• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Berry

Changes in the offseason

Rate this topic

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,145,456

This also leaves some good cap space for re-signing our assets next year as well as any trade deadline moves...

It's always nice to have that cap space, but for a contender like us it's just wasting potential. I mean 4mill is kinda much, even if you have so re-signing to do the next off-season.

It's always nice to have that cap space, but for a contender like us it's just wasting potential. I mean 4mill is kinda much, even if you have so re-signing to do the next off-season.

look at that roster though - where else would you want to spend the money? that'd be a damn solid and balanced lineup, top to bottom.... unless one of Hudler or Fil are traded and a higher priced top 6 forward is brought in, I just don't see the sense in spending just to spend with what's available out there...

Edited by stevkrause

look at that roster though - where else would you want to spend the money? that'd be a damn solid and balanced lineup, top to bottom....

Agreed.

unless one of Hudler or Fil are [is] traded and a higher priced top 6 forward is brought in

This. Hudler's 2.875 plus and additional 1.5 - 2 million invested a true scoring winger would be sweet.

...and there would still be money left for re-signing and at the trade deadline.

Agreed.

This. Hudler's 2.875 plus and additional 1.5 - 2 million invested a true scoring winger would be sweet.

...and there would still be money left for re-signing and at the trade deadline.

I'd be good with that as well, I just try not to factor trades into the equation too often, as they're really hard to guess with how many variables come into play...

Also, the market for FA wingers is pretty weak this year, so unless they trade for the rights to a RFA winger and then sign him, or trade outright for a winger in a package, I don't really see a lot of options out there to fill this role... but if they could land it, oh man...

Guest Crymson

My perfect off-season (not that I think this is what the roster WILL look like, but this is what I am hoping for right now) for what we need, cost, etc, would be:

**LINES ARE JUST SUBJECTIVE AND ARE JUST FOR FORMATTING PURPOSE**

FORWARDS

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Cody McCormick ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.300m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Steve Montador ($1.750m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m)

Ty Conklin ($0.900m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,054,544; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,145,456

This also leaves some good cap space for re-signing our assets next year as well as any trade deadline moves...

lol. I've seen several people suggest Conklin so far. Those here should note that his most recent season was a bloody disaster. He played in 25 games and had a save percentage of less than .900.

lol. I've seen several people suggest Conklin so far. Those here should note that his most recent season was a bloody disaster. He played in 25 games and had a save percentage of less than .900.

True, true. Also to be noted though, those games were played with the St. Louis Blues. :ph34r:

Just wondering... Who's your backup of choice Crymson?

lolz, roflcopter - Those looking at his past season should note that the defense in front of him was a bloody disaster.

He'd be a backup, making a minimal salary (could probably be had for even less than I suggested) and he knows our system and a lot of the players... goaltenders are very funny breeds and their surroundings and mental state GREATLY affects their play on the ice and from the looks of things in St. Louis this past season, they didn't have a good thing going on, or off the ice... furthermore, it'd most likely only be a 1 or 2 year deal anyway...

Guest stinky fish taco

i hope we can all apply this logic when it comes to bringing osgood back.

thanks for everything, ozzie. don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

True, true. Also to be noted though, those games were played with the St. Louis Blues. :ph34r:

The Blues weren't that bad of a team. They had a positive goal differential and finished with 5 more wins than regulation loses. Conklin had a bad season, but it could just have been a down year for him.

The Blues weren't that bad of a team. They had a positive goal differential and finished with 5 more wins than regulation loses. Conklin had a bad season, but it could just have been a down year for him.

That doesn't always equate to a good team in front of him... their defense was horrible...

7 defenders with a 0 or better +/- vs 4 defenders with a negative +/-. They weren't bad defensively. +/- overall of their defensemen: +11

Plus I never said they were good, I just said they aren't as bad as some people were making them out to be.

Edited by Konnan511

7 defenders with a 0 or better +/- vs 4 defenders with a negative +/-. They weren't bad defensively. +/- overall of their defensemen: +11

Plus I never said they were good, I just said they aren't as bad as some people were making them out to be.

Fair enough - I just think that those numbers were helped out with their pretty good scoring up front and also, I think it's a bad sign that they even rolled 11 dmen, that's a lot of inconsistency on the back end...

Anyways, I think we're splitting hairs here, I think we both agree that even if it was 100% on Conklin, that was one down year for a guy who has been an otherwise solid backup and at his caphit he would most likely garner, he'd be a good choice here for the backup role

Fair enough - I just think that those numbers were helped out with their pretty good scoring up front and also, I think it's a bad sign that they even rolled 11 dmen, that's a lot of inconsistency on the back end...

Anyways, I think we're splitting hairs here, I think we both agree that even if it was 100% on Conklin, that was one down year for a guy who has been an otherwise solid backup and at his caphit he would most likely garner, he'd be a good choice here for the backup role

That's exactly what i said in my first post you quoted ;) I said he could have just been having a down year since goalies and their numbers are fairly volatile.

I wasn't trying to make them out to be horrible, really just wanted to take a shot at St. Louis.

All these numbers aside, they did finish 10 points out of the playoffs.

I agree with that assessment. He played in only one more game than the previous season and had 2.48 GAA .921 SV%

That's exactly what i said in my first post you quoted ;) I said he could have just been having a down year since goalies and their numbers are fairly volatile.

Well look at that. People in agreement. People having quality discussion. Whodathunkit? ;)

Looking around the league at the FA class of goalies the only others out there that spark my interest as a back-up are Theodore and Boucher. Each had 29 starts: 15/11/3 - 2.71/.916 // 18/10/4 - 2.42/.916 (respectively)

I think both of them can probably land a slightly higher price tag than I'd be willing to shell out though...

Edited by e_prime

Wait, so what you're getting at here is that he could have just been having a down year?

on the other hand, I think he could have just been having a down year...

:hehe:

Wait, so what you're getting at here is that he could have just been having a down year?

on the other hand, I think he could have just been having a down year...

You're misunderstanding me. What I'm saying is, is that his year could have just been a negative fluctuation in regards to his play.

Looking around the league at the FA class of goalies the only others out there that spark my interest as a back-up are Theodore and Boucher. Each had 29 starts: 15/11/3 - 2.71/.916 // 18/10/4 - 2.42/.916 (respectively)

I think both of them can probably land a slightly higher price tag than I'd be willing to shell out though...

I'd be good with Theodore as well, Boucher seems a little volatile with his ups and downs and I'm not sure how much of a steadying force that'd be, but with that said, I wouldn't be opposed to him either, given the price tag was right... otherwise, short of a trade for a backup, there's not a lot out there in my mind...

You're misunderstanding me. What I'm saying is, is that his year could have just been a negative fluctuation in regards to his play.

ohhhh, I get it now, you're saying that his performance as a NHL goaltender last year could just have been an anomaly and does not reflect the constant

Guest Crymson

Chriminik Oshek.

I. Am. So. Confused.

Steven Wright: I finally got around to reading the dictionary. Turns out the zebra did it.

[the entire audience, except Homer, laughs]

Homer Simpson: I don't get it.

Lisa Simpson: Dad, the zebra didn't do it, it's just a word at the end of the dictionary.

Homer Simpson: I still don't get it.

Lisa Simpson: It's just a joke.

Homer Simpson: Oh, I get it! I get jokes!

:ph34r:

ohhhh, I get it now, you're saying that his performance as a NHL goaltender last year could just have been an anomaly and does not reflect the constant

I'm starting to think you don't even watch hockey.His play last season was not indicative of the skillset that he usually brings to the table and the lackluster numbers tend to reflect the negative play that he had during an off year.

Chriminik Oshek.

Is he a mixture of Christ and Hasek? Or amixture of Crymson and Hasek? Or are they one in the same...:blink:

Steven Wright: I finally got around to reading the dictionary. Turns out the zebra did it.

[the entire audience, except Homer, laughs]

Homer Simpson: I don't get it.

Lisa Simpson: Dad, the zebra didn't do it, it's just a word at the end of the dictionary.

Homer Simpson: I still don't get it.

Lisa Simpson: It's just a joke.

Homer Simpson: Oh, I get it! I get jokes!

:ph34r:

I'm starting to think you don't even watch hockey.His play last season was not indicative of the skillset that he usually brings to the table and the lackluster numbers tend to reflect the negative play that he had during an off year.

Is he a mixture of Christ and Hasek? Or amixture of Crymson and Hasek? Or are they one in the same...:blink:

Well now, we disagree, because I'm saying that his stats would indicate that he had a down year, whereas you're stating very clearly that he had a down year and thus his stats were affected...

Also, you post-plagarizing son of a b!!

Edited by stevkrause

Deal Filppula, Kindl, 24th pick, 5th round, 2nd 2012, performance based pick to Philly for Carter, Carle. Trade Hudler for cap space and a pick in return.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.900m)

Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Kris Draper ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.800m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Christian Ehrhoff ($4.500m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Josh Harding ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,610,605; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $789,395

Deal Filppula, Kindl, 24th pick, 5th round, 2nd 2012, performance based pick to Philly for Carter, Carle. Trade Hudler for cap space and a pick in return.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.900m)

Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Kris Draper ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / James Wisniewski ($4.500m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.800m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Christian Ehrhoff ($4.500m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Josh Harding ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,610,605; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $789,395

No ones going to eat Hudlers contract, let alone give the Wings a pick in return. Any trade for Hudler will include almost a dollar for dollar swap.