• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
grwingfan

Thrashers possibly done in Atlanta!

Rate this topic

I really do not believe that the Thrashers will move this off-season.The way Bettman has been going about the process you can tell that the guy doesn't want to admit that one of his "genius" Southern movements is not working out. The NHL will most likely take control for awhile while they look for more suitors for the team.

In the long run, I do believe that Atlanta will be the first city with 2 failed NHL franchises.

I've kind of seen the flipside of that coin. On one hand The Count has worked tirelessly and frustrating long to keep the Coyotes in Glendale to support a bleeding franchise in a place it doesnt belong but on the other has been enormously quiet in the media as well as making seemingly no major attempt to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta.

I had always thought that was what would happen if the Thrashers were sold. It would mean that the Eastern Conf had 1 team in the Central Time Zone, but it definitely makes the most sense for the Preds to go to the Southeast.

If not, then they would have to think about possibly moving the Flyers to the Southeast.

I am torn about this. From what i've heard, Illitch has made it very obvious the NHL that if a team were to move east, it better be the Wings. I'm guessing that if the Preds were moved to the East he would throw a fit, and id like to think he has some kind of pull. That said, it would probably be huge for the Predators operating costs and probably allow for deeper playoffs runs in the short term.

Guest blueadams

There is a promise to the Illitch Family that the wings will move back into the East if the Thrashers go to Winnepeg.

+1,000

You know, I don't think a Wings move would be approved. Like someone mentioned, Philly might be the one to move into the Southeast, and I would think Carolina and Washington would oppose that since they tend to be on top in that division and Philly would take away a lot of points they need during a season.

This is really stacking up against the Wings even if Atlanta does move. There's just no incentive for the Eastern GMs or owners (whoever approves it) to approve such a move, except for possible increased revenues from Wings games.

You know, I don't think a Wings move would be approved. Like someone mentioned, Philly might be the one to move into the Southeast, and I would think Carolina and Washington would oppose that since they tend to be on top in that division and Philly would take away a lot of points they need during a season.

This is really stacking up against the Wings even if Atlanta does move. There's just no incentive for the Eastern GMs or owners (whoever approves it) to approve such a move, except for possible increased revenues from Wings games.

Red Wings vs Maple Leafs (6 times a year)

Red Wings vs Montreal Canadiens (6 times a year)

Red Wings vs Boston Bruins (6 times a year)

I read that Pittsburgh is a possible move to the Southeast, so Pens vs Caps (6 times), Pens vs Lightning (6 times). The East would be insane NOT to want these matchups. Its the West that wouldn't want this, then again, their conference would get much easier and teams with big markets like LA and Chicago would be more likely to get to the Finals. I, for one, really hopes this happens so I'll have a chance to see the Wings twice a year plus I'll be able to see ALL of their playoff games regardless of who they play since there won't be anymore 10pm start times.

This is good news. I doubted the rumors but it seems to be moving awfully fast and the NHL isn't being obstinate about it like they were with Phoenix. They appear ready to let Atlanta go. IF Detroit moves east, the downside could be playing Pittsburgh a LOT more frequently and of course, facing them in the playoffs before the Finals, leaving the refs to throw games in their favor and us having to listen to more Crosby love.

*RUMOR*

The Winnipeg team will be known as the Manitoba Moose. The NHL owns the Jets name and Logo and they want a ton of money from True North for it. True North already owns the Manitoba Moose name. The AHL team will cease to exist.

If the Thrashers move to Winnipeg, wouldn't Nashville be the likeliest choice to replace them in the Southeast Division?

I'm guessing Minnesota would then take Nashville's place in the Central, while Winnipeg would take Minnesota's place in the Northwest Division. Hence, no Wings move.

Also, I doubt the league would move the only team in the Western Conference that can give them good ratings.

Nashville is in the Central time zone, which would make it the odd team out in the whole Eastern Conference. You're right about the ratings issue with Western teams though...and I doubt the league wants to break up the Chicago/Detroit "rivalry". Most of us would like to get the Leafs/Wings rivalry back, but when the hell are the Leafs going to be a good team again? :lol:

On another note, Bettman shows how inept he is...again...

From the LA Times:

The NHL angered many folks in basically deeming the Coyotes "Too big to fail". The league doesn't need another PR hit when it's obvious the Thrashers are dying a slow death in Atlanta. If the Thrashers are moved it will already be a blow to Bettman's much-maligned strategy of expanding the league to non- traditional hockey markets, but he doesn't need to compound the problem by trying to save another lost cause.

As with most business negotiations, there is no telling how the talks between Atlanta Spirit and True North will play out in the end, but the prospect of the NHL playing in Winnipeg next year seems very real at this stage.

And just like Bettman would prefer this story go away until after the playoffs are over, he would also probably favor the Thrashers staying in Atlanta. Too bad the commissioner has already chosen his battle in the desert, and that could wind up being great news for those begging for the NHL's return to Winnipeg.