• Please log in to reply
1308 replies to this topic

#1261 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:21 AM

If you look at the whole series, you've got to be pleased with how our team showed fight and heart after going down 0-3.

But if you look at this game, there are some serious questions. Yes, we lost Bertuzzi and Cleary but still:
1. Why did Babcock put Draper in and not keep Modano in the line up? Or Hudler instead of Modano?
2. What the hell was wrong with our pp - 0 for 4 ??!!
3. We out shot SJ 40-30 but still ended up on the wrong end of the score sheet.
4. Last shift of play, why wasn't Dats on the ice?

I honestly have no issues with Draper playing. I do not understand why Hudler was put back in the lineup for Game 6, then kept there for Game 7 after not doing anything in Game 6. He was the worst player out there tonight, constantly making the wrong play on offense.

The PP was awful -- some credit to San Jose for that, but for whatever reason, the PP was the one situation all game that Detroit wasn't just firing away. They were trying to get a perfect shot instead of just mucking it up in front of Rebounds McGee in net.

As for 4, I have no idea. Dats and Z had been out there for a minute, but ... it's the last 20 seconds of the godda*n season.

#1262 hankzet40

hankzet40

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:21 AM

Kronner, and a lot of people outside of this team's fanbase think that. What this team needs is an appropriate top pair partner for him.

I think that could be Weber and I moreso believe that depending on how the retirements go, Kenny needs to make a splash in free agency. God willing, Nick will come back and this will be a non-issue but I would personally love to have Weber to fill the void if need be.

#1263 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:22 AM

Hudler was good. He generated chances, and worked hard. Zetterberg, despite his mistake, was the best forward on the ice. Dats was #2.

GOD DAMN you aref****** stupid, Hudler blew balls and knocked Cleary out of the game while he was it. If we can't dump his ass in the offseason sit him in the AHL the whole god damn season. fffffffffffffff I'm proud of what our boys did, but maaaaaaaaaaan I wanted to win tonight so so bad. works gonna suck ass tomorrow :thumbdown:

#1264 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

Datsyuk> Zetterberg
Howard was pretty sick the majority of the playoffs
Kronwall's a gem
Filipula's good enough to stay
Helm needs to stay here for life
Franzen.....well he's here to stay with that contract extension let's hope he bounces back next season or else...
Big Bert's a sick beauty but didn't really step it up
Rafalski's still good enough
Stuart was typical Brad Stuart....solid enough
Patty Eaves was great in the regular season, barely noticable in the playoffs.. I won't lost any sleep over him leaving
Drew Miller was all heart and I loved his ethic and hustle....i'd keep him over Abdelkader any day

BIG PEACE to Abdelkader, Hudler, Salei (though I really had no problems with the guy he played pretty solid I felt most of the season)

and I don't really give 2 s***s about keeping Jonathan Ericson on this team.....if he signs for under 1 mil than whatever he's worth that at least

most of all......DONT LEAVE US CAPTAIN LIDS YOU ARE STILL THEf****** BEST!!!!!

and really.....Justin freakin' Abdelkader on the ice with 30 seconds left in our season....holy f***

#1265 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:32 AM

Very proud of our boys. Go Wings.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls

#1266 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:40 AM

Too little too late... Not the end of the world but frustrating as all get out.
At least I can catch up on sleep now that the Wings are out.

GOD DAMN you aref****** stupid, Hudler blew balls and knocked Cleary out of the game while he was it. If we can't dump his ass in the offseason sit him in the AHL the whole god damn season. fffffffffffffff I'm proud of what our boys did, but maaaaaaaaaaan I wanted to win tonight so so bad. works gonna suck ass tomorrow :thumbdown:

Let Hudler play a contract year - let's see what he is really capable of.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#1267 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:00 AM

look at some of the players coming up in the Wings system and smile

CLASSIC SERIES

PROUD TO BE A WINGS FAN

GO WINGS!

#1268 winger30

winger30

Rookie

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:02 AM

well see you all in october :( too bad i got here at the end of out play-off run i just hope Vancouver can f*** the sharks up I DO NOT want to see them go any further Hoebag Thornton doesn't deserve to hoist Lord Stanley's cup.
Balanced is probably what I am, although that's just a polite way to say that you don't do anything very well.
Steve Yzerman

VK/SM believe!

#1269 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:13 AM

Datsyuk> Zetterberg
Howard was pretty sick the majority of the playoffs
Kronwall's a gem
Filipula's good enough to stay
Helm needs to stay here for life
Franzen.....well he's here to stay with that contract extension let's hope he bounces back next season or else...
Big Bert's a sick beauty but didn't really step it up
Rafalski's still good enough
Stuart was typical Brad Stuart....solid enough
Patty Eaves was great in the regular season, barely noticable in the playoffs.. I won't lost any sleep over him leaving
Drew Miller was all heart and I loved his ethic and hustle....i'd keep him over Abdelkader any day

BIG PEACE to Abdelkader, Hudler, Salei (though I really had no problems with the guy he played pretty solid I felt most of the season)

and I don't really give 2 s***s about keeping Jonathan Ericson on this team.....if he signs for under 1 mil than whatever he's worth that at least

most of all......DONT LEAVE US CAPTAIN LIDS YOU ARE STILL THEf****** BEST!!!!!

and really.....Justin freakin' Abdelkader on the ice with 30 seconds left in our season....holy f***

Are you kidding me? Eaves was very good in the playoffs and was one of our most consistent players against SJ. He worked his backside off every shift.

Honestly, you should flip your assessments of Eaves and Miller THEN you'd make sense.

look at some of the players coming up in the Wings system and smile

CLASSIC SERIES

PROUD TO BE A WINGS FAN

GO WINGS!

Mursak, Tatar, Jarnkrok, Nyquist, Pulkkinen, Smith.

Exciting times ahead!! :thumbup:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#1270 uncle ovipositor

uncle ovipositor

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:14 AM

Other things I took from this series :

Jimmy Howard can play big league goal

I've had my doubts about Howard being able to pull it off in a big game, but he did it in 7 of them. Nothing but respect for him as a goalie - he's absolutely earned it. What ever changes are coming to the Wings over the off season, Howard is a solid bridge to the future.

if this was nick's final season, i'll say this, take care my man! you are the greatest defenseman the game has ever seen since bobby orr. the greatest defenseman in the modern expansion era of hockey, period.

I'm glad you qualified that the way you did because that makes it inarguable. Expansion era no doubt. Going back to Orr - yeah, I'm going to agree with that, too.

#1271 Red Wings fan from Germany

Red Wings fan from Germany

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:25 AM

Morning from Germany... even I'm very sad that the Wings didn't make it I'm much more proud of the team and how they fought back against the Sharks. My Red Wings flag will wave for another year in our garden, my 5 year old son (second name is Nicklas :-) will proudly wear his #5 jersey and I will explain to more people that this is the flag of the most successful NHL team over the last years. New try next year, hopefully with our captain who should end his carreer with a final ring

Go Wings

Edited by Red Wings fan from Germany, 13 May 2011 - 02:51 AM.

#1272 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:08 AM

Proud of the team in their comeback effort. Now it's time to shave my beard.

#1273 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

LOL

he had a big hit that knocked a player out of the game!

:hehe:

Edited by ricky0034, 13 May 2011 - 04:22 AM.

#1274 TheSupafly

TheSupafly

Shark fan extrodinaire

• PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 05:53 AM

Just got back and settled from game 7. I was anticipating an amazing game and I was not disappointed. Every single game could have gone either way in this series. The Wings could easily have won all 7. The Sharks could have won all 7 too, though they were completely outplayed by the wings in game 6 (Nemo almost stole it). I mentioned it in the Dats thread, but every time Dats had the puck I had fear hit my right in the gut. He is the best player in the world in my mind and it's not even close. You guys are very lucky to have him on your team and to get to watch him play on a regular basis. He is simply amazing. It's as if he's a college senior playing ice hockey against a bunch of 5th graders...that's seriously what it looks like to me when he's on the ice. Be proud of your team and your organization Wings fans. 20 consecutive playoff appearances, incredible talent and heart, and of course all the Cups. They are the model NHL franchise. I know many of you wouldn't consider the Sharks as a rival, but for us Sharks fans, the Wings are rival 1A (with the ducks being 1B). We've met you in the playoffs 5 times, more than any other team (I'm just going on memory here). It's no secret our team and franchise have taken a lot from your playbook and you guys have been where we hope to go. I know many have a hatred for my team and I understand that and am ok with it. I know the Wings will be back next year, because they always are. Best of luck next season (except against my Sharks of course). I always enjoy visiting these boards as they are always active and have a ton of topics to discuss. Again, all the best.

#1275 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

If you look at the whole series, you've got to be pleased with how our team showed fight and heart after going down 0-3.

But if you look at this game, there are some serious questions. Yes, we lost Bertuzzi and Cleary but still:
1. Why did Babcock put Draper in and not keep Modano in the line up? Or Hudler instead of Modano?
2. What the hell was wrong with our pp - 0 for 4 ??!!
3. We out shot SJ 40-30 but still ended up on the wrong end of the score sheet.
4. Last shift of play, why wasn't Dats on the ice?

1.) Draper has heart, is fast and wins faceoffs. Again, Modano had serious doubts about his fire to play. Also, he was invisible in the last game.

2) The PP was terrible and has struggled all series long, this is what cost the team more than anything.

3) That's pretty predictable. The whole series had that vibe of not turning out the way it should have according to stats.

4) Datsyuk and Zetterberg were out there up until 28 seconds left in the game after a grueling shift. Without Cleary and Bertuzzi, who else could Babcock put out there?

I think that could be Weber and I moreso believe that depending on how the retirements go, Kenny needs to make a splash in free agency. God willing, Nick will come back and this will be a non-issue but I would personally love to have Weber to fill the void if need be.

Despite the heart this team showed, the team IS lacking something and so Holland can't stand pat again. We need a big name defenseman who can actually score on a powerplay, preferably a big body who can skate should we ever face the Sharks again. And we are in desperate need of a second-line impact scorer. As good as the forwards are, we need a reliable scorer considering Franzen, Datsyuk and Zetterberg will all be injured for lengthy periods of time next season. Consider it insurance.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1276 Gizmo

Gizmo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:22 AM

Just got back and settled from game 7. I was anticipating an amazing game and I was not disappointed. Every single game could have gone either way in this series. The Wings could easily have won all 7. The Sharks could have won all 7 too, though they were completely outplayed by the wings in game 6 (Nemo almost stole it). I mentioned it in the Dats thread, but every time Dats had the puck I had fear hit my right in the gut. He is the best player in the world in my mind and it's not even close. You guys are very lucky to have him on your team and to get to watch him play on a regular basis. He is simply amazing. It's as if he's a college senior playing ice hockey against a bunch of 5th graders...that's seriously what it looks like to me when he's on the ice. Be proud of your team and your organization Wings fans. 20 consecutive playoff appearances, incredible talent and heart, and of course all the Cups. They are the model NHL franchise. I know many of you wouldn't consider the Sharks as a rival, but for us Sharks fans, the Wings are rival 1A (with the ducks being 1B). We've met you in the playoffs 5 times, more than any other team (I'm just going on memory here). It's no secret our team and franchise have taken a lot from your playbook and you guys have been where we hope to go. I know many have a hatred for my team and I understand that and am ok with it. I know the Wings will be back next year, because they always are. Best of luck next season (except against my Sharks of course). I always enjoy visiting these boards as they are always active and have a ton of topics to discuss. Again, all the best.

It was a heck of a series, and I must say that this is the first year in recent memory that I'm not totally upset that the Wings are out. You're right, every game could have gone either way. There was no shame in losing that series. They were two very well matched teams. It was a historic series. Seven games, 2 OTs, 6 games won by 1 goal, and a goal differential of 0.

Edited by Gizmo, 13 May 2011 - 08:33 AM.

"Cry 'Havoc' and let slip Tomas Holmstrom!!!"

"In-a da crease... outta da crease... in-a da crease... outta da crease!!!"

#1277 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

It was a heck of a series, and I must say that this is the first year in recent memory that I'm not totally upset that the Wings are out. You're right, every game could have gone either way. There was no shame in losing that series. They were two very well matched teams.

I'm the same way. I'd say that 2007 and 2011 were the years I wasn't crushed at losing. They played hard but couldn't get it done. 4-3 is a better way to go out than 4-0 I suppose. This team has the mental capability to win it all, but they just need an extra push through free agency or trading. Good showing or not, you can't stand pat after three consecutive (well, two really) early playoff exits.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#1278 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

Another excellent series. I do have to agree with you, that series could have went either way. It still doesn't deaden the pain that the Sharks advanced over the Wings for the second year in a row. Still, it isn't like the Sharks didn't have their share of lumps. Maybe this is their year to make some noise instead of getting swept out of the playoffs like last season. Seems that every cup winning team has had to take their share of lumps just to make it to the promised land.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by the forum as always. Classy and intelligent fans are always welcome here in my opinion. Good luck against Vancouver.

I'm the same way. I'd say that 2007 and 2011 were the years I wasn't crushed at losing. They played hard but couldn't get it done. 4-3 is a better way to go out than 4-0 I suppose. This team has the mental capability to win it all, but they just need an extra push through free agency or trading. Good showing or not, you can't stand pat after three consecutive (well, two really) early playoff exits.

The last two seasons have been tough on the Wings from an injury standpoint. The hockey gods really have to smile down on you in order to win the cup. If you have too many injuries or bounces go against you, then it could be a short run in the playoffs. As for early playoff exits, there are 22 other teams this season and last season who would have loved to gotten as far as the wings the last 2 years. As for the 3rd "early playoff exit", game 7 of the SCF is an early exit? :scared:

Everything has to fall into place in order for a team to win the cup. Just wasn't the Wings year.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#1279 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:06 AM

The Wings fought hard, there's no denying that. We could have easily been swept, so the fact we forced a 7th game should be commended. Now, let's all root for the Incredible Yzerbolts to win it all, so we can see Steve hoist the Cup one more time.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#1280 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

I posted on the boards after games 1-3 and stopped posting under the "superstition rule" of playoff hockey so I am glad to be back.

I am devastated that we lost....We really did claw all the way back and push it to seven which is so rare. With a team that had 10 forwards (2 of which were rotaters throughout the regular season) the Wings showed hard work, class and a ton of heart. No Franzen, No Bert and No Cleary makes the game very lopsided, yet we managed to make it very difficult for the sharks to win it.

We have all the pieces and some vey exciting prospects coming up so with that said, Props to the guys who fought hard, played through pain and NEVER, EVER laid down!

Proud to be a Red Wing Fan!!!!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!