• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Shoreline

(1) Vancouver Canucks vs. (2) San Jose Sharks

Rate this topic

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On one hand, the Wings couldn't get past a team that's getting their asses handed to them by the Canucks. So, you might think, "Wow the Wings really weren't that good this year if the team that beat them is struggling this badly in the conference finals."

But when you look at the hypothetical Datsyuk/Zetterberg versus Sedin/Kesler match up and you gotta think that the Wings would have made it harder on the Nucks' top six than the Sharks have.

I remember saying at the end of the season that Ill be happy if we get through the first round. I was very happy after the first round.

Second round was a bit personal being that I live in a pond that harbors guppies. We just about ruined their happiness, one goal...

This round I pray that 20 years of choking doesnt stop.

As far as the Wings go "if" they moved on. We were seriously hurt and worn out. We really were questionable going into round 1. It would have been a serious miracle surviving series 3 and probably would have been embarassing in Series 4. We didnt have a healthy team this year and I am happy we wore down the fishies to where they are now.

Side note, the penalties in this game became fairly comedic. I know the 3 in a row 5-3 were mostly SJ fault but just the first period had me rolling my eyes. If the NHL hopes to stay credible they need to let the teams play. This insane amoun t of calls first one way then the other has got to stop.

Watching what's unfolding on the ice is killing me. The Sharks just aren't executing. It's not the same team that played in round 2 vs you guys. They show flashes of it, but it doesn't last. I don't know if it's the Sharks not having enough juice left, the nucks being too good on special teams, both, or neither. The only comfort I have right now is the fact that Detroit, Chicago, and Tampa all won 3 in a row after being down in the series...and that's not much comfort at all. If Thornton is out for game 5 the chances go from slim to none. Like him or not he's been the best player for the Sharks over the course of these playoffs. Without him they're done.

Guest Crymson

Watching what's unfolding on the ice is killing me. The Sharks just aren't executing. It's not the same team that played in round 2 vs you guys. They show flashes of it, but it doesn't last. I don't know if it's the Sharks not having enough juice left, the nucks being too good on special teams, both, or neither. The only comfort I have right now is the fact that Detroit, Chicago, and Tampa all won 3 in a row after being down in the series...and that's not much comfort at all. If Thornton is out for game 5 the chances go from slim to none. Like him or not he's been the best player for the Sharks over the course of these playoffs. Without him they're done.

While I appreciate your civility, I must say that I'm happy to see the Sharks get perhaps 1/3 of a taste of the god-awful officiating they got in their favor in the 2010 series against the Wings.

Edit: Pardon me; Sharks fans everywhere on the Internet seem to feel that those 5v3s were deserved. As such, I guess the Sharks aren't getting that very nasty dose.

Edited by Crymson

1) The sight of Todd "Pop-a-Vein" McLellan was worth the price of admission.

2) The play that Sedin, H. made to get the too-many-men penalty was pure genius.

3) From Vancouver Sun :

But in a text message two hours after the game ended, Thornton indicated he would be ready to play in Game 5.

“100 percent,” he wrote. “It’s playoffs, got to play through everything.”

Texted?

On one hand, the Wings couldn't get past a team that's getting their asses handed to them by the Canucks. So, you might think, "Wow the Wings really weren't that good this year if the team that beat them is struggling this badly in the conference finals."

But when you look at the hypothetical Datsyuk/Zetterberg versus Sedin/Kesler match up and you gotta think that the Wings would have made it harder on the Nucks' top six than the Sharks have.

The Wings would have been a better matchup because they were the better team. Granted, the Sharks won the first three games of that series, but since then, they've lost 6 of their last 8 games. The Wings were looking really good and heating up when the Sharks squeaked out their Game 7 win. The Wings were getting better, the Sharks were getting worse and unfortunately for everyone except the Canucks, the latter won the decisive game.

Guest Shoreline

The Wings would have been a better matchup because they were the better team. Granted, the Sharks won the first three games of that series, but since then, they've lost 6 of their last 8 games. The Wings were looking really good and heating up when the Sharks squeaked out their Game 7 win. The Wings were getting better, the Sharks were getting worse and unfortunately for everyone except the Canucks, the latter won the decisive game.

Sadly I agree with that I thought my team was the better one of the Red Wings/Sharks matchup but er it's quite nonsensical to argue this openly when my team lost the series. Kind of a useless comparison, Red Wings/Canucks, at this point.

Edited by Shoreline

Yeah, because San Hosay has so many fans here in the US. :rolleyes:

Either way, league won't get the Final ratings they've gotten the past 3 seasons.

I wasn't referring to anything about TV ratings or San Jose fans in the US.. I just loathe the Canucks more than I can remember loathing any NHL team in the past. That includes Colorado, Nashville (back when they were a threat), Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc.

There are a multitude of reasons I hate them including the hypocrisy of Mike Gillis, the whole team acting like they just won the cup after game 7 in round 1 including Luongo: "This feels better than the gold medal game", the ridiculous notion in Canada that they be adopted as "Canada's team", the over-the-top bias of CBC announcers (Glenn Healey's idiocy specifically), and Vancouver fans' overall sense of entitlement going back to last season.

Overall the antics and attitude of the Canucks baffles me as to why anyone besides primary Canucks fans would be cheering for them.

I'd much rather see Joe Thornton, Pavelski, Heatley, Couture, etc play for the Cup so it sucks that it's not going to happen, I just hope Boston or Tampa Bay can beat them. If Vancouver goes on to win it will make 3 straight years that the worst possible team won the Cup lol/:(

I wasn't referring to anything about TV ratings or San Jose fans in the US.. I just loathe the Canucks more than I can remember loathing any NHL team in the past. That includes Colorado, Nashville (back when they were a threat), Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc.

There are a multitude of reasons I hate them including the hypocrisy of Mike Gillis, the whole team acting like they just won the cup after game 7 in round 1 including Luongo: "This feels better than the gold medal game", the ridiculous notion in Canada that they be adopted as "Canada's team", the over-the-top bias of CBC announcers (Glenn Healey's idiocy specifically), and Vancouver fans' overall sense of entitlement going back to last season.

Overall the antics and attitude of the Canucks baffles me as to why anyone besides primary Canucks fans would be cheering for them.

I'd much rather see Joe Thornton, Pavelski, Heatley, Couture, etc play for the Cup so it sucks that it's not going to happen, I just hope Boston or Tampa Bay can beat them. If Vancouver goes on to win it will make 3 straight years that the worst possible team won the Cup lol/:(

Agreed. I guess the hatred for the team that's knocked the Wings out twice is stronger for some people.

Since they both can't lose, honestly I'd probably prefer the Sharks win for most of the reasons you mentioned, especially the sense of entitlement and incessant lecturing from Vancouver fans about how great their teams is and how unbiased their perspective is, but barring another meltdown by the Canucks, it ain't happening.

Add to that a lot of canadians apparently root for whatever canadian team is left so Canada can win the Cup (???), so it becomes an inferiority complex on top of an inferiority complex, with all the annoying side effects that go with it.

Add to that a lot of canadians apparently root for whatever canadian team is left so Canada can win the Cup (???), so it becomes an inferiority complex on top of an inferiority complex, with all the annoying side effects that go with it.

Spot on. I do not understand that thought process one bit. I know not every single native Canadian thinks along these lines but I know it's pretty damn close to becoming a border war with those fans. But, we then become irrational by even pointing out their sense of amazingness as the 'founding nation of hockey. Meh, whatever, I have found my peace on this topic and almost feel bad for those who try and justify cheering on another Canadian team just so they can say they "won the Cup".

Agreed. I guess the hatred for the team that's knocked the Wings out twice is stronger for some people.

Since they both can't lose, honestly I'd probably prefer the Sharks win for most of the reasons you mentioned, especially the sense of entitlement and incessant lecturing from Vancouver fans about how great their teams is and how unbiased their perspective is, but barring another meltdown by the Canucks, it ain't happening.

Hmmmm, a decent team of divers with a whiny, entitled fanbase in Canada versus a decent team of divers with a whiny, entitled fanbase in California. I'm rooting for the Canadian team.

Canadians at least have a respect for the game and its history. Most Californians, in my experience, do not.

Guest Crymson

If all else is equal, I'll root against the team that has Joe Thornton, Ryane Clowe and Dany Heatley on it.

You better have a good burst valve installed in your head if the Canucks win the cup. And get some WD-40 on that sonofabitch -- now.

Sadly I agree with that I thought my team was the better one of the Red Wings/Sharks matchup but er it's quite nonsensical to argue this openly when my team lost the series. Kind of a useless comparison, Red Wings/Canucks, at this point.

That's kind of why I've avoided weighing in o this until now. Detroit was beaten by a team that is now getting beaten. Having said that though and at this point in time, I'm glad we got the Sharks and not the Wings. Read into that what you will.

Spot on. I do not understand that thought process one bit. I know not every single native Canadian thinks along these lines but I know it's pretty damn close to becoming a border war with those fans. But, we then become irrational by even pointing out their sense of amazingness as the 'founding nation of hockey. Meh, whatever, I have found my peace on this topic and

almost feel bad for those who try and justify cheering on another Canadian team just so they can say they "won the Cup".

Hank, I'm old enough to remember both Blue jays World Series wins in 1992 and 1993. There is a direct parallel here to what you guys are saying about Canada and the Canucks, and America and the Atlanta Braves in 1992 and the Phillies in 1993.

I'd say far more Americans per capita wanted the American teams to win -- possibly even over 90 percent. Some of the people here complain about CBC bias? Go back and have a listen to the World Series on American television from those two years. Hell, the Blue Jays and Canada got so little respect south of the border that on one occasion our flag was flown upside down for the national anthem. Of course there was the added factor that the World Series had never been won by a team outside the U.S. before, but that really doesn't change anything in my mind. My point is -- that I remember a helluva lot of Americans were pulling for the American teams regardless of their normal allegiances. Harold said it's an inferiority complex. If so then it cuts across both sides of the border. For me, it's better defined as nationalism.

But I digress -- regarding Canadians, I'd say this really isn't the case for the most part in cities with NHL teams and their diehard fans. No way they want us to win. On the other hand, fans in areas of Canada that do not have NHL teams are more likely to get on-board with the Canucks. Also, even if you do live in an NHL market but you're a casual fan you might get onboard with the Canucks. For instance -- Gordon Lightfoot was interviewed on the George Strombouloupoulouplouplos show last week and said, "I'm a Leafs fan but I will root for the last Canadian team standing no matter who it is." That's the attitude of some, but of far fewer in NHL markets. And I have no problem with either side.

Guest Crymson

Hmmmm, a decent team of divers with a whiny, entitled fanbase in Canada versus a decent team of divers with a whiny, entitled fanbase in California. I'm rooting for the Canadian team.

Canadians at least have a respect for the game and its history. Most Californians, in my experience, do not.

Given Franzen's history as a playoff performer, I'm thinking that we'd have beaten the Sharks if he were in the lineup. It would have been nice if we'd gotten one of those crazy OT bounces, too, instead of the Sharks getting both.

Honestly though I've found the Sharks fans to be mostly pretty cool. If anything a lot of them are harder on their team than any outside fan. As for California hockey fans, my experience in southern california has been that the ones who follow hockey are actually knowledgeable. Well, except maybe for some Ducks fans. It's like the sport doesn't exist at all to the general public, but the hockey fans are pretty hardcore (and a lot of them are transplants from hockey cities).

But the series has pretty much been a dive-off. It's hard to pick who I want to lose more, but I guess I'm less annoyed by Sharks fans and have contempt for fewer Sharks players. :D

Spot on. I do not understand that thought process one bit. I know not every single native Canadian thinks along these lines but I know it's pretty damn close to becoming a border war with those fans. But, we then become irrational by even pointing out their sense of amazingness as the 'founding nation of hockey. Meh, whatever, I have found my peace on this topic and almost feel bad for those who try and justify cheering on another Canadian team just so they can say they "won the Cup".

To me it's kind of like St. Louis fans hating on the Wings like it's this huge rivalry, when from a Wings fans perspective, we didn't even know there was one.

Had I not seen it talked about on hfboards, if Vancouver wins the Cup I never would've had the thought "Canada won!" And certainly if any of the other three teams won it wouldn't be like the U.S. won. It's not like when Chicago won last year Wings fans were saying "the Midwest won the Cup!"

Easily the most annoying thing about the playoffs in Canada. They always jump on whatever bangwagon is still going in Canada. I've seen Flames fans just up and become huge Vancouver fans, like wtf is that? There your bitter division rival, you arent much of a hockey fan if your doing that. Surprisingly, the only Canadian hockey fans that havent jumped onto the bandwagon that I've seen, are the Leafs fans. Call them crazy, call them delusional, but they stick by there team. But overall, f*** the Cup coming back to Canada. I'm as big a Canadian hockey fan as possible, but when the Canucks who's best players are American and Swedish, are being anointed as Canadas team, I have a problem with that.

All that said... I still want them to beat San Jose because f*** those divers, but after that go Tampa/Boston :ph34r::hehe:

This is exactlly why I was hoping that the Wings would be the ones going to the Conference Finals to face Vancouver. I just think that Detroit would have been able to match-up better with the Canucks than the Sharks have so far. It really looks like the Canucks are going to win it all this season as hard as that is for me to deal with it looks like it's going to happen. I just think it would have been a better match up if the Wings would have been able to play Vancouver in this round.

Guest Shoreline

Canadians see cheering for their country and things surrounding it differently than Americans.

Being someone who is from the U.S., unfortunately it takes skyscrapers falling and killing a lot of people to be patriotic and look like they've got anything going together.

The only reason I'm cheering for Vancouver is because I don't want San Jose to win. If Vancouver wins this series, they could lose to Tampa or Boston and I wouldn't care. I'd just want a Stanley Cup Finals with little ref interference as possible.

Easily the most annoying thing about the playoffs in Canada. They always jump on whatever bangwagon is still going in Canada. I've seen Flames fans just up and become huge Vancouver fans, like wtf is that? There your bitter division rival, you arent much of a hockey fan if your doing that. Surprisingly, the only Canadian hockey fans that havent jumped onto the bandwagon that I've seen, are the Leafs fans. Call them crazy, call them delusional, but they stick by there team. But overall, f*** the Cup coming back to Canada. I'm as big a Canadian hockey fan as possible, but when the Canucks who's best players are American and Swedish, are being anointed as Canadas team, I have a problem with that.

All that said... I still want them to beat San Jose because f*** those divers, but after that go Tampa/Boston :ph34r::hehe:

Supposedly fans from BC and Alberta will never cheer for the Leafs even if they're the only Canadian team left. Of course, the Leafs have to actually make the playoffs and/or not be the first Canadian eliminated virtually all the time in recent years to test this theory. :lol:

Kesler with one final dive. I'm revising my opinion on him. Looks like the old Kesler is returning.

Not to beat a dead horse, but my respect for Kesler has been reduced to nothingness . When Marleau hit him against the boards, and he stayed down with his pretend boo-boo, then looked up to see if any of the refs were watching, was one thing. But baiting Clowe at game's end, and then dropping like a fly from those taps to the jaw, and staying down for minutes (TV audience), only to pop-up to congratulate Luongo, was LAME. Like some one else mentioned, it was interesting to see that only a few teammates came by to check on him. Wonder if he's not well-liked by his team. . .