) Wings could've won it, game 4,5,6 your team couldn't handle a full 60 mins, game 7 goaltender interference not even bringing up the fact that the Wings were without Franzen, then lost Bertuzzi AND Cleary without the ability to replace them! So your team squeaked out a game 7 win with us only having 10 forwards. You see, you claim that without Heatly or Marleau you guys would still beat us, but fact is, even with those two, YOU BARELY BEAT US. No lucky bounces in OT, Wings could've won 4 games to 1. Be glad you got the lucky bounces, it's part of hockey, but they won't always come. Be man enough to admit, that you were inches, fractions of inches to NOT winning this series. Congrats that they did, but it's not like you rolled over the Wings. Simmer Down...

I have not stated that SJ rolled over your Wings. You are absolutely correct that either team was inches, fractions of inches, away from defeat in multiple games. It was a hell of a series.

It's ok to Clowe bash but when Bertuzzi goes head-hunting, it's not?

It's ok to call the Sharks divers, when your last night Howard drops like a powder-puff?

It's ok to call the Sharks cheaters when Stuart changes his stick in game one after an icing call to delay the faceoff?

The Sharks haven proven to be the better team over the past two years. I give credit to SJ adapting to Detroit's style of play.

Again, the statement I'll remember most is Lidstrom's pre-game #7 statement that he has never played in a series where the two teams are so even. Cryin' about the diving, refs, crappy ice in SJ, overpaid top non-producers, etc. is not going to level this series.

Edited by azshark

LOL. Heatley should stop by his church of choice every effing day of the week and thank a higher power that he even plays in the NHL. If a certain judge owned a pair of testicles, he would be rotting in a Georgia jail cell following the vehicular manslaughter of his good friend.

Edited by Grateful Gadsby

I have not stated that SJ rolled over your Wings. You are absolutely correct that either team was inches, fractions of inches, away from defeat in multiple games. It was a hell of a series.

It's ok to Clowe bash but when Bertuzzi goes head-hunting, it's not?

Huh? Only "head hunting" I saw was his hitting Pavelski who was horribly paralyzed for about 10 seconds before making a miraculous recovery and appearing on the next shift.

It's ok to call the Sharks divers, when your last night Howard drops like a powder-puff?

Lol what? Howard didn't flop. Maybe you're referring to when Boyle's stick got caught in his mask and wasn't called goaltender interference.

It's ok to call the Sharks cheaters when Stuart changes his stick in game one after an icing call to delay the faceoff?

Every team does that.

Hit me today that our season was over. :(

I was hoping we could play on so that Lidstrom could challenge the all time playoff games record.

Also, Datsyuk was playing so well that it's a shame to see his season end. I'd love to have seen how much further he could have taken his game.