• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
grwingfan

Thrashers possibly done in Atlanta!

Rate this topic

Greg Brady

bradyfan590 Greg Brady

Spoke to an Atlanta Thrashers player via text message. He's been told to expect a major announcement regarding franchise relocation...

44 minutes ago

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-thrashers/2011/5/12/2167419/thrashers-moving-winnipeg-atlanta-nhl

Not everything said by radio hosts comes to fruition, as you may have gathered, but here's one more for what it's worth: Greg Brady of Toronto's The Fan 590 says he received a text from an unnamed Atlanta Thrashers player in which said player claims he was told to expect a major franchise relocation announcement soon. (But told by whom? By ownership itself or just by his agent?)

According to Brady, the player was told "two weeks ago" to expect a move to be announced before the Stanley Cup Finals end. If true, that would mean the Atlanta Spirit Group's efforts to find a local buyer gave out nearly a month ago.

The deal isn't official of course -- the NHL would still need to approve, as Brady acknowledges. But add this to the growing pile of sentiment (gross!) that the Thrashers may be leaving Atlanta, and if they do, it will be announced very soon.

Things are looking worse by the hour for Atlanta hockey fans.

There is a promise to the Illitch Family that the wings will move back into the East if the Thrashers go to Winnepeg.

I really hope that's the situation. How retarded is it that the Wings/Jackets are in the West? BOTH teams should be in the East, then no team in the EASTERN time zone will have to worry about always traveling across country basically.

As for the Thrashers, that sucks they're most likely losing (another) hockey franchise. Is it financial? Poor fan base? or probably a mixture of both due to the team sucking for so long?

There is a promise to the Illitch Family that the wings will move back into the East if the Thrashers go to Winnepeg.

I dont think the rest of the league would like the Wings going to the eastern conference.

I really hope that's the situation. How retarded is it that the Wings/Jackets are in the West? BOTH teams should be in the East, then no team in the EASTERN time zone will have to worry about always traveling across country basically.

As for the Thrashers, that sucks they're most likely losing (another) hockey franchise. Is it financial? Poor fan base? or probably a mixture of both due to the team sucking for so long?

Well I don't think the East needs another mediocre team since it already has enough. Would be good to see Detroit in the East though so they make it tougher on some of the other teams.

Thats too bad if the rest of the league doesn't like it. I was watching TSN last night and according to Darren Dreger Wings would move to the East, then Dallas would move into the central division, and Winnepeg would make up the Pasific division.

As I don't care for our travel, I really hope the Wings stay out of the East. Just my 2 Lincolns.

What do you mean travel?

West - SJ, LA, ANA, PHX, DAL, VAN, EDM, CGY and COL

East - Florida and Tampa(if ATL moves)

So seems to me travel would be a lot better in the east for the Wings and they get rid of the horrible 10:30 start times from the west.

Edited by MGreenberg

I'd like to see the Wings in the East. I'd get to see them at least twice a year guaranteed in person and I won't have to miss half playoff games that start at 10:30pm. Plus, no more of this traveling across country crap. If they moved to the East, they would probably be in a division with Toronto, Montreal and Boston. Get some of these old rivalries going again.

I probably typed that wrong or something. I meant I don't like the travel being in the West but just don't want the Wings in the horses*** Eastern Conference. thumbup.gif

Oh, ok. Yeah the way you typed it made it seem like you would have preferred the travel in the west over the eastern conference.

I probably typed that wrong or something. I meant I don't like the travel being in the West but just don't want the Wings in the horses*** Eastern Conference. thumbup.gif

Why not? It will be nice to not have to go through a gauntlet to just GET to the Finals.

Thats too bad if the rest of the league doesn't like it. I was watching TSN last night and according to Darren Dreger Wings would move to the East, then Dallas would move into the central division, and Winnepeg would make up the Pasific division.

Well, that makes a ton of sense. Sounds just like the NHL. I mean, Dallas is screwed either way - they have to fly halfway across the country no matter what division they're in. But why make Winnipeg fly halfway across the continent east to west AND completely across the U.S. north to south? Why can't Minnesota go to the Central Division and have Winnipeg take their place in the Northwest? Argh, whatever.

Glad to see Peg getting a team back. I feel bad for everybody who did actually watch Thrashers hockey, but come on, give those poor people up there something to DO in winter, for the love of God! Also, if the Wings move east, I hope I will, too. I don't want to be stuck here where they may or may not play the Ducks once a year.<br>

Edited by MulesWillFly93

Technically, the Wings have never been in the "eastern conference". When it was the Campbell Conf, the 2 divisions were the Norris and the Smythe and the Smythe consisted of the Oilers, Kings, Jets, Canucks, Flames and Sharks (when they entered the league).

They were in the east division when there was only 2 divisions in the league!

I really do not believe that the Thrashers will move this off-season.The way Bettman has been going about the process you can tell that the guy doesn't want to admit that one of his "genius" Southern movements is not working out. The NHL will most likely take control for awhile while they look for more suitors for the team.

In the long run, I do believe that Atlanta will be the first city with 2 failed NHL franchises.

If the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, wouldn't Nashville be the likeliest choice to replace them in the Southeast Division?

I'm guessing Minnesota would then take Nashville's place in the Central, while Winnipeg would take Minnesota's place in the Northwest Division. Hence, no Wings move.

Also, I doubt the league would move the only team in the Western Conference that can give them good ratings.

If the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, wouldn't Nashville be the likeliest choice to replace them in the Southeast Division?

I'm guessing Minnesota would then take Nashville's place in the Central, while Winnipeg would take Minnesota's place in the Northwest Division. Hence, no Wings move.

Also, I doubt the league would move the only team in the Western Conference that can give them good ratings.

I had always thought that was what would happen if the Thrashers were sold. It would mean that the Eastern Conf had 1 team in the Central Time Zone, but it definitely makes the most sense for the Preds to go to the Southeast.

If not, then they would have to think about possibly moving the Flyers to the Southeast.