• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Berry

Changes in the offseason

Rate this topic

its the experience over rookie factor each year with Kenny. He has stated that they need to make changes and the need to get

grittier is very eviedent. But then he says that the guys have to be able to play and not just add the grit and sandpaper. Well

those players are usually your 1st round drafted guys and they aint gunna come cheap, so as per usuall we'll end up waiting till

the back end of UFA season and maybe pick up a couple of veterans who'll add 'LEADERSHIP' to the team!! Well how about being,

pro-active just for a change Kenny, make something happen. I hear we discussed the possability of adding Zach Bogosian before the

playoffs, well go get him now Kenny, oh wait a minute, he's on $3m+! Then work out a way of adding him, but that might mean letting

one of our vets go eh Ken or tradeing away a top earner. If it makes the team better surely we have to start making some moves.

I dont want any of our guys to go but eventually they have to, Oz,Drapes,Mo and Ruslan is nearly $6m off the cap if we let them walk.

But Kenny will find a way of keeping Oz and Drapes for another year no doubt. Mo's done and Rusty was just a year gap signing.

So once again there wont be any major players coming in cause we like the status quo and the players deserve the option of letting

the front office know when they want to hang them up. I'll be amazed if im proved wrong by Kenny, but i doubt it.

My plans would be this:

I would try and get Doughty and Bogosian in this year even if Nic does come back. Id let Salei and Ericsson go. Kindl would be the 7th

D man again and give Smith another year with GR until Nic and Raffi retire at the end of this season coming. Draper, Modano, Miller and

Osgood I would let go and id try to trade Hudler. Freeing up roughly just over $10m. Secondary scoring and the grit issue, well the two

wingers i would choose from would be Jakub Voracek and Sergei Kostitsyn, Voracek has more size but Kosi has more skills. The grit well

how about Brad Staubitz or Cody McCormick, either one could do a job on the 4th line. The other option is to have one guy do both the

secondary scoring and provide some grit,Anthony Stewart or Brandon Dubinsky. With the comings and goings and the proposed cap going up

these suggestions could be done. The D would be set for 5-10 years after Nic and Raffi are gone and deals could be done with Doughty and

Bogosian that they would get a raise after the first year when Nic and Raffi ease off another $12m when they retire.

Roster next year

Howard MacDonald cap hit $2.9m

Doughty Kronwall cap hit $7.3m

Lidstrom Bogosian cap hit $10.5m

Stuart Rafalski cap hit $9.75m

Kindl cap hit $0.821

Franzen Zetterberg Cleary cap hit $12.8m

Kostitsyn Datsyuk Bertuzzi cap hit $10m

Eaves Filppula Mursak cap hit $4.3m

Abdelkader Helm Staubitz cap hit $2.3m

Holmstrom cap hit $1.875m

Total cap hit $61.1m. is that just under the proposed new cap?

Guest Grayne Wetzky

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Radim Vrbata ($3.750m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Jussi Jokinen ($2.750m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Cam Janssen ($0.800m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / James Wisniewski ($4.250m)

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,583,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $916,289

Adds a pair of wingers who can add more offense to the club in Vrbata and Jokinen. Then you add in Janssen in an enforcer role(or try Rupp from Pittsburgh) and finally add in Wisniewski to pair with Kronwall and put Nick and Raffi on the second line. But, it really doesn't matter because I don't expect Holland to do too much.

21 man roster? I don't think so.

Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Rafalski = Once they're gone, the Wings can do some things. 10 million of WORTHLESSNESS in those 3. Problem is that the Wings can't dump them until next year. So get ready for more heartache.

21 man roster? I don't think so.

Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Rafalski = Once they're gone, the Wings can do some things. 10 million of WORTHLESSNESS in those 3. Problem is that the Wings can't dump them until next year. So get ready for more heartache.

Like I said, I know it is not going to happen. Just seeing what type of players the Wings could pick up but I know they most likely won't.

<snip>

Roster next year

Howard MacDonald cap hit $2.9m

Doughty Kronwall cap hit $7.3m

Lidstrom Bogosian cap hit $10.5m

Stuart Rafalski cap hit $9.75m

Kindl cap hit $0.821

Franzen Zetterberg Cleary cap hit $12.8m

Kostitsyn Datsyuk Bertuzzi cap hit $10m

Eaves Filppula Mursak cap hit $4.3m

Abdelkader Helm Staubitz cap hit $2.3m

Holmstrom cap hit $1.875m

Total cap hit $61.1m. is that just under the proposed new cap?

It's dreaming to think the Wings will be able to lure Doughty away from LA, but if I'm understanding your numbers, you're also saying the Wings will sign him for $4.3 mill??

Doughty is a RFA, so the Kings get to match any offer sheet made to him by another team and there's no way they let him go for that little. Actually there's likely no way Doughty signs for that little unless they sign him until he's 45 to reduce the cap hit. But after Kovalchuk I don't see teams pushing their luck that far.

Guest Heaten

Tiny tweaks is all this team needs. I say re-sign Ericsson and find a replacement for Salei. Maybe let Miller go, re-sign Draper to a cheap two-way contract for leadership depth, and find a solid, universal 3rd liner with some speed, who is good in the face-off circle, and can also handle the 2nd line role if needed to fill in for an injury. Who? I have no fookin clue.

EDIT:

Did I just describe Manny Melhotra?

Edited by Heaten

Tiny tweaks is all this team needs. I say re-sign Ericsson and find a replacement for Salei. Maybe let Miller go, re-sign Draper to a cheap two-way contract for leadership depth, and find a solid, universal 3rd liner with some speed, who is good in the face-off circle, and can also handle the 2nd line role if needed to fill in for an injury. Who? I have no fookin clue.

EDIT:

Did I just describe Manny Melhotra?

Yes, but even though Malhotra WANTED to be here, Holland said no thanks to him at $1.5M and gave it to Jason Williams instead... Yay greatest GM!

Guest Heaten

Yes, but even though Malhotra WANTED to be here, Holland said no thanks to him at $1.5M and gave it to Jason Williams instead... Yay greatest GM!

Manny Malhotra shoots right?

To be fair about Williams, he was coming off an almost 50 point season (and shoots right). If I remember correctly, Holland wanted to find a point shot for the PP. I don't think Malhotra fits the bill.

Nicklas Lidström is, in fact, human. So I guess this means Kenny Holland is human too? What is this world coming too????!!?

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Radim Vrbata ($3.750m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Jussi Jokinen ($2.750m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Cam Janssen ($0.800m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / James Wisniewski ($4.250m)

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,583,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $916,289

Adds a pair of wingers who can add more offense to the club in Vrbata and Jokinen. Then you add in Janssen in an enforcer role(or try Rupp from Pittsburgh) and finally add in Wisniewski to pair with Kronwall and put Nick and Raffi on the second line. But, it really doesn't matter because I don't expect Holland to do too much.

Those are decent adds...except those lines would be terrible. The fourth line is defensively weak and slow and the third line is defensively weak.

Manny Malhotra shoots right?

To be fair about Williams, he was coming off an almost 50 point season (and shoots right). If I remember correctly, Holland wanted to find a point shot for the PP. I don't think Malhotra fits the bill.

Nicklas Lidström is, in fact, human. So I guess this means Kenny Holland is human too? What is this world coming too????!!?

Finally we hear it, Holland is human and makes mistakes and isn't the Stonewall, Ironclad GM he is rumored to be. Malhotra 1,000,000 X better than Williams... Oh well, lets hope Robo-Holland shows up this off season and doesn't make any human mistakes...

Guest Heaten

Finally we hear it, Holland is human and makes mistakes and isn't the Stonewall, Ironclad GM he is rumored to be. Malhotra 1,000,000 X better than Williams... Oh well, lets hope Robo-Holland shows up this off season and doesn't make any human mistakes...

Apparently, Mike Ilitch was using Holland's magic eight ball that day. He should have known that Jason Williams was going to break his leg and be a none factor for the remainder of his time here. DAMN YOU MAGIC EIGHT BALL!!!11

What do you think are the chances that Nick takes a cut in salary and in return has performance bonuses?

Is this also a slap to the face in the way that asking him to take a pay cut would be?

Just asking.

EDIT: Guess that won't be necessary if Rafalski's hit is coming off the books.

Edited by e_prime

According to HF Boards in the Canucks section due to Rafi retiring we are going for Ehrhoff. It's pretty funny reading the thread there. Apparently we are going to offer 6 million to him. lol.

The thread if anyone cares. I was gonna post there and let them know we wouldn't do that but... i'm to lazy to create an account.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=916947

Guest Shoreline

What do you think are the chances that Nick takes a cut in salary and in return has performance bonuses?

Is this also a slap to the face in the way that asking him to take a pay cut would be?

Just asking.

EDIT: Guess that won't be necessary if Rafalski's hit is coming off the books.

The 6 million plus change that he was paid this last season is already a substantial pay cut from 10 million and 7.6 million, given his production has been virtually the same, with only slight diminishing of his skill on the ice. Comparatively, Stevie Y was paid 4 million (up to 6 million with bonuses/incentives) at the last year of his contract, and that was because his role in the team had diminished to basically leadership only. His production had gone significantly downhill from his high paying years, and he was injured quite frequently, which obviously reduced his effectiveness as the on-ice Captain. Nick hasn't missed a single game in the last two seasons and is yet again a finalist for the Norris trophy -- second amongst NHL defensemen in points.

It's extremely hard for me to argue another Nick Lidstrom pay cut. I don't think it would be fair to Nick at all. He's easily worth 10 and some.

Edited by Shoreline

Dear Mr. Holland,

For the love of Probie, please bring Brandon Dubinsky and a gritty faceoff guy to Detroit!

Sincerely,

Bring Back the Bruise Bros

yeah because we faired so well in the playoff then

OK This would be my dream scenario if the Cap is 62.2mill

changes would be to trade Flip to WAS for Green....

Trade Huds to NYI for Nabokov

Let "E" and Salei walk

Sign Laich,Sturm, Ehrhoff, and Wis.

FORWARDS

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

Brooks Laich ($2.800m) / Marco Sturm ($2.500m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

/ Drew Miller ($0.650m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.900m)

Mike Green ($5.250m) / James Wisniewski ($3.650m)

Christian Ehrhoff ($3.500m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

/ Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,578,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $621,289

the numbers might not be EXACT on guys like Sturm (maybe a bit much) But this (to me) looks solid.

I know Wis would want more and Ehrhoff too, But I am also on the premiss that the cap is at 62.2 and not the possible 64.2 I think is the number I heard..But I am not a GM

I understand alot of money wrapped up in Defense believe me I know I did Say DREAM Scenario

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

Mike Green is HORRIBLE defensively. I trust Fil better to play D than him.

Just letting you all know that such a trade would make us a worse team than we were last year.

Here are my steps that I would take.

1. inquire about the cost of a trade for Bogosian in the week of trading before free agency begins.

If you can make a trade using Hudler, Emmerton, and the rights to Ericsson and no other players but whatever picks... Do it. Success chance 10%

2. Failing that you feel out whatever offers there is for Hudler, but do not rush to make a deal.

3. Dawn of free agency you immediately offer Weber a one year offer sheet for the maximum affordable amount for us. If possible make it the maximum cap amount. This forces Nashville to match it and screw up their cap, ensuring that next year Suter and/or Weber will be free agents. If they refuse to match it, Weber comes here and we lose first round picks, which really don't mean that much to us anyways. Our Defense is fixed and no additional moves are necessary on the backend. Success chance 5%

4.Failing that make an offer sheet for Yandle for whatever amount you are willing to pay him. Phoenix will most likely match. Success chance 20%

5. Failing that, go after the following players in this order and do so aggressively

a. Pitkanen Success chance 30%

b. James Wisniewski or Bieksa Success chance 35%/20%

c. Andy Greene Success chance 50%

Make sure you get one of the first three and Andy Greene (provided Ericsson is gone)

Andy Greene is a poor mans Rafalski but without the right handed shot. I think he might be one of the most underrated signings of this offseason.

Also I would be willing to sign all four, if an additional move would be made following those signings.

The idea there would be to have a more deep puck moving core, similar to what Pit did this past season. Less top heavy. Stuart would have to be moved subsequently to make it cap friendly.

6. add one value forward if needed.

7. Get a backup goaltender, I would be fine with Osgood or Larsson myself.

I said to myself a while ago that I would never do one of these, but its just so damn easy. If I were GM, here's what I'd do.

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.850m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Drew Miller ($0.650m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Scott Hannan ($4.750m)

Ed Jovanovski ($3.500m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,233,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): -$33,711

1. Trade or waive Hudler.

2. Sign Brad Richards to a 9 year, $63 mil deal with it front loaded, of course. I figure a team like the Rangers will offer him $8 mil. Is playing for a contender worth a $1 mil a year? If you want to be successful, its a good idea to be strong down the middle. We COULD have Datsyuk and Z on separate lines, but then we have a need at wing. Richards can also help make up for the loss of Rafalski at the point on the PP.

3. Scott Hannan, a physical defenseman who blocks shots and can really help on the PK.

4. Ed Jovanovski, another physical defenseman with decent puck moving skills. As long as he's not logging a ton of ice time, he'll be effective for us.

5. JS Giguere, he hasn't been on top of his game for the past few years, but I think he'd be a great back up for Howard and would really play well behind this defense. Should be cheap considering his recent decline in numbers.

Edited by xtrememachine1

Guest stinky fish taco

so the solution is scott hannan and ed jovanovski for over 8million combined?

seriously?

/Brad Richards ($7.000m)

Scott Hannan ($4.750m)

Ed Jovanovski ($3.500m)

Jean-Sebastien Giguere ($1.000m)

No offense, but I wouldn't pay any of these guys these contracts. Richards is pass first and left-handed shot and we need the 2 other things. Shoot first right-handed shot. I don't understand how Scott Hannan is a damn near 5 million dollar defenseman and can't see Kenny giving him a fat deal such as this, it's just unjustifiable. Jovo is on the downspin of his career and would bring nothing we would need to the blue line whatsoever. He looked absolutely awful in the playoffs and got torched more often than not. I'd even go far enough to say I want Ericsson more than him at this point dry.gif Giggy, just never liked him and also see 1 mill being a bit too cheap for him. Just my thoughts.