• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Berry

Changes in the offseason

Rate this topic

I don't know.... seems like an overpayment for Ovechkin, I would say Miller, the rights to Draper, and a 7th would be a much better deal for both sides.

Yeah, your right. That would be much a much better deal.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Let's see, Hudler and Fil combined for 26 goals, 76 points and a -8 while Semin had 28 goals, 54 points and +22 and he had an off year(for him). Then you talk about Green, Kindl and a 1st? So we give up a young guy who points up 4 points and get one of the best young offensive defeseman in the NHL despite having a bad year as well.. And while your at it how about we throw in Miller and Eaves to get Ovechkin too.

Now the only player I would miss would be Fil but that trade is so lopsided it is crazy in my opinion.

It likely would not happen. That being said, we don't know how badly the Caps want to keep Semin and Green. The Caps have disappointed in the playoffs and they may want to change things up. It doesn't hurt to ask. That's how Burke fleeced the Flames in the Phaneuf trade. Burke kept asking and eventually Sutter made the deal. Your last two sentences are just immaturity on your part.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

The more youtube clips i watch of this guy the more i can't believe he's available. sure hes having a rough patch (and not that great for d), but seriously, can we please bring him in for under 3 mill? holy **** hes got dangles. Id love to see him with dats. i'd ask anyone who thinks hes not worth a try to watch his highlights on youtube. they are some special goals.

I hope to god that Holland doesn't choose his players based on fan-made YouTube reels, sheesh.

Zherdev has been known as one of the laziest players in the league for a long time, which is why no team has ever wanted to keep him around.

There are literally hundreds of players on YouTube who have highlight videos, it is by no means an indication of their overall game or what they would bring to a team.

Please, please, no.

It likely would not happen. That being said, we don't know how badly the Caps want to keep Semin and Green. The Caps have disappointed in the playoffs and they may want to change things up. It doesn't hurt to ask. That's how Burke fleeced the Flames in the Phaneuf trade. Burke kept asking and eventually Sutter made the deal. Your last two sentences are just immaturity on your part.

I would assume the Caps would want to keep their best defenseman and second best forward and I doubt they would give him away for an average player, two below average players and a 1st. And comparing the George McPhee to one of the below average GM's in Burke and a fired one in Sutter is silly.

If you had sad something like Cleary or Franzen, Kronwall and a 1st then I could see that making more sense. And yes the Eaves/Miller for Ovechkin may have been immature but I was trying to make a point that it wouldn't be fair in the slightest for the Capitals.

Edited by MGreenberg

Guest Hatethedrake!

I would assume the Caps would want to keep their best defenseman and second best forward and I doubt they would give him away for an average player, two below average players and a 1st. And comparing the George McPhee to one of the below average GM's in Burke and a fired one in Sutter is silly.

If you had sad something like Cleary or Franzen, Kronwall and a 1st then I could see that making more sense. And yes the Eaves/Miller for Ovechkin may have been immature but I was trying to make a point that it wouldn't be fair in the slightest for the Capitals.

Mike Green is not the Caps best dman. At best he is their 3rd best. Alzner and Carlson are their shutdown pair and are counted on heavily. Green's main asset is his offense on the PP and that slipped last season. He had trouble staying healthy. Semin's game is also offense but he has a history of not showing up in the playoffs. I would call Hudler below average but Filppula is not. He's solid in all 3 zones and his only problem is he does not provide the offense given his 3 mil a year salary. Kindl is unproven but if the Caps dealt Green they would want a dman coming back. It depends on exactly what Kindl's value is. George McPhee has won the same number of Cups as Darryl Sutter has as a GM. 0. So I am not sure where you are getting 'silly' from. Their recent track records would suggest that McPhee is still very solid while Sutter lost his marbles. However, as Babs says 'until you've won the Cup, you haven't won the Cup.' Burke, though a blowhard, has won a Cup. McPhee has not.

Franzen or Cleary, Kronwall and a 1st is a pointless trade. Why? Because the goal is for the Wings to get better. Not make a lateral move and make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. I'd sooner keep those players because I view them as core players as does Holland I assume.

The original proposed trade is most likely not fair for the Caps. However I do not rate Semin and Green as highly as you do which is why I think they could both be had in a trade. Maybe the Red Wings are not the ideal trade partner but their may be a team out there who is.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Mike Green is not the Caps best dman. At best he is their 3rd best. Alzner and Carlson are their shutdown pair and are counted on heavily. Green's main asset is his offense on the PP and that slipped last season. He had trouble staying healthy. Semin's game is also offense but he has a history of not showing up in the playoffs. I would call Hudler below average but Filppula is not. He's solid in all 3 zones and his only problem is he does not provide the offense given his 3 mil a year salary. Kindl is unproven but if the Caps dealt Green they would want a dman coming back. It depends on exactly what Kindl's value is. George McPhee has won the same number of Cups as Darryl Sutter has as a GM. 0. So I am not sure where you are getting 'silly' from. Their recent track records would suggest that McPhee is still very solid while Sutter lost his marbles. However, as Babs says 'until you've won the Cup, you haven't won the Cup.' Burke, though a blowhard, has won a Cup. McPhee has not.

Franzen or Cleary, Kronwall and a 1st is a pointless trade. Why? Because the goal is for the Wings to get better. Not make a lateral move and make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. I'd sooner keep those players because I view them as core players as does Holland I assume.

The original proposed trade is most likely not fair for the Caps. However I do not rate Semin and Green as highly as you do which is why I think they could both be had in a trade. Maybe the Red Wings are not the ideal trade partner but their may be a team out there who is.

The thing is, I never even said I would want Green or Semin on the Wings and when I said one above average player I was referring to Filppula. But I am going to drop it here, my point from the start is that I don't think the Caps would take the trade you originally put out there and even if Holland kept asking the Caps about it, it would not happen. I think that the Wings could get plenty of decent talent without any trades which could be seen by my few posts in this thread, players like Jokinen, Vrbata, Laich, Wisniewski, etc who are all UFA's.

Sorry if it's already mentioned,but what about Tomaš Fleischmann?He might be the top 6 forward Babcock's looking for.After all he was drafted by the Wings.

Dunno about Zherdev.He can play no doubt and I'm curious about him on Pasha's wing,but must be something wrong about him beside he's lazy and sucks :hehe: when nobody didn't pick him when he was waived by Flyers

Guest Hatethedrake!

Sorry if it's already mentioned,but what about Tomaš Fleischmann?He might be the top 6 forward Babcock's looking for.After all he was drafted by the Wings.

Dunno about Zherdev.He can play no doubt and I'm curious about him on Pasha's wing,but must be something wrong about him beside he's lazy and sucks :hehe: when nobody didn't pick him when he was waived by Flyers

Fleischmann would be ideal however the only question is his health. As for Zherdev, no thanks.

Actually I would say Flip is very average, hes in the middle of the pack in the area of '2nd/3rd line centers'. Depth wise hes our third line center, but for it hes got a lot of offensive upside. For 3 million a year I wouldn't trade him unless its part of a package for that the wings were a clear winner of. I know most people see me as a Flip hater, but I like him a lot, its just realistically I see him as the most likely target of any trade because he has a lot of assets teams would want in a defensive center.

Mike Green is not the Caps best dman. At best he is their 3rd best.

You lost me here.

Green was injured for a good part of this season. If he played a full season and healthy he would have finished with the highest +/- and points of all their DMen...again.

I know he is only average at defense, but the dude still finished top 50 of Dmen this season in points shared, and he was injured for almost half the season. Lidstrom finished top 10, which is expected, and one would have to assume if he had played with Rafalski and was given some free reign he would have finished top 3 in that stat.

PS Besides this season, the three highest PS (points shared) for the previous three seasons are:

Lidstrom 07-08: 14.4

Green 08-09: 13.9

Green 09-10: 13

So one injury plagued season places Green at the third best on his team? Lolz.

Edited by Konnan511

Guest Hatethedrake!

You lost me here.

Green was injured for a good part of this season. If he played a full season and healthy he would have finished with the highest +/- and points of all their DMen...again.

I know he is only average at defense, but the dude still finished top 50 of Dmen this season in points shared, and he was injured for almost half the season. Lidstrom finished top 10, which is expected, and one would have to assume if he had played with Rafalski and was given some free reign he would have finished top 3 in that stat.

PS Besides this season, the three highest PS (points shared) for the previous three seasons are:

Lidstrom 07-08: 14.4

Green 08-09: 13.9

Green 09-10: 13

So one injury plagued season places Green at the third best on his team? Lolz.

You will have to convince the Caps GM and head coach that Carlson and Alzner are not the top 2 dmen on the team. I will take their words over yours. Your response does indeed get a LOLz out of me. LOLZ. :lol:

You will have to convince the Caps GM and head coach that Carlson and Alzner are not the top 2 dmen on the team. I will take their words over yours. Your response does indeed get a LOLz out of me. LOLZ. :lol:

Your LOLzing someone else in the very same thread where you suggested Hudler, Flip, Kindl, 1st rounder for Semin and Green?

Honestly, not trying to be a jerk here, but that is seriously one of the dumbest trade proposals I've ever read. I honestly thought it was a joke at first until you kept explaining it.

Btw, Green is absolutely their number 1 dman. Just because he was injured for half the season does not change his importance to that team.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Your LOLzing someone else in the very same thread where you suggested Hudler, Flip, Kindl, 1st rounder for Semin and Green?

Honestly, not trying to be a jerk here, but that is seriously one of the dumbest trade proposals I've ever read. I honestly thought it was a joke at first until you kept explaining it.

Btw, Green is absolutely their number 1 dman. Just because he was injured for half the season does not change his importance to that team.

Honestly, as I said in my last post...I"ll take the Caps head coach and GM's word over anyone here. Just because you say Green is absolutely their number 1 dman does not make it so. I mean what would Boudreau and McPhee know right? I think your response is dumber than my response. :lol:

Edited by Hatethedrake!

I realize that the odds of this happening are lightyears beyond possible. just looking for input on the idea, which players from this list you would keep and which players would fit in on the wings.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Alex Tanguay ($1.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.750m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

/ / Drew Miller ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)

Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($1.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,358,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,041,289

Guest Hatethedrake!

I realize that the odds of this happening are lightyears beyond possible. just looking for input on the idea, which players from this list you would keep and which players would fit in on the wings.

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Alex Tanguay ($1.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.750m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m)

/ / Drew Miller ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($3.250m)

Zbynek Michalek ($4.000m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,358,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,041,289

My one wish for this summer is for Hudler to be gone. However he reminds me Rasputin. No matter how much you want him gone, he never leaves. Hudler is just like my mother in law when she comes for a visit. She SAYS she will only be here for 2 days at the most but then it turns into 2 weeks. Hudler is like that little turd in the toilet that will never flush and go away. Even when he leaves the league for a year he comes back. Ok enough of that...

I've never liked Tanguay for some reason. Maybe it's because he was an Av years ago. I think if he is smart he will stay in Calgary. Playing with Iginla afford him alot of space on the ice. I like Wisniewski's game alot and would sign him for sure. Right handed shot, local boy, plays with an edge and sees the ice very well and can put up 40-50 points. However I do not think he is worth 5 mil a season. 4-4.5 would be ideal for him but since he is 27-28 years old he will likely be overpaid as a UFA. I see him as a 3-4 guy more than a 1-2 guy. Michalek is good but I don't see the Pens moving him. They just signed him last summer. I see Osgood retiring. When I hear a player needs to think about whether he wants to play or not, to me he is already retired. Plus we need a back-up who actually plays. The exception to this is Lidstrom of course, who even though he needs time to think about still playing...My gut tells me he has already made up his mind he just wants to make sure. He will be back.

Babs says we need a top 6 forward and I agree. Holmstrom and Bertuzzi are not top 6 forwards anymore. We need a guy who can take some pressure off Dats, Z and Mule. Especially with Mule being injury prone. Plus is always seems like Dats and Z are always playing with an injury of some sort. Your line-up is not bad but to be better than San Jose and Vancouver for that matter, we need more talent up front. Hudler needs to be gone ASAP. Mursak has to be on this team next season with his speed.

Edited by Hatethedrake!

Stop mentioning Zherdev!lgw like to sign or trade for players who play excellent two way games while working hard.

fixed :lol:

I'll take Fleischmann or Jokinen any day over him,but Ken brought back Jason Williams not so long ago so wouldn't be shocked with Zherdev in the Wings sweater :ph34r:

fixed :lol:

I'll take Fleischmann or Jokinen any day over him,but Ken brought back Jason Williams not so long ago so wouldn't be shocked with Zherdev in the Wings sweater :ph34r:

Except JWill knew our system and was a right handed shot and was coming off 83 points in 123 games in his years between leaving the Wings and coming back. Jokinen wouldn't be a bad fit, but he's not going to accept less money than he'll get from all the other teams during FA. He just hit his prime and he's coming off back to back seasons of 65 and 52 points, there's no way he takes less than 3.5mil on the open market. If the Wings could land him for 3.5 mil a season, then do it, but he's going to get in excess of 4-5mil on the open market.

Quick facts about FA that LGW posters seem oblivious to:

Discounts:

Players like Richards are willing to take a discount to play for a better team, but hes looking at 7-8 million depending on the team he signs for, hes not going to take a 20% pay cut to play for Detroit, sorry. Do I think Holland gives him a call? Sure, if only to drive his price up for other teams, but I dont see him coming to Detroit, and if he does, no way for less than 7 a year.

RFA:

Holland doesn't poach players, and players like Weber and Doughty are not the type teams walk away from even for multiple high picks, if the wings get them it'll mean players, prospects and picks going back to the respective trading partners. Personally again if I were Holland after the statement by Nashville management that they would match any offer given to Weber would offer him something outrageous so that Sutter could become in option in 2012, but Nashville won't let Weber go.

Grit:

Yes the wings need some, but come on guys, fighting and grit aren't always the same thing, and don't disguise your want for an enforcer by playing at the wings need for energy guys who are willing to go to the dirty parts of the ice or clear the front of the net.

Flavor of the months:

If the Wings don't pick up Wiz/konopka/etc and he has a bad season, I will bet everyone who wanted him will be deriding him next season, just saying.

Here's a scenario:

Let's say the Cap goes up to about $63.5M. That'll give Holland $22.6M before he signs anyone. Let's say he trade Hudler at the draft for some more pick(s), that then makes the Cap total available $24.5M. We all have our "Wish List" and most of us know that that's all it will be is a wish list, so considering the fact that they were a very good team (offensively anyhow) in the regular season, would anyone be that upset if Holland remained 'Status Quo' and just re-signed his own UFA's? Of course excluding Draper, Modano & Salei and just allowing the younger guys to come up and play. I know the general consensus is that Smith will/should spend another season in the Griffins line-up, but what if Holland just sign's Ericcson, Smith would be getting good ice time/experience up here anyway.

Anyhow, icing a similar team next season would kill two birds, it'll allow for plenty of room for a HUGE trade-line acquisition (if needed,) especially if there are some non-playoff teams with an upcoming UFA that is looking to dump him knowing they are going to lose him anyway. (ex. if Nashville is way out of it, they could do this with Suter if they feel they can't sign him anyhow.) It also saves a large amount of cap space for July 1st, 2012 which promises to have a better crop of UFA's available... Now, I am a huge Wisniewski advocate and would love to see him here, and in reality, even in this scenario they could throw $4M at him for a season and still have a lot left over for the deadline.. (which is what I am hoping. (of course you can put your Wish List d-man in place of mine.))

Anyhow, let's see how it looks with some Capgeek numbers... (please don't neg me if you don't agree, just voice your opinion, thanks!)

FORWARDS

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.100m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Drew Miller ($0.950m)

/ Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($2.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.750m)

SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $51,704,544; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $11,795,456

...I realize that is a very lean defensive corps, and like I said, Holland could always sign one D-Man to fill the top 6 and keep Smith in Grand Rapids. Also, I just gave some modest raises to the UFA's with the exception of Ericsson, giving consideration to the rumor he turned down $2M... I for one, hope that Holland at least adds ONE d-man from outside the organization, but I believe, up front, that this lineup cannot hurt the Wings considering all they are losing is Hudler's offense(orlack there of,) and that isn't much of a loss. But as you can see it leaves plenty of cap space for March or July...

Here's a scenario:

Let's say the Cap goes up to about $63.5M. That'll give Holland $22.6M before he signs anyone. Let's say he trade Hudler at the draft for some more pick(s), that then makes the Cap total available $24.5M. We all have our "Wish List" and most of us know that that's all it will be is a wish list, so considering the fact that they were a very good team (offensively anyhow) in the regular season, would anyone be that upset if Holland remained 'Status Quo' and just re-signed his own UFA's? Of course excluding Draper, Modano & Salei and just allowing the younger guys to come up and play. I know the general consensus is that Smith will/should spend another season in the Griffins line-up, but what if Holland just sign's Ericcson, Smith would be getting good ice time/experience up here anyway.

Anyhow, icing a similar team next season would kill two birds, it'll allow for plenty of room for a HUGE trade-line acquisition (if needed,) especially if there are some non-playoff teams with an upcoming UFA that is looking to dump him knowing they are going to lose him anyway. (ex. if Nashville is way out of it, they could do this with Suter if they feel they can't sign him anyhow.) It also saves a large amount of cap space for July 1st, 2012 which promises to have a better crop of UFA's available... Now, I am a huge Wisniewski advocate and would love to see him here, and in reality, even in this scenario they could throw $4M at him for a season and still have a lot left over for the deadline.. (which is what I am hoping. (of course you can put your Wish List d-man in place of mine.))

Anyhow, let's see how it looks with some Capgeek numbers... (please don't neg me if you don't agree, just voice your opinion, thanks!)

FORWARDS

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.100m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Drew Miller ($0.950m)

/ Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($2.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.750m)

SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $51,704,544; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $11,795,456

...I realize that is a very lean defensive corps, and like I said, Holland could always sign one D-Man to fill the top 6 and keep Smith in Grand Rapids. Also, I just gave some modest raises to the UFA's with the exception of Ericsson, giving consideration to the rumor he turned down $2M... I for one, hope that Holland at least adds ONE d-man from outside the organization, but I believe, up front, that this lineup cannot hurt the Wings considering all they are losing is Hudler's offense(orlack there of,) and that isn't much of a loss. But as you can see it leaves plenty of cap space for March or July...

No way this roster makes the playoffs.

No way this roster makes the playoffs.

I don't see why not. Up front you really only lose Hudler, and I don't think Mursak can do any worse than Hudler did, and really, with Modano's injury I don't see Emmerton hurting us either. I do acknowledge the D is pretty green, but like I said, if you wanna add Wisniewski instead of promoting Smith, then that would cretainly be an upgrade, espeially if Wiz scores 50 plus points again, but other than that, this team should make the playoffs easily, win their division maybe, conference probably not, but come January/February Holland has $11M to acquire some high-end talent to help in the playoffs...

Which part would you change? Maybe Emmerton or Ericsson...I am not sure, but I would hate for Holland to blow his "cap load" on UFA's outside the organization and not have the team gel. At least we know (with the exception of Emmerton) that this team can pay well together, well enough to make the playoffs in my opinion...

That being said, I do maintain that it would be nice to acquire Jokinen up front, re-sign Lids/Miller/Eaves and sign Wiz and Pitkanen. Back-up goalie is a toss up, I just threw MacDonald in there, but as long as it's a back-up for less than $1M, because Howard will probably get 60-65 starts, and who wants to pay a goalie over a million to start less than 20 games?

I don't see why not. Up front you really only lose Hudler, and I don't think Mursak can do any worse than Hudler did, and really, with Modano's injury I don't see Emmerton hurting us either. I do acknowledge the D is pretty green, but like I said, if you wanna add Wisniewski instead of promoting Smith, then that would cretainly be an upgrade, espeially if Wiz scores 50 plus points again, but other than that, this team should make the playoffs easily, win their division maybe, conference probably not, but come January/February Holland has $11M to acquire some high-end talent to help in the playoffs...

Which part would you change? Maybe Emmerton or Ericsson...I am not sure, but I would hate for Holland to blow his "cap load" on UFA's outside the organization and not have the team gel. At least we know (with the exception of Emmerton) that this team can pay well together, well enough to make the playoffs in my opinion...

That being said, I do maintain that it would be nice to acquire Jokinen up front, re-sign Lids/Miller/Eaves and sign Wiz and Pitkanen. Back-up goalie is a toss up, I just threw MacDonald in there, but as long as it's a back-up for less than $1M, because Howard will probably get 60-65 starts, and who wants to pay a goalie over a million to start less than 20 games?

I totally agree. The Wings would easily make the play-offs with the roster above. Rafalski was a liability for most of the season. He's slow, pinched way to often, and gave up way too many odd-man rushes. Replacing him with almost anyone in the system would be a positive step forward. Brad Stuart could replace him on the powerplay. The Wings spend way too much money on a team of mediocre defense-men. The Wings were awful defensively 80% of the season. Why spend 1/3 of the cap on defense if the defense sucks? If the Wings can't get one of the UFA Canuck defense men, they should hang onto the cap money, and spend it on a forward (5 million/yr). Wings need another top 6 forward. The defense will sort itself out, we spend enough on D.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I think this line-up would make the playoffs however I don't think it would get very far. I like your idea of keeping Cap space for next summer where both Weber and Suter may be available as UFAs. Ideally, Weber would be the perfect player to replace Nick when he retires. If Weber signs a long term deal with Nashville then it will be harder for them to lock up Suter. If he is available on July 1st, 2012 then the Wings would be in a great position to sign him with Nick coming off the books. If the Preds can manage to keep both Weber and Suter (which I think they will) then Kenny would have to explore other options. Maybe Yandle is a UFA by then.

I just can't see the Wings going with a bottom D pairing of Kindl and Smith for this season. They would likely have to spread it out more. Nick, Kronwall and Stuart would have to be split up. With Ericsson, Kindl and Smith playing with 1 of them. Janik as the #7 guy does not excite me. A vet dman in the Salei mold would likely be signed.

My favourite part of your post is Hudler being gone. I just can't see Kenny being inactive on July 1st where this will most likely be Nick's last season. This doesn't mean he going to be stupid and throw gobs of cash at the wrong players. Just that staying the same doesn't seem to be what Kenny has been saying since the Wings were eliminated.

I totally agree. The Wings would easily make the play-offs with the roster above. Rafalski was a liability for most of the season. He's slow, pinched way to often, and gave up way too many odd-man rushes. Replacing him with almost anyone in the system would be a positive step forward. Brad Stuart could replace him on the powerplay. The Wings spend way too much money on a team of mediocre defense-men. The Wings were awful defensively 80% of the season. Why spend 1/3 of the cap on defense if the defense sucks? If the Wings can't get one of the UFA Canuck defense men, they should hang onto the cap money, and spend it on a forward (5 million/yr). Wings need another top 6 forward. The defense will sort itself out, we spend enough on D.

do we really NEED a top 6 forward? I do not know exactly where the Wings finished in offensive numbers last season but losing Hudler and Modano and replacing them with Mursak and Emmerton (along with gving full time jobs to Miller and Eaves) shouldn't really affect their offensinve productoin considering the top 6 wold pretty much be entact from last year...

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Filppula, Bertuzzi, Cleary & Holmstrom...basically....