• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

Who Stays? Who Goes?

Rate this topic

Who Do You Not Want Back?  

171 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Want to let things settle a bit after the rollercoaster of the last week+ before throwing any names out there. The one thing I will say though is that Kenny absolutely needs to get in contact with Helm's agent & get him signed to a long-term extension right now. Don't even let him go into next season on the last year of his current deal.

I voted for McCrimmon, Hudler, Ericsson, and Salei. Filppula I could take or leave, too, but if he stays, I won't be ticked. I'm not over the moon about MacDonald, but he's got the right price tag on him, so if they want to keep him and use the money saved to bone up on defense instead, that's fine with me.

I didn't vote for anybody who's possibly just going to retire anyway, so I left out Modano, Ozzie, and Draper. Oz and Drapes can stay if they want, even if they shouldn't.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Want to let things settle a bit after the rollercoaster of the last week+ before throwing any names out there. The one thing I will say though is that Kenny absolutely needs to get in contact with Helm's agent & get him signed to a long-term extension right now. Don't even let him go into next season on the last year of his current deal.

Naw... He'll put him in a rough situation early next season, make him feel the heat for a week or two, then sign him.

My thoughts:

As Good As Signed:

Lidstrom, obviously. No way he retires. Not. A. Chance.

Eaves is going to be a Wing for life unless he completely prices himself out of the possibility, which I really doubt will happen. He's thrived here and gets hockey tradition and he knows what it means to wear this jersey. I'm expecting a longer deal, 3-4 years at least if not more, and I expect he'll sign for around $1.5 million, give or take. He's still got lots of upside we've yet to see.

On the Bubble:

Salei signing again wouldn't shock me, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was gone either.

Osgood wants to play and was strong in the backup role this year when healthy. But the health factor is everything and I don't expect anything to be finalized on the backup job until after camp unless Osgood decides he's done. If he's truly healthy, he'll be back.

Drew Miller may be gone if the Wings don't assure him that he has a full-time role on the team. He's too good of a player to sit in the press box every other night and he knows it. If neither Draper nor Modano are brought back, I think he'll be a Wing for awhile.

Most Likely Gone:

Draper and Modano are most likely done. The only way I see them coming back is if we really struggle to find guys to fill out the team.

Ericsson is likely to be gone as he'll likely chase money and I'm sure he'll find more than the Wings are willing to give.

Joey MacDonald was fairly strong down the stretch when we needed him and might try to leverage that into more money and a legitimate backup role. I'm not convinced the Wings are comfortable giving him either. If no one bites though, he'll at least be at camp competing.

Players Under Contract That Could Be Moved:

***Ultra-Speculatory Warning***

Filppula will be heading into the final year of a 5-year deal in which after every year the Wings were left waiting for the true breakout year. I'm not sure the Wings will be keen on signing him again at $3 million a year or more given this fact, so again, if the right deal came up, I think he could be dealt. He could make more money on another team and play a bigger role, and the Wings know this. They'll have to decide how much he's worth to them and if it'll be enough to keep him here once the current contract expires. I highly doubt it'll happen, but for all his brilliant flashes, he simply hasn't consistently been strong enough to consider the possibility out of the question.

Hudler has been disappointing this year to say the least. If the right deal were to come up, I don't think the Wings would hesitate to move him. Then again, I don't expect it much at all let alone over the summer. If he has a descent start to the season and a good deal came along to make while his stock was up, he's gone. So long as he's here though, he'll continue to be given every opportunity to consistently realize his offensive potential. If he continues to struggle through next year with no trade, I can tell you one thing for certain: he will not be a Wing for the 2012-13 season.