• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Berry

Changes in the offseason

Rate this topic

I don't really think Gagne would be available. 40+ point player when healthy and has 12 points in the playoffs, so I see him being locked up by Yzerman whether Tampa makes the cup finals or not but I could be wrong.

Edited by MGreenberg

If I were Holland, I would sign Jovanovski to a 1 year deal around 5.5 million. I would then go out and sign Wisniewski for 2 years at around 3.75-4 million per year. Wiz may be an easy sell as we are contenders and we are conveniently located where he grew up.

I would then shore up my forwards by re-signing Eaves on a multi-year contract for around 1 million per, signing Maxime Talbot or someone similar to him for 3 years at 1.25 million, and possibly re-signing Miller on a multi-year 750k deal as our 13th forward.

I would attempt to trade Hudler if possible, and plug in Mursak in his place.

As for goaltending, I would see how cheap I could get Nabokov back from the Isles for (remember he's making a league minimum contract for one season so that would be ideal - and you know he wants to play here). Otherwise I would sign either Hedberg, Conklin, or Theodore to a 2 year 1 million per contract.

Done and done.

Oh and bring in Boughner for our D coach. If MacLean moves on, bring in Gretzky for our O coach (just a little bit of fun - not serious!)

No thanks to Gagne. He is a bag of milk who, at that salary, isn't worth the fact he won't be out there for more than 60 games and the fact his time has kind of run out on being effective. I liked his game a little while back but not anymore, I believe we have the forward depth that we need anyway. DEFENSE, folks.

Edited by HankthaTank

If I were Holland, I would sign Jovanovski to a 1 year deal around 5.5 million. I would then go out and sign Wisniewski for 2 years

NO!

but

Yes.

What is with the love for Jovo, and I realize you have to overpay for FA's nowadays but, 5.5?!? FFS, really?

No thanks to Gagne. He is a bag of milk who, at that salary, isn't worth the fact he won't be out there for more than 60 games and the fact his time has kind of run out on being effective. I liked his game a little while back but not anymore, I believe we have the forward depth that we need anyway. DEFENSE, folks.

I would take Gagne in a heartbeat if it was 2005-2007, lol.

NO!

but

Yes.

What is with the love for Jovo, and I realize you have to overpay for FA's nowadays but, 5.5?!? FFS, really?

Jovo is a stop-gap until next season's FA crop or a trade comes along that suits us better. He wouldn't be a terrible guy to have on a third pairing. He played solid when with Vancouver (contending team), and he has never won a cup. We all know how well the Wings are at reclamation projects and Jovo is a prime candidate. He's a veteran, will provide size and strength, and he can put up 35+ points consistently.

I forgot to mention. If Jovo is out, I would target Pitkanen for a multi-year 4.5 per season.

It doesn't matter, it will never stop, so just go with it. If you see something you want to comment on, comment on it... Otherwise ignore it.

NO!

but

Yes.

He made 6.5 last season... Do you honestly think that's overpaying when considering what he made last year? I'm trying to be realistic, not say, "Oh let's sign Jovo for 3.5 million... right...

I am all for the the Wiz signing. That is the actual only one mentioned so far I like until the capgeeks on here tell me otherwise with what's a great deal. I haven't really been too against the Pitkanen but to a point. If it's above 4 mill I would rather it's Wiz and then maybe fill in a bottom 6 forward of some kind. If they re-sign Eaves, Draper, and maybe Miller (doubtful) then that won't happen anyway, especially with Muskrat most likely having a set spot as a 13th for even 4th liner. The Jovo thing I'd rather avoid regardless of the vet presence, I want a banger, right handed shot, who can bring all the intensity in the defensive zone as well. I know that is a description of a pipe dream but that's most likely what we need to try for.

Lundin you forgot the biggest thread

But anyways I posted this in the thread above

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.750m) / Brooks Laich ($2.400m) / Jussi Jokinen ($2.300m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Drew Miller ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.000m)

Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m) / James Wisniewski ($4.550m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,283,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,216,289

Edited by MGreenberg

It doesn't matter, it will never stop, so just go with it. If you see something you want to comment on, comment on it... Otherwise ignore it.

ok, I'll just repeat the same thing for the 15th time, just like everyone else has, in every other thread... it gets redundant and old... but you want an opinion? here it is:

Sign Bieksa and Montador and call it a day. If Bieksa wants too much, explore trade options (*cough* Johnny Boychuk *cough*)... we need to leave some room for next year when the inevitable happens AND we have to re-sign Kronwall and Stuart as well, any big deals with FA essentially handcuff us with negotiations for those 2...

Wiz will want too much coming off that year (probably close to 6m) and even Bieksa may want too much... I think Boston may be a reasonable trade partner, as they need to re-sign a few guys over the next couple years and with the development of some of their young d-men, they have a few they can move, especially if they want to keep Kaberle...

Lundin you forgot the biggest thread

But anyways I posted this in the thread above

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.750m) / Brooks Laich ($2.400m) / Jussi Jokinen ($2.300m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Drew Miller ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.000m)

Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m) / James Wisniewski ($4.550m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Joey MacDonald ($0.550m)

SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,283,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,216,289

I completely agree with Jokinen, I saw his name out there the other day and thought, wow! That would be a great idea to bring him in. He's a guy who can score 30 goals and I think he'd play really well with Datsyuk or Zetterberg.

Laich is going to be way overpaid and as much as I think he'd be a good gritty guy to have, we aren't going to overpay for him.

Joey MacDonald will not be our backup, plain and simple. They will more than likely go out and get Conklin, Hedberg, Boucher, etc... They may even try and get Nabakov from the Isles since he doesn't want to be there.

Your defense is spot on. I don't believe Wiz will command 6 million and I don't think any team will pay that for him. I think he'll relish in the fact that he could play for a contender and make 4-4.5 million. I think he'll like the fact that that contender is right by his hometown.

I think Boston may be a reasonable trade partner, as they need to re-sign a few guys over the next couple years and with the development of some of their young d-men, they have a few they can move, especially if they want to keep Kaberle...

Hudler, Kindl, draft pick, bag of pucks, Babcock's hair --- Lucic

goal.gif

Hudler, Kindl, draft pick, bag of pucks, Babcock's hair --- Lucic

goal.gif

I know you're just joking, but don't even put the thought in anyone's head that Lucic can be had! He'd take a kings ransom to pry away from Boston... I think it'd take something more like Cleary AND Kronwall(maybe more) for Lucic... not that it'd be even, but that's what Boston would want, something of that price...

Now Boychuk on the other hand (especially with the development of McQuaid) could probably be had for Kindl and a pick or two

Edited by stevkrause

the more i think about it, the more i want holland to try to land Carter. Philly has so much young talent and top end players, not to mention a but load of right handed shots. If they want to blow 5 mil on Bryz and keep leino and nodl around they will have to offload around 5.5mil. If they are looking for a cap dump we could offer Abdelkader (who is the gritty kind of player they would like and low cap hit) and a first round pick this year and a second rounder next season, prospect? (I have a hard time putting a value on picks) one thing is certain, they don't want an expensive player in return.

I really want Zherdev. I know he's got issues, lazy, inconsistent, but he has REMARKABLE skill, and you put him with Dats and he'll mature. Get it done Kenny.

And I'm warming to Pitkanen. He's a bit soft for his size, but he can put up points and he could thrive in Detroit.

Jovo is a stop-gap

He made 6.5 last season...

The only stop gap measure Jovo will provide is the same as in the 4 game series, he'll stop to watch during the gap in time from when he get's knocked silly and the opposition scores off of it!

I thought he was a good defensemen all those years, but we sure exploited him and made him look like a tired old man. We don't need that.

I really want Zherdev. I know he's got issues, lazy, inconsistent, but he has REMARKABLE skill, and you put him with Dats and he'll mature. Get it done Kenny.

And I'm warming to Pitkanen. He's a bit soft for his size, but he can put up points and he could thrive in Detroit.

There's def some massive potential in Zherdev. Its a big risk but its a risk I want to take. He' be an improvement on Hudler who is small slow and a left shot (doesn't play a ton of d either). And he could be had for free. We could use huds to move up in the draft or as part of a package to try and land bogosian (people don't think it'll happen, but kenny HAS to bring in someone with potential and youth for the future, not a UFA band-aid).

So it doesn't look like Salei will be back next year. Adam Pardy, anyone? I wouldn't mind Ladislav Smid, either. I believe he's a UFA July 1st, could be mistaken.

How do you feel about Jay Harrison? I'd like him over Salei AND Ericsson.

Ewww to Zherdev and Gagne....ewww

With Abby (plus picks and prospects) in a deal for Carter, as Philly needs to offload for 5.5mill capspace. Using Hudler to get a draft pick to replace one lost in the deal for Carter.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Nikolai Zherdev ($2.000m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Jussi Jokinen ($1.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.850m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.500m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / James Wisniewski ($4.000m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Josh Harding ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,018,938; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $381,062

How do you feel about Jay Harrison? I'd like him over Salei AND Ericsson.

Ewww to Zherdev and Gagne....ewww

I'd love to have him here. Good defensive defenseman. I wasn't sure if he was available this summer or not. He won't want a ton of money. To be honest with you, I really hope Ericsson gets overpaid and leaves. There are so many better options out there and he clearly hasn't panned out here.

Hell no to Gagne and Zherdev. Gagne won't play in more than 60 games and Zherdev is far too defensively irresponsible and offensively inconsistent to thrive here.

Guest Heaten

I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed LGWs fans come the start of the season. Knowing Holland, he and his team are evaluating veteran 'lesser knowns' to fill holes and voids. I highly doubt he's putting too much hope in big name players or players that are making the SCF (which history has proven will get severely overpaid by crap teams - i.e. Lebda)

Another part of me thinks Holland is going to find some useful forward talent, sign them at a really good price, then use them as bargaining chips come trade deadline to lure some talented defensemen. I mean, maybe he thinks he can sign some cheap, yet quality shutdown dmen with a brilliant contract, package them up with the said forward talent that gets resurrected (inflated) by playing next to Datsuyk to bargain for high-quality defensemen from a team trying to shed salary. Include some prospects picks with the package if we can land a franchise defenseman.

In summary, I think Holland is going to use the 2011/12 season to retool instead of winning a championship. I think his goal will be to make a team that makes the playoffs to keep the streak alive, but not a team that will do much damage when it gets there... unless we land that franchise dman at trade deadline.

In my mind, I am 100% certain Holland will NOT land Bieska or Ehrhoff... they will either take a discount to stay in Van, or will be looking for a HUGE payday. I also am pretty certain all the names thrown around on this forum will be getting gobs of money thrown at them from teams that love to overpay players. Holland won't be one of those guys. So the only logical solution is *attempt* to negotiate with said guys in case there is a slim chance they want to come here, but expect 'lesser knowns' to be signed to fill holes for a big deadline trade splash.

I think there's going to be a lot of disappointed LGWs fans come the start of the season. Knowing Holland, he and his team are evaluating veteran 'lesser knowns' to fill holes and voids. I highly doubt he's putting too much hope in big name players or players that are making the SCF (which history has proven will get severely overpaid by crap teams - i.e. Lebda)

Another part of me thinks Holland is going to find some useful forward talent, sign them at a really good price, then use them as bargaining chips come trade deadline to lure some talented defensemen. I mean, maybe he thinks he can sign some cheap, yet quality shutdown dmen with a brilliant contract, package them up with the said forward talent that gets resurrected (inflated) by playing next to Datsuyk to bargain for high-quality defensemen from a team trying to shed salary. Include some prospects picks with the package if we can land a franchise defenseman.

In summary, I think Holland is going to use the 2011/12 season to retool instead of winning a championship. I think his goal will be to make a team that makes the playoffs to keep the streak alive, but not a team that will do much damage when it gets there... unless we land that franchise dman at trade deadline.

In my mind, I am 100% certain Holland will NOT land Bieska or Ehrhoff... they will either take a discount to stay in Van, or will be looking for a HUGE payday. I also am pretty certain all the names thrown around on this forum will be getting gobs of money thrown at them from teams that love to overpay players. Holland won't be one of those guys. So the only logical solution is *attempt* to negotiate with said guys in case there is a slim chance they want to come here, but expect 'lesser knowns' to be signed to fill holes for a big deadline trade splash.

Like Holland would do that...