Bow legged?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 clearlybetter11

clearlybetter11

Prospect

• 45 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:44 AM

I was looking at pictures recently and noticed that Datsyuk seems to be a little bow legged, I always noticed it but I never thought anything of it. Obviously Datsyuk is a great player and skater, do you think there is any advantage or disadvantage to this as a skater or even just as an athlete in general?

Here is the picture where I noticed it.

http://blog.mlive.co...8/01/anfang.jpg

Edited by clearlybetter11, 12 May 2011 - 01:45 AM.

#2 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:51 AM

Its hilarious isn't it? Really puny and thin, compare them to Lidstrom's stocky legs. I saw some comments on HFboards suggesting his bow legs may be related to his skating style (I'm no skating coach, but he obviously skates differently to anyone else that I can think of)

You look at Datsyuk and you would never guess he was one of the most talented athletes on Earth.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#3 winger30

winger30

Rookie

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

hmmm guess I never realized it but hey it works for him i guess so
Balanced is probably what I am, although that's just a polite way to say that you don't do anything very well.
Steve Yzerman

VK/SM believe!

#4 Feldmarschall

Feldmarschall

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:43 AM

When they were originally scouting Datsyuk and evaluating him as a potential NHLer, the bow-legged comments popped up pretty regularly. I know at one point someone (Jim Nill?) referred to him as a "little pigeon-toed kid that the puck followed around."

#5 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:11 AM

i skate a bit bow legged, that is how lebda skates, and funny thing is that is lebda's only asset
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#6 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:27 AM

there was a legendary soccer player Garrincha who also was bow legged. I've never seen him playing in person but people say that due to this he always used only one deke. All players knew it and studied it to death and still bit on that. Pretty similar to Dats I would say... It is not like you can't teach a player to play against Datsyk. He is just different compared to ALL other players in the world and this makes him that special.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#7 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:32 AM

You never knew that? He's doubly cursed, by being both bowlegged and pigeon-toed.

But put him on a pair of skates and he's as graceful as can be. Life is full of contradictions, isn't it?
Posted Image

#8 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:21 AM

everyone looks a little bow legged next to the perfect human being

#9 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:24 AM

I guess I wish I was bow legged and pigeon-toed then, eh?
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#10 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:48 AM

When they were originally scouting Datsyuk and evaluating him as a potential NHLer, the bow-legged comments popped up pretty regularly. I know at one point someone (Jim Nill?) referred to him as a "little pigeon-toed kid that the puck followed around."

wasn't that Zetterbeg? "This skinny little kid that no-one could get the puck off"
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#11 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Isn't one of his legs also noticeably shorter than the other?
Posted Image

#12 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

everyone looks a little bow legged next to the perfect human being

Um, I'm not in that picture. :scared:

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#13 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

This is a good place to drop this on Dats

Dats love

And then there's Pavel Datsyuk, flitting about like wisps of smoke, appearing here and there to suffocate offensive players before gusting back with the wind in the opposite direction.

This guy thinks his skill is due more to an ice cream head and not bow legs.

It's only logical, then, to assume he's not from this planet. It has to be true, what with that ice cream cone shaped head and ability to use a stick made of black matter, I assume. I assume it's made of black matter, because apparently nobody's able to lift it when he has the puck, yet he's able to dictate where every other player's stick goes when he wants what they have.

Really great read and nice that Dats is getting his due.
  • Nev likes this
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#14 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

This is a good place to drop this on Dats

Dats love

This guy thinks his skill is due more to an ice cream head and not bow legs.

Really great read and nice that Dats is getting his due.

Thanks for posting that article.

My favorite part:

His game has no excess, just artistry. Somehow he's flashy but not showy, confident but not cocky, and along the way he helps folks remember what being a "fan" is supposed to be like.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#15 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for posting that article.

My favorite part:

His game has no excess, just artistry. Somehow he's flashy but not showy, confident but not cocky, and along the way he helps folks remember what being a "fan" is supposed to be like.

Great article, best way I can describe Datsyuk is that he is the NHL's version of Tom Brady.

#16 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:00 PM

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#17 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:16 PM

A lot of your stronger skaters are a little bow-legged.