• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Berry

Changes in the offseason

Rate this topic

Any guy who massacres the name of the greatest player of all time shouldn't be taken very seriously . Yea blame Holland, 100 pt seasons, 50 win seasons, Stanley Cups...I mean what the f*** is going on around here?

The irony in that post is well....ironic coming from the biggest douch nozzle on these boards !

:siren::siren::siren:

As a general principle, I just want Kenny to get some guys who are hungry for a cup.

I think the Wings showed all the heart, desire and hunger that they had. They did everything they could. Yet, they're not the ones traveling to Vancouver. The challenge is that if you've won a cup before, you're probably don't have as much desire as someone who hasn't. I hope that some news faces would keep things fresh and exciting and inspire the team a little more.

Let me say thank you to the Wings. They did a good job all season long and I'm proud to be a Wings fan!

This offseason we need some changes.

What do you think?

- Lids has to stay for one more season

- Mo, Drapes, Osgood, Salei have to go

- Keep Joey Mac, he was fine for me

- Try to sell Hudler or Filppula, 3 M can be better used (buyout?)

- Re-sign Miller, Eaves, Ericcson

- We have at least 6.5 M left (if the cap doesn't change)... who would you acquire?

I'm too tired and drunk to think about who I'd want to acquire, but as for who should go I mostly agree, though honestly I'd keep Flip. I don't know that he'll have a breakout year like everyone hopes, but he's got a lot of great qualities that fit this team. When he's healthy and physical, he's effective.

But let's bring an end to the Hudler experiment please.

Joey Mac was fine. I could see bringing in some other serviceable backup though too.

I'd re-sign Eaves. Miller I could take or leave. And only on LGW could the #5 D-man take most of the abuse in a series. Ericsson's a serviceable bottom pairing guy and they could probably re-sign him cheap. Then it's just a matter of whether Kindl can stop the brainfarts or if they need to get another bottom pairing veteran D-man (not Lilja) and pay to have Kindl watch from the pressbox. But assuming the top 4 stays, the Wings need size on the blueline.

If Lidstrom retires, all bets are off and I wouldn't be surprised if Holland tries some crazy s*** in the offseason.

Alright folks....for the first order of business, I think we all pretty much agree that McCrimmon's ass should be fired. If theres one thing we've seen over and over again since hes taken over coaching the D, its mental mistakes. And oh boy did we have a ton of those, especially in the first period. What gets the blame for that? Poor coaching. And it isn't Babs fault.

Edited by evilmrt

Alright folks....for the first order of business, I think we all pretty much agree that McClellan's ass should be fired. If theres one thing we've seen over and over again since hes taken over coaching the D, its mental mistakes. And oh boy did we have a ton of those, especially in the first period. What gets the blame for that? Poor coaching. And it isn't Babs fault.

McCrimmon.

Without knowing Lidstrom's decision, the only thing I know is that Hudler needs to be traded and Ericsson let go. I wish Rafalski wasn't making $6M.

It's too tough to think about how to change the team if Nick retires. :(

Hudler needs to go. He’s earning near $3mil and yet you can’t rely on him to score goals, you can’t rely on him to play strong defence; he just doesn’t fit on this team. I like him, and I’ve been one of his biggest fans over the journey, but I’m just not convinced he’s a right fit in Detroit. Send him to any team willing to have him. It’s always disappointing to let go a guy capable of putting up 50 points but he’s never going to gain enough trust by Babcock to make his salary worthwhile.

Draper should retire. He’s $1.5mil comes off the books which is excellent, but I get the feeling he’ll want to hang around for another year, especially if Osgood does too. All reports are that Osgood wants back for another year which makes me nervous that Draper will too. We need to get a little bit younger, here is a start.

Modano obviously won’t be back. That was a major failed experiment, not that I didn’t say that it would happen...

Not fussed about Drew Miller. I wouldn't mind having him back, but only as a 12th/13th forward, and obviously very cheap. I'd be interested to see what Dick Axelsson could bring to the table, he could be a wildcard, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

Filppula needs to play permanently with Datsyuk. They click, it’s that simple. I get that we want to spread out the wealth, and I know that there’s always the temptation of playing Hank with Dats and trying to reunite that chemistry, but I think to maximise Filppula’s potential you make this pairing happen. Plus it’ll bring out the best in Dats knowing he’s got some speed and puck handling skills alongside.

Have to make re-signing Patrick eaves a priority. He was superb all season and IMO was a real unsung hero against San Jose. Ideally something like 2 years, $2.2 million. Eaves is Detroit kind of guy and has a real will to win.

Unfortunately another season of Rafalski, Holmstrom and, to a lesser extent, Bertuzzi, awaits. It’d be awesome to move Rafalski and his massive contract but that won’t happen.

Here’s my ideal line-up next season:

Filppula – Datsyuk – Holmstrom (shudder at Holmstrom, but where else can you put him?)

Bertuzzi – Zetterberg – Franzen

Eaves – Helm – Cleary

Abdelkader – Emmerton - Mursak

I think Helm's ready to centre the 3rd line. Cory Emmerton comes in and plays 4th line centre, well either he or Abdelkader. Mursak would ideally fit on that Eaves and Helm line to create insane speed and energy, but as a rookie he'll probably start on the 4th line.

Draper, Modano, Ericsson and Salei all let go. Trade Hudler for something if we can.

Smith to be on the team full-time next season, try and get a decent bottom 3 defencemen with the money we have freed up.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m) this is it($5.250m)

Alex Tanguay ($1.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.870m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.600m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.000m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,602,878; BONUSES: $210,000

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $797,122

Pipe dreams....i know :P hahaa

Since Franzen signed the big contract he has been a floater and injury prone to much is not deserving his $5.250 next season.

Hudler was a huge disappointment and Ericsson is too.

Holmstrom is terrible. Watching him try to stick handle is funny as hell.

Salei was not interested in game 7 what I saw.

Filppula and Franzen were not great at all these playoffs. 1 or 2 games don't count.

This team needs a right handed centremen.

Ive supported hudler ALL season. When everyone bashed him I still believed in him, but I think he was our worst player in the sharks series. Made several defensive mistakes that could have cost us games. So im finally on board with trading him.

Moving Salei, Ericsson would not break my heart. Ozzie should retire but I thought he said he wanted one more year. Homer and drapes will prob play another year. Unless they force drapes to minors like maltby. Then he may retire.

Hopefully lids take a huge cut, so we can sign a huge stay at home defense men or a lids replacement if there is such a thing.

I would love seeing parise. The guy is a darren helm with a scoring touch. Comes to play every ******* night.

Realistically the only move I see is hudler going, and maybe somehow signing a top forward for a year like they did with hossa. Thats IF lids stays for the cup. I dont see many moves being made. Especially on defense. Babs loves salei. Id be very surprised if any moves were even made.

Im confident in howard. Mac did fine as a backup.

If anything invest in better equipment to limit the injures HA

Ive supported hudler ALL season. When everyone bashed him I still believed in him, but I think he was our worst player in the sharks series. Made several defensive mistakes that could have cost us games. So im finally on board with trading him.

Moving Salei, Ericsson would not break my heart. Ozzie should retire but I thought he said he wanted one more year. Homer and drapes will prob play another year. Unless they force drapes to minors like maltby. Then he may retire.

Hopefully lids take a huge cut, so we can sign a huge stay at home defense men or a lids replacement if there is such a thing.

I would love seeing parise. The guy is a darren helm with a scoring touch. Comes to play every ******* night.

Realistically the only move I see is hudler going, and maybe somehow signing a top forward for a year like they did with hossa. Thats IF lids stays for the cup. I dont see many moves being made. Especially on defense. Babs loves salei. Id be very surprised if any moves were even made.

Im confident in howard. Mac did fine as a backup.

If anything invest in better equipment to limit the injures HA

That's my dream too. Imagine having him in this team? Freaking insane!!

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Alex Tanguay ($1.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.870m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.600m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.000m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,602,878; BONUSES: $210,000

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $797,122

Pipe dreams....i know :P hahaa

That line up wouldnt get us past the 2nd round

Let's push for Tanguay, Frolov or Prospal.

We need a good 2nd line scorer!! Holland make it happen!

All three of those players make Franzen look tough. No thanks.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of Hudler, possibly Ericsson depending what he'd want, draper, miller possibly, ozzie doesnt rly matter because howies the starter anyways....i think much of our line up will stay the same.

Sign Michigan boy Wisniewski and 3rd/4th line center.

You know what, I really like Wiz. He gets bagged a bit for his defence, and yet I saw a lot of him this season (was in my fantasy team) and I saw few signs of him being poor defensively. He had 30 points in 43 games with Montreal, was a +4, and had 16 PPP. I'd love him on the Wings, I really would. :thumbup:

Jan Hejda - $2,000,000

Kent Huskins - $1,700,000

Shane O’Brien - $1,600,000

Steve Montador - $1,550,000

Radek Martinek - $1,500,000

Anton Babchuk - $1,400,000

Karlis Skrastins - $1,375,000

Adam Foote - $1,250,000

John Erskine - $1,250,000

Steve Eminger - $1,125,000

Andrew Alberts - $1,050,000

Brad Lukowich - $1,000,000

Sean O’Donnell - $1,000,000

Jonathan Ericsson - $900,000

Ruslan Salei - $750,000

Andy Greene - $738,000

Jason Strudwick - $725,000

Adam Pardy - $700,000

David Hale - $675,000

Jeff Woywitka - $650,000

Alexander Sulzer - $650,000

Jordan Hendry - $600,000

Peter Harrold - $583,000

Nathan Paetsch - $525,000

Jay Harrison - $500,000

Staffan Kronwall - $500,000

Derek Meech - $500,000

Clay Wilson - $500,000

Rob Davison - $500,000

Jay Leach - $500,000

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010/06/01/2011-unrestricted-nhl-free-agents/

Free agent defensemen for 2011 with a current contract of 2mil and under.

Obviously we're looking for an upgrade for Salei and/or Ericsson.

I know some people here have already mentioned their dreams to acquire Shane O'Brien. Any other preference?

Seems like a lot of people on here want to trade Hudler. Or rather, upgrade Hudler. But how much of a loyalty factor would prevent Kenny from actually doing it?

It depends. It's likely Holland will want to give him an extra season to see what he has in him, but he may also realize the only chips we have to grab an impact winger is to package both together to clear space. It's a move he really should make, but I fear the Wings comeback might make him complacent and forget about all the obvious troubles the team had this year due to roster and defensive coach.

Free agent defensemen for 2011 with a current contract of 2mil and under.

Obviously we're looking for an upgrade for Salei and/or Ericsson.

I know some people here have already mentioned their dreams to acquire Shane O'Brien. Any other preference?

Erskine was a popular choice around here a while ago, wasn't he? I don't recall seeing him play outside of video games, though. Honestly, as long as the 5th or 6th d-man can block shots I don't care, I'm more interested in pulling in a big name to replace Lidstrom, or if he doesn't retire, paying for a solid 3rd or 4th d-man to play under Stuart and Kronwall for insane depth.