813 replies to this topic

#21 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:58 PM

you are exactly what is wrong with red wings fans

You are exactly what is wrong with the human race.

Fun.

#22 King Crane

King Crane

3rd Line Checker

• Silver Booster
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:01 AM

- Re-sign Miller, Eaves, Ericcson

HAHAHAHA...no <_<

Agree with most everything else

"I'll smile in June" - Jimmy Howard 

#23 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:03 AM

Trade Hudler. Kick Ericsson down the street. Those would be the main two. Other than that, I feel like we could do better than Salei and Filppula. I really want to keep Filppula, but he did exactly what he always does: wakes up for a couple of games and then goes back to sleep. We just don't get to see the sleep part this time.

Draper and Osgood have earned the right to do whatever the F they want. As much as I think it's time for Ozzie to retire (and I really hate saying that), Detroit's known for its loyalty, and this is the part where he gets that gift and makes everybody else glad that they're playing for the Wings, too.

Pretty sure Mo's done, so I doubt we have to worry about that. Pretty sure Lids isn't done...or at least I want to believe that, so I'm not going to think about it at any rate. I WISH we could get rid of Rafalski...I'm not completely unhappy with him on the whole, but I AM unhappy with his play for the amount of money we pay him.

I don't know who to fill in...gotta think about that for a while. Bringing up Mursak would probably be a good start. I'd definitely like to add some size. EDIT: Wait, I meant physicality. We don't need any more "Big Rigs"; we need some tough suckers.

Edited by MulesWillFly93, 13 May 2011 - 12:08 AM.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#24 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

I would keep Fippula without a doubt and hopes he can start preforming to his potential.

Wisniewski I like him and I think we need a fresh set of legs under him.

My thoughts with Lindstrom. If he wants to come back let him...

Yes i like wisniewski very mobile, ver physically and i like some of the offense he brings. He is a great #3 or #4 d-man

#25 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:06 AM

Get rid of Ericsson and Hudler. Ericsson had a goal in Game 5, awesome. Hudler... did what? Nothing.
Modano, Draper, Salei, Osgood ride off into the sunset. I will miss and love Ozzie and Drapes forever, but the time has come. Re-sign Lidstrom. Here's my thing, he's gotta take less money. While he was great both in the regular season, and playoffs, if he is committed to winning he realizes we need to have the money to add pieces to the team to put us over the top. Eaves I'd bring back as well, Miller, great guy but no, isnt the kind of grinder we need.

Filpulla-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Franzen
?-?-Cleary
Eaves-Helm-?
Mursak

Stuart-Lidstrom
Rafalski-?
Kronwall-?

3 forwards, 2 d-men. Dont really wanna go through the UFA lists right now, but a guy like Brooks Laich would be ideal for the 3rd line. Wisniewski would be nice on the backend as well, of the top of my head. Do I really believe any changes will be made? Not really, but I dont think the team as it is can win the Cup right now. But it is so close, a few pieces and we'll be the class of the league once again.

#NOMOREKINDL

#26 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

Any guy who massacres the name of the greatest player of all time shouldn't be taken very seriously . Yea blame Holland, 100 pt seasons, 50 win seasons, Stanley Cups...I mean what the f*** is going on around here?

The irony in that post is well....ironic coming from the biggest douch nozzle on these boards !

:siren: :siren: :siren:

#27 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

They should do something, although I don't know if they really can. Because for the second straight year against the Sharks, all of the guys not named Datsyuk and Zetterberg that were supposed to score for the Wings didn't do that very much.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#28 Berry

Berry

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

Let's push for Tanguay, Frolov or Prospal.

We need a good 2nd line scorer!! Holland make it happen!

#29 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:15 AM

As a general principle, I just want Kenny to get some guys who are hungry for a cup.

I think the Wings showed all the heart, desire and hunger that they had. They did everything they could. Yet, they're not the ones traveling to Vancouver. The challenge is that if you've won a cup before, you're probably don't have as much desire as someone who hasn't. I hope that some news faces would keep things fresh and exciting and inspire the team a little more.

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,913 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

Let me say thank you to the Wings. They did a good job all season long and I'm proud to be a Wings fan!

This offseason we need some changes.

What do you think?

- Lids has to stay for one more season

- Mo, Drapes, Osgood, Salei have to go

- Keep Joey Mac, he was fine for me

- Try to sell Hudler or Filppula, 3 M can be better used (buyout?)

- Re-sign Miller, Eaves, Ericcson

- We have at least 6.5 M left (if the cap doesn't change)... who would you acquire?

I'm too tired and drunk to think about who I'd want to acquire, but as for who should go I mostly agree, though honestly I'd keep Flip. I don't know that he'll have a breakout year like everyone hopes, but he's got a lot of great qualities that fit this team. When he's healthy and physical, he's effective.

But let's bring an end to the Hudler experiment please.

Joey Mac was fine. I could see bringing in some other serviceable backup though too.

I'd re-sign Eaves. Miller I could take or leave. And only on LGW could the #5 D-man take most of the abuse in a series. Ericsson's a serviceable bottom pairing guy and they could probably re-sign him cheap. Then it's just a matter of whether Kindl can stop the brainfarts or if they need to get another bottom pairing veteran D-man (not Lilja) and pay to have Kindl watch from the pressbox. But assuming the top 4 stays, the Wings need size on the blueline.

If Lidstrom retires, all bets are off and I wouldn't be surprised if Holland tries some crazy s*** in the offseason.

#31 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

Alright folks....for the first order of business, I think we all pretty much agree that McCrimmon's ass should be fired. If theres one thing we've seen over and over again since hes taken over coaching the D, its mental mistakes. And oh boy did we have a ton of those, especially in the first period. What gets the blame for that? Poor coaching. And it isn't Babs fault.

Edited by evilmrt, 13 May 2011 - 01:52 AM.

#32 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:47 AM

Alright folks....for the first order of business, I think we all pretty much agree that McClellan's ass should be fired. If theres one thing we've seen over and over again since hes taken over coaching the D, its mental mistakes. And oh boy did we have a ton of those, especially in the first period. What gets the blame for that? Poor coaching. And it isn't Babs fault.

McCrimmon.

#33 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:49 AM

Without knowing Lidstrom's decision, the only thing I know is that Hudler needs to be traded and Ericsson let go. I wish Rafalski wasn't making $6M.

It's too tough to think about how to change the team if Nick retires. :(

#34 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:50 AM

Hudler needs to go. Heís earning near $3mil and yet you canít rely on him to score goals, you canít rely on him to play strong defence; he just doesnít fit on this team. I like him, and Iíve been one of his biggest fans over the journey, but Iím just not convinced heís a right fit in Detroit. Send him to any team willing to have him. Itís always disappointing to let go a guy capable of putting up 50 points but heís never going to gain enough trust by Babcock to make his salary worthwhile.

Draper should retire. Heís $1.5mil comes off the books which is excellent, but I get the feeling heíll want to hang around for another year, especially if Osgood does too. All reports are that Osgood wants back for another year which makes me nervous that Draper will too. We need to get a little bit younger, here is a start.

Modano obviously wonít be back. That was a major failed experiment, not that I didnít say that it would happen...

Not fussed about Drew Miller. I wouldn't mind having him back, but only as a 12th/13th forward, and obviously very cheap. I'd be interested to see what Dick Axelsson could bring to the table, he could be a wildcard, but I wouldn't be counting on it.

Filppula needs to play permanently with Datsyuk. They click, itís that simple. I get that we want to spread out the wealth, and I know that thereís always the temptation of playing Hank with Dats and trying to reunite that chemistry, but I think to maximise Filppulaís potential you make this pairing happen. Plus itíll bring out the best in Dats knowing heís got some speed and puck handling skills alongside.

Have to make re-signing Patrick eaves a priority. He was superb all season and IMO was a real unsung hero against San Jose. Ideally something like 2 years, $2.2 million. Eaves is Detroit kind of guy and has a real will to win.

Unfortunately another season of Rafalski, Holmstrom and, to a lesser extent, Bertuzzi, awaits. Itíd be awesome to move Rafalski and his massive contract but that wonít happen.

Hereís my ideal line-up next season:

Filppula Ė Datsyuk Ė Holmstrom (shudder at Holmstrom, but where else can you put him?)
Bertuzzi Ė Zetterberg Ė Franzen
Eaves Ė Helm Ė Cleary
Abdelkader Ė Emmerton - Mursak

I think Helm's ready to centre the 3rd line. Cory Emmerton comes in and plays 4th line centre, well either he or Abdelkader. Mursak would ideally fit on that Eaves and Helm line to create insane speed and energy, but as a rookie he'll probably start on the 4th line.

Ken Holland: Heís (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, heís a puck hound.

#35 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,548 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 01:53 AM

McCrimmon.

HAHA damn it, I was still pissed at McClellan :lol: Fixed.

#36 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:21 AM

Draper, Modano, Ericsson and Salei all let go. Trade Hudler for something if we can.

Smith to be on the team full-time next season, try and get a decent bottom 3 defencemen with the money we have freed up.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#37 YzerPucks19

YzerPucks19

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:25 AM

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m) this is it($5.250m)
Alex Tanguay ($1.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Michal Handzus ($4.000m)
Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.870m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.600m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.000m)
Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,602,878; BONUSES: $210,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $797,122

Pipe dreams....i know :P hahaa

Since Franzen signed the big contract he has been a floater and injury prone to much is not deserving his $5.250 next season.
I found out that if you are going to win games, you had better be ready to adapt.

Scotty Bowman

#38 YzerPucks19

YzerPucks19

Prospect

• 36 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:30 AM

Hudler was a huge disappointment and Ericsson is too.
Holmstrom is terrible. Watching him try to stick handle is funny as hell.
Salei was not interested in game 7 what I saw.

Filppula and Franzen were not great at all these playoffs. 1 or 2 games don't count.

This team needs a right handed centremen.
I found out that if you are going to win games, you had better be ready to adapt.

Scotty Bowman

#39 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:01 AM

his name is konopka.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1

#40 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:09 AM

Ive supported hudler ALL season. When everyone bashed him I still believed in him, but I think he was our worst player in the sharks series. Made several defensive mistakes that could have cost us games. So im finally on board with trading him.

Moving Salei, Ericsson would not break my heart. Ozzie should retire but I thought he said he wanted one more year. Homer and drapes will prob play another year. Unless they force drapes to minors like maltby. Then he may retire.

Hopefully lids take a huge cut, so we can sign a huge stay at home defense men or a lids replacement if there is such a thing.

I would love seeing parise. The guy is a darren helm with a scoring touch. Comes to play everyf****** night.

Realistically the only move I see is hudler going, and maybe somehow signing a top forward for a year like they did with hossa. Thats IF lids stays for the cup. I dont see many moves being made. Especially on defense. Babs loves salei. Id be very surprised if any moves were even made.

Im confident in howard. Mac did fine as a backup.

If anything invest in better equipment to limit the injures HA