• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Our last playoff berth?

Rate this topic

in the Western Conference that is.. With strong word that Atlanta may be heading up to the great white north and rumors swirling that Detroit would be the team to head East could this have been our last playoffs in the Western Conference. If so it's a shame not to get payback on the Sharks but it could also mean new rivalries, more original 6 match ups and all you east coasters don't have to complain about the games in the Pacific time zone anymore :lol: . With all that said it's been a pretty sucessful run in the West. Obviously none of this has been confirmed as yet but it's something kinda cool to think about moving into the off season .

I'll believe it when I see it.

I hope it happens.

Yea I agree, politics in this league move pretty slow but the rumors caught fire pretty fast today. I'm from the West and I would love it for the Wings to move East.

It will never happen. The Wings draw too much of a crowd in the Western arenas to risk the move financially.

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have the wings be in the East (they'ld run train every year in that conference), but I don't think Bettman would allow them to move.

Honestly, the western and eastern conferences practically play a whole different style hockey. Most would say that Detroit would go to the eastern conference and just rape, well I would agree to the point of making the playoffs every year but I wouldn't go as far to say that we would "steam roll" through a conference. I would HATE to go to the eastern conference as it seems that the competitiveness in the western is higher and it seems the eastern conference team normally comes into the SCF unprepared for the powerhouse that is the western conference.

Would be glorious. We ran over the Eastern Conference last year, and if we had an easier path through the playoffs we have a coach and a team that knows how to win against the West. But like others, i'll believe it when I see it.

I think I would miss the west, less travel would be nice but there is something about going on a west coast trip, it always seemed to help bring the team together.

I understand where you guys are all coming from but do you guys really want to give up on all the great rivalries we have with san jose, anaheim, chicago, etc? I love being in the west for my own selfish reasons but I would hate to know the best hockey is going on out west and the wings are not a part of it.

I would say Columbus or Nashville would switch personally if you base it on logic. Detroit has way too much of a following in the West.

Detroit has a following everywhere, especially in all of the southeastern markets. Go to a game in Tampa Bay, Florida, Carolina, Atlanta, you name it, it's a Wings home game.

That said, I have heard nothing of Atlanta moving anywhere. Even if it is true, Columbus would be the first to go because they are further east, and the owners out west like the crowds the Wings bring with them.

The teams in the northeast that the Wings would be competing against draw pretty well on their own. Nashville is just too far west to go east, especially when you have Columbus butting right up to the north eastern region of the country.

I would love to see it happen, even though I would miss the rivalries with Chicago and St. Louis.

The Lions will win a Super Bowl before this happens. I hate to say it.

Edited by Redwings 1926

I give that 1:100 odds. Where it falls apart is when you ask all the East coast teams governors what they think about it,

Ask yourself. If you were the Governor for Buffalo, Toronto, or the Panthers.. Would you say Yea for Detroit going East?

They will keep Detroit in the Western Conference however they need to in order to keep them there. Dont get me wrong, other than not seeing them playing a guaranteed 2 game set in SJ for me to attend, watching them at 4:30 is no biggie.

It would be awesome to watch them set records for the highest scoring team in NHL history. We all know that East coast hockey sucks and is alot of dump and bump. The Wings would make the Caps and Snow Chikens look like also ran teams and the NHL cant have that.

I like them in the west. Thats where they get the most competition. But s*** being in the east they might be able to make it a whole season without major injuries imagine that

Being in the East might kill their killer instinct. Battling year in and out with teams like Anaheim, San Jose, etc. makes them sharper for the playoffs. Playing the scrubs in the East will just lead to easy President's Trophies and shell-shock come Stanley Cup finals.

But we've heard this rumor for years, and the NHL always denies it emphatically. They don't want Detroit in the East because that would be a serious blow to the Western Conference.