• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Our last playoff berth?

Rate this topic

As someone put it quite well in the Coldfront NHL channel, "But nobody gives a !@#$ about Columbus."

End of story.

:lol: Right on.

Wings in the East would almost guarantee a Stanley Cup Final. The games against Boston, Toronto, and Montreal consistently throughout the year would be just epic as well. Just not sure it could happen as we would be leaving Chicago as the only O6 team left in the West. Not that Uncle Gary gives a s*** about that part of it but just a factor that comes into play somewhere.

I would miss the late games I wont lie, as a cook I work late sometimes but this is nothing a dvr cant fix. I would LOVE playing the Leafs again, and I mean LOVE! Yes this could work for me. thumbup.gif

I work retail so I like the late games as well. But I guess there's always DVR, at least until playoffs come around (I like to watch those live).

Honestly, as much as I enjoy the mini-rivalries with Chicago, San Jose, Anaheim, etc., how cool would it be to actually play one of those teams in a series that MATTERS? (The Finals). How many times do we find ourselves saying in the second or third round "This is the real SCF?" It would be cool for that to finally be the case. Plus, I'm sure Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburgh and Washington would oblige us in the rivalry department after a season or two.

Honestly, I'd rather have a non-conference setup for the playoffs. I hate that Western teams can never compete for the Cup in the Finals and so on.

I understand where you guys are all coming from but do you guys really want to give up on all the great rivalries we have with san jose, anaheim, chicago, etc? I love being in the west for my own selfish reasons but I would hate to know the best hockey is going on out west and the wings are not a part of it.

I have to admit, part of me would miss some of these mini-rivals. That being said, I have long wanted the Wings in the East. They belong there for numerous reasons. Plus, they'd re-establish rivalries with Toronto, Boston, NYR, Pittsburgh etc. On top of that (for my selfish reasons) I live in Toronto and that would mean I'd get at least two visits by the Wings for games. I hike out the Detroit every year (and would continue to do so) but rekindling that Toronto-Detroit rivalry would be awesome.

I highly doubt we're going to the East. We're the biggest draw on the road in the League. Bettman needs us in the West to fill the building in his bad markets. I'd bet money Columbus is going East before us.

Columbus is farther east than Detroit... :unsure:

We have a deal with the NHL, we have first dibs.

It will come down to a vote by the owners. It is well known that every team in the West will vote no, except the Wings. Every team in the East will vote yes. 16-15 the Wings move East.

:lol: Right on.

Wings in the East would almost guarantee a Stanley Cup Final. The games against Boston, Toronto, and Montreal consistently throughout the year would be just epic as well. Just not sure it could happen as we would be leaving Chicago as the only O6 team left in the West. Not that Uncle Gary gives a s*** about that part of it but just a factor that comes into play somewhere.

I predict a future where Chicago gets moved East as well. It wouldn't be hard to accomplish if you didn't care about Columbus and Nashville being geographic outliers.

Atlanta and the Panthers have to move. I think there are three good American destinations for them.

I think I would miss the west, less travel would be nice but there is something about going on a west coast trip, it always seemed to help bring the team together.

What makes you think a southern road trip, or a Canadian Road trip, wouldn't do that?

in the Western Conference that is.. With strong word that Atlanta may be heading up to the great white north and rumors swirling that Detroit would be the team to head East could this have been our last playoffs in the Western Conference. If so it's a shame not to get payback on the Sharks but it could also mean new rivalries, more original 6 match ups and all you east coasters don't have to complain about the games in the Pacific time zone anymore :lol: . With all that said it's been a pretty sucessful run in the West. Obviously none of this has been confirmed as yet but it's something kinda cool to think about moving into the off season .

Then we could face the Sharks in a Cup Final!

That "deal" with the NHL has been denied repeatedly by NHL officials, including Gary Bettman. But as I'm sitting here thinking about the argument that the Wings sell tickets in failing western markets, couldn't the Wings just help save the Eastern teams the same way? I imagine playing the Wings a lot will help Tampa, Florida, and Atlanta sell a lot more tickets, and those are more high profile cities than, say, Phoenix.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Im curious... when did these rumors start flying around. I knew Atlanta was in question but did something bigger happen recently...?

Phoenix was removed from the equation.

Imagine the owners delight of those bottom 8 or so teams in the east if Detroit moved out east what what we sent Atlanta to Winnipeg so Detroit can further reduce our playoff chances ouch.