• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

Who Stays? Who Goes?

Rate this topic

Who Do You Not Want Back?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If you could decide - without regard to contract lengths, trade restrictions, the cap, etc - who wears a Red Wings uniform next year, who would you like to wave goodbye to? Select as many people as you see fit. For the time being this is a poll only - consider it a mood ring of sorts.

Edited by kook_10

Why do I have to vote in each "category"? I didn't select any guys who I'd like to keep around "just in case." The closest in group 3 for me is Joey Macdonald but I hope he plays for the Griffins again.

There really are no "categories". The poll doesn't allow for more than 10 choices for any question so it just had to be that way.

Edited by kook_10

I selected Draper, Joey Mac, and Ozzie. I would love to see us solidify a goaltending tandem in the off-season.

I didn't select Salei, but I imagine he's gone given the development of Kindl. I think Ericsson only stays at the right price, though I wouldn't mind seeing him leave in the name of a more talented D-man.

I've wrestled with Drew Miller and whether or not he should stay. He's a solid defensive forward and a part of the PK, but we also have Helm, Abby, Eaves and could have Corey Emmerton up here for less.

For players, my votes went to Modano, Draper, Hudler, Miller, and Salei. The Modano signing, for various reasons, didn't work, and he's probably going to retire. Draper is one of my favorite Wings through this era, but I think it's time for the team to move on. Perhaps he retires, but I also wouldn't be opposed to signing him to a league minimum type contract for him to be the 14th forward. I also like Miller, but I don't think he provides much different than some other, better players on the team, and for the money, I think the Wings could add a different type of forward to the team (perhaps a bigger/stronger agitator type).

Hudler... he again is sort of a repeat of other forwards we have on the team, but the other forwards are better. The Wings would be better off with a bigger player in his position that is more sound defensively. I'll take a decrease in points for improved size, aggression, and defensive ability.

Overall I liked Salei as well, but he's older and I'd like to see a younger guy in that spot. Preferably, a stay-at-home type that can help the PK, and perhaps can play with Rafalski to provide that pairing with balance. Basically, I'd like them to get a young guy that is right now a borderline 3/4 d-man that can grow into a bigger role as Lids and Rafalski move on after a few more seasons.

Sorry, people voted for Nick? :lol: anyyywwaaaaayyyssss

I chose McCrimmon, sort of obvious there but probably wouldn't happen. I voted for Modano, Draper, Hudler, Ericsson, Salei, and Ozzie. The rest stay in my opinion. Raf's bloated contract is definitely a lot to look at right now but not much to be done there really. Modano's project simply didn't work as the injury sort of hampered any chance he had to help us. Drapes looked pretty damn effective out there at times this year and was just awesome in the 1st round against Phoenix as most were though. Hudler's overall game is something we have to navigate away from. He gets knocked off the puck way too easily and I am not one to have him be a whipping boy, but whatever we can get for this guy is definitely a plus. Ericsson is the most frustrating player on this team. Uses none of his 6'5" frame at any point out there. He could be knocked down by freaking Brian Gionta and probably has been. I just see no use for him and would like to see what Kindl can do or go out make an offer to Bieksa. Salei wasn't as bad as some on here would have portrayed. He was signed to be a 5th/6th dman and fit that bill. In year's past we had awesome 5th/6th dman and that made all the difference with this season I think. Salei came pretty cheap and was actually not that bad with Kronner but just too old now. We will see how it pans out.

went with Draper,Modano,Salei,MacDonald,Osgood

Modano I think is pretty much done,which is unfortunate because I think that signing would have turned out a lot better if it wasn't for that freak accident of an injury he had

Draper I think it's just time to move on and make room for Mursak and such

Salei same as Draper,he was a good signing this year but Kindl needs more playing time next year

MacDonald had his moments but i'm just plain not comfortable with the idea of having him as a backup

Osgood I think is pretty much done with all his injury problems at his age

Edited by ricky0034

Honestly, who voted for Lidstrom? I cannot bear the thought of where we'd be if we iced the same team but without Lidstrom. Our PP might be bottom 5 worst in the league.

Obviously you guys want Draper gone, and probably mostly for his age. That said though, he plays basically every shift like its his last and this team needs to employ more guys like that, not show them the door. If Maltby lasted as long as he did, Draper will almost certainly be here next year regardless of what we think anyway.

Edited by achildr1

Surprised no one has voted Kronner or Stuart yet. Pleased, but surprised.

Kronwall might have made a few mistakes here and there but he played great and I didn't even pay attention to Stuart so that must have meant he didn't make a ton of mistakes(or they didn't score on them anyway).

Really though who chooses NIck and even one vote for Jimmy after his playoff performance?

I went with McCrimmon, Draper, Modano, Osgood, Hudler and Ericsson. Draper, Modano and Osgood are just getting too old which doesn't apply to Nick because he still plays like an elite player. Hudler and Ericsson were just awful in the Sharks series.

Hudler is the #1 concern though, please get rid of him.

Edited by MGreenberg

Mo (forgot to vote for him), Flip, Hudler, Bert, Homer, and Joey Mac all go.

The 2nd/3rd liners should be seriously re-evaluated by the Wings front office, especially Hudler and Flip. Those two are the key part to our depth but they are not consistent enough to be relied upon.

I have to say I voted for some of these guys just because I feel like we need a change. I would bet that the only changes that happen are the ones Holland doesn't make. Like Modano calling it a career. Somehow I think we lose Emmerton due to us having too many players from this same team under contract.

Man up and make the team more powerful at the top like other teams have been doing. The way the cap keeps going up it hardly is a punishment to give a lifetime contract to a superstar.

Wouldn't it be nice to steal a Weber or a Richards and maybe a future player like Bogosian even if at the expense of Bertuzzi, Cleary, Hudler, Ericsson, etc???

The only thing I say must change though is our coaching. If you want to fire McCrimmon only, okay do it. I wouldn't be upset if they did more. If Lids retires, I say we make him the replacement of McCrummy or Babcock, because I honestly think Mike just lets him run the team now anyways.

This is hard. I figure that Modano, Draper and Ozzie will most likely hang up the skates. The only one I really want to lose to anything but age is Ruslan Salei. He just didn't impress me. I miss the shot blocking that Andreas Lilja was willing to take, and I'd like to see someone else take up that mantle.

And who is the idiot that voted for Nick??? Thirty lashes to you!

I voted for Modano, Hudler, Bert, and Ericsson. Ozzie too, because I had to select someone on that list in order to vote. I was undecided on Draper and Salei.

Mo should go because its time for him to retire, I would have loved to see what he had in the tank if he could have played a whole season with the Wings, but that horrible injury...

Hudler just ain't the same since his KHL stint. He doesn't seem to fit anywhere for the whole season and playoffs. I'd rather see the Wings let him go and try someone else.

Bert doesn't seem to fit. I know he loves playing here and I know he's well liked in the locker room but on the ice, he's playing a different game from the Wings. He's got that Iggy 'I-can-do-it-all' puck hogging thing and in this last series with the Sharks he kept shooting or hogging the puck and seemed to ignore or not be aware of his line mates very much. The Wings are a puck possession team, which means lots of passing and movement. Not hanging on to the puck all day and trying to cram it in. He's no Dats and even Dats doesn't hang on to the puck all day like Bert. My point is, Bert doesn't seem to fit quite right. He's had time to adjust his game to the Babcock's style and hasn't. So I'd rather see the Wings get someone else to fill that slot.

Ericsson just hasn't panned out the way Babcock wants him to. They've tinkered with him long enough. Let the guy move on elsewhere and maybe he'll find his stride.

Ozzie, I love ya and wish you could play every game for the next 1,000 years but its time to retire with dignity. Howard has proved this playoffs that he's more than ready for the prime time. If you want to stay on as goalie coach, I'm OK with that.

Draper... see Ozzie above. But before you go, give Fil all your face-off tricks please.

Salei... has left me with a feeling of "meh" I'm not a hater but I'm not impressed either. I'd like to see the guy step up, but if he left I wouldn't be upset either.

Homer, whom I also consider in the retirement zone needs to either go or find something new and useful to do. Like Draper did with face offs to extend his career. Homer's the screening prototype and the best at that gig but now 29 other teams screen the goalie just like him making his contributions predictable and routine. And, as we know in hockey, predictable and routine are easy to beat. So if there's no last variation for Homer to make, its time to retire with Ozzie and Drapes... with dignity. He's taken fantastic abuse and has the heart of a warrior but his body is telling everybody its time to hang up the skates.

As for Nik... He can stay as long as he wants.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Gotta go:

Osgood - I've been calling for his retirement since Jan. I sorta expect him to show up to camp and not make it unless Kenny decides for him.

McCrimmon - Defense has never been worse w/ such a good crew.

Draper - Sorry, you were great, but it's time.

Modano - Nice experiment, wish he didn't have such a bad year.

Wish would go:

Hudler - Gets thrown around like a rag doll in the playoffs, hasn't shown any return to sniper ability pre-KHL.

Ericcson - Hype & hopes for the future > reality -- Isn't physical enough either.

On the Fence:

Salei - He has potential. However, his errors led to many points against this year.

Edited by CaliWingsNut

Guest CaliWingsNut

Haha I enjoy that the only people who still have no votes are Datsyuk and Helm.

and Zetterberg, and Kronwall

I actually may be in the large minority here but I thought E was solid this season and in the playoffs. I felt like he didnt panic with the puck, was more physical and more in control. If you look at where he came from last year, which was a HORRIBLE year, I think Johnny is growing an maturing as a player- we isnt Lidstrom...no one will be- but he is a good addition to this club.