• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:05 PM

For now he should try to be like the best version of Lilja, only with a much better first pass. Make the simple play, block shots, PK, play physical, and occasionally get in scraps where he hopefully doesn't get his ass handed to him.

I'm sure that's what a lot of us on here think. It probably isn't what he feels right now.

#122 dteowner

dteowner

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

The difference between early Fischer and Potential Ericsson (this "potential" thing is being treated like a completely different player, so I'm giving him a name) comes down to passing. Fischer was a whipping boy because he had the bad habit of getting out of position and often taking stupid penalties trying to recover. In spite of that problem, his passing was never a problem because he knew his role and didn't try to get cute. Potential Ericsson seems to think he's a regular dishin' machine when the reality is he can't make a safe tape-to-tape to save his life. Positioning is something a Dman learns with experience. Picking your spots, for the physical guys, is another (think how Kronner has had the light come on the past two seasons compared to earlier when he's tend to go for hits when a miss meant certain goal against). Smart passing doesn't seem to be something these guys learn with experience. Either they come into the league being a puck handler, or they don't.

Potential Ericsson is a turnover machine and that's not likely to get better, even once he gets more comfortable with positioning and using his size. We're a puck possession team and it starts with reliable first passes. We're losing a very skilled passer in Rafi which will put an ever bigger spotlight on the primary weakness of Potential Ericsson.

#123 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

Ericsson is no Fischer.
The only thing Ericsson has over him is a slightly harder shot (that he can't use in-game).
Fischer was better in every area and would have been a beast for us now at the age of 30 - you could just see it all starting to come together for him in his final couple years.

Heck, reading reports from prospect camp, Fischer is still able to school every one of our hot shot prospects at camp.

If not for his medical issues, Fischer would have been a legit star defenseman by now. He was faster than any current Wing except maybe Helm, he could shoot harder, he could hit as hard as anyone, he was a smart passer, good defensively, he could scrap... he was like a European Chris Pronger but with rocket skates. And it was all coming together and then boom, it all fell apart.
"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#124 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

I'd appreciate....

if Ericsson took a walk ;)
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#125 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:33 PM

Yeah I don't mind seeing Ericcson walk especially if he's demanding more than 2 million +. Not worth it obviously but then again slim pickings imo for what's out there in the market. Honestly don't know about Smith quite yet and Kindl sure but we need now 2-3 guys on D pending on Nick. Sort of worried now compared to last offseason when everything was fine and dandy...

#126 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

Ericsson sucks.

#127 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:31 AM

For under 1.25, he's a great 5-6 DMan. For 2-3.5mil, he's a terrible 4-6 DMan.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#128 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:17 AM

For under 1.25, he's a great 5-6 DMan. For 2-3.5mil, he's a terrible 4-6 DMan.

And for 1.25-1.75, he's a #5/6 d-man at a reasonable price if we can't find anything better for the role.

Yes?

In my opinion, Ericsson still has some room to grow: he's a later bloomer, he's a large guy, and he's a d-man. All of this could equate to a player that doesn't hit his prime until 30. If everything comes together for him, he could be a respectable #4.

The biggest issue currently is a matter of where to put him. He's solid defensively when he's not consistently the last line of defense, so you can't put him with a risk-taker. Likewise, he needs someone reliable to let him jump up for his offense. At the same time, his partner has to be reasonably reliable offensively to carry the pairing during a slump.

This makes a guy with balanced offense and defense like Lidstrom a perfect partner for him, but it just so happens our guy like that isf****** amazing and our #1 d-man. Ericsson is not top pairing qualtiy at this time. Lidstrom is the only guy we've really had like that (Kronwall is more offensively oriented; his offense from jumping into the play is lethal, making a defensively-oriented partner ideal for him. Stuart doesn't have the offense. Rafalski wasn't reliable defensively. Salei definitely didn't have the offense).

Hpwever, if the Wings can acquire a d-man to play on the right side of Kronwall that's of sufficient quality, that may be different this next year. I think the Wings are looking at a point where Lidstrom's numbers can be toned back, and likewise Kronwall can take on more responsibilities. They can share a 1a/1b role when it comes to overall minutes. Kronwall's partner can be someone that logs #3 minutes. Stuart can anchor the bottom pairing, providing a steady partner for Kindl, even while he gets double shifted on defensive minutes and eats crazy PK time to give him similar #3 minutes. This leaves Ericsson as a solid choice for Lidstrom's partner, and it just so happens that's the style of d-man Ericsson needs to play next to.

Pairings (sorted descending by ES icetime as a pairing)

Kronwall | ????
Lidstrom | Ericsson
Stuart | Kindl

PK icetime (descending)

Stuart
????
Lidstrom/Kronwall/Ericsson
Kindl

PP icetime

Lidstrom
Kronwall
????
Ericsson/Kindl/Stuart

ES icetime

Kronwall
Lidstrom
????
Stuart
Ericsson
Kindl

Total icetime

Lidstrom/Kronwall
????/Stuart
Ericsson
Kindl

If the right person can be acquired to fill "????" I'm quite fine with that arrangement. If he cannot, or if Ericsson cannot be had for a reasonable contract, I would prefer 2 new acquistions, both of 2nd pairing (or better) quality.

Edited by Datsyerberger, 31 May 2011 - 03:34 AM.

If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#129 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:28 AM

I appreciate Jonathan Ericsson as a Detroit Red Wing. I also appreciate that if Jonathan Ericsson wants anything more than 2 mil a year I'll happily drive him to the airport myself and wish him all the best in Holmstrom swedeglish.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#130 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

And for 1.25-1.75, he's a #5/6 d-man at a reasonable price if we can't find anything better for the role.

Yes?

In my opinion, Ericsson still has some room to grow: he's a later bloomer, he's a large guy, and he's a d-man. All of this could equate to a player that doesn't hit his prime until 30. If everything comes together for him, he could be a respectable #4.

The biggest issue currently is a matter of where to put him. He's solid defensively when he's not consistently the last line of defense, so you can't put him with a risk-taker. Likewise, he needs someone reliable to let him jump up for his offense. At the same time, his partner has to be reasonably reliable offensively to carry the pairing during a slump.

This makes a guy with balanced offense and defense like Lidstrom a perfect partner for him, but it just so happens our guy like that isf****** amazing and our #1 d-man. Ericsson is not top pairing qualtiy at this time. Lidstrom is the only guy we've really had like that (Kronwall is more offensively oriented; his offense from jumping into the play is lethal, making a defensively-oriented partner ideal for him. Stuart doesn't have the offense. Rafalski wasn't reliable defensively. Salei definitely didn't have the offense).

Hpwever, if the Wings can acquire a d-man to play on the right side of Kronwall that's of sufficient quality, that may be different this next year. I think the Wings are looking at a point where Lidstrom's numbers can be toned back, and likewise Kronwall can take on more responsibilities. They can share a 1a/1b role when it comes to overall minutes. Kronwall's partner can be someone that logs #3 minutes. Stuart can anchor the bottom pairing, providing a steady partner for Kindl, even while he gets double shifted on defensive minutes and eats crazy PK time to give him similar #3 minutes. This leaves Ericsson as a solid choice for Lidstrom's partner, and it just so happens that's the style of d-man Ericsson needs to play next to.

Pairings (sorted descending by ES icetime as a pairing)

Kronwall | ????
Lidstrom | Ericsson
Stuart | Kindl

PK icetime (descending)

Stuart
????
Lidstrom/Kronwall/Ericsson
Kindl

PP icetime

Lidstrom
Kronwall
????
Ericsson/Kindl/Stuart

ES icetime

Kronwall
Lidstrom
????
Stuart
Ericsson
Kindl

Total icetime

Lidstrom/Kronwall
????/Stuart
Ericsson
Kindl

If the right person can be acquired to fill "????" I'm quite fine with that arrangement. If he cannot, or if Ericsson cannot be had for a reasonable contract, I would prefer 2 new acquistions, both of 2nd pairing (or better) quality.

Good post. I think Ericsson re-signs (for more than some believe he's worth), but will be put in an effective role that serves his purpose. They guy is a good defenseman, skates well and has a bomb of a shot. His knocks on him now use to be a non-issue. His first pass and easily getting pressured. I don't know what 'flipped the switch' for him to lose so much confidence, but hopefully he regains it and becomes the defenseman we all know he's capable of becoming. I would feel comfortable with him on the 2nd paring right now. He logs lots of minutes and is a great PKer.