• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Berry

Changes in the offseason

Rate this topic

alot of ppl on here are wanting wisniewski..yes he had a great offensive season and was a plus player. but he is far from a solid defensive defencman and thats what i feel the wings need the most..and hes gonna be looking to get a raise...i would love to see bieksa but i know its highly unlikely goona happen...watching tampa this post season im liking the play off both sean bergenheim and eric brewer(been a stud defensivly and shot blocking machine) both are ufa's at seasons end....also i feel ozzie needs to hang up the skates and 2 possible backup options could be garon from columbus and even theodore..both are currently making 1million and are BACKUPS that can win some games for us next year...i say keep eaves and miller and let ericson walk

I doubt if Tampa makes it past Boston/wins the cup that Yzerman wouldn't re-sign Bergenheim who has had eight goals so far in the playoffs and Brewer who has been solid in his own right even if they weren't high point total regular season guys.

Wings need to get tougher on D. Adding Brewer and Wisniewski would have helped in the Sharks Series.

Also NHL Numbers has Franzen at $5,500,000 which makes more sense with the long term deal. CapGeek has him at $3,954,545.

You are looking at salary and cap hit. They are not the same thing. Franzen made $5m this year, makes $5.25m the next two years, $5m the three after that, drops to $3.5m, then $2m, and so forth. His cap hit remains the same throughout, because it is an average of the total contract value. That's why the Kovalchuk contract was investigated; because his salary started out huge and dropped down below $1m after a few seasons.

That is HanZal's salary through next season, that would be great if we could acquire him, but I don't think Phoenix wants to dump one of their best players for $3.4M in Hudler and Emmerton. I think Hudler may get us a draft pick, but not a player of Hazal's talent....

Martin Hanzal is a GUN and would be worth way more than we could ever give them. You know one of these years he's going to explode offensively and that is on top of one heck of a defensive game and excellent faceoff skills. He's one of the most underrated players in the game, one of the best 2 way players for sure.

Martin Hanzal is a GUN and would be worth way more than we could ever give them. You know one of these years he's going to explode offensively and that is on top of one heck of a defensive game and excellent faceoff skills. He's one of the most underrated players in the game, one of the best 2 way players for sure.

Hanzal would be difficult to acquire, but wonderful.

However, he is not a "gun" in terms of being a goal scorer. He did score a bunch of goals last season, but most of them were Holmstrom-esque. Yet another reason to pick him up; Homer's leaving and Hanzal can take his place on the PP.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Ken Holland go after Tomas Kopecky if he could be had for less than $2m; Kopecky has always been pretty good in front of the net also and would give the Wings another big, physical, mobile player who can play.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Ken Holland go after Tomas Kopecky

:thumbdown: Ewwww. Please no reclamations. No second go 'rounds. Please. Just sayin'.

I'm working on a post of epic proportions for this thread in the spirit of the original post

"If you were Holland"

Is Ken Holland fan fiction a "thing?" :lol:

The problem with this team and the front office is that they continue to hold on to the freaking past, Draper osgood,,, (with the exception of Lids) This team need to be gutted like a fish. start utilizing the young talent we have. Trade up for some bigger stronger players.

Its time to let go. look what stevie Y has done with tampa bay.....

Please no reclamations. No second go 'rounds. Please. Just sayin'.

So you're firmly in the camp of " No Ty Conklin" then? Because the majority seems to be fighting the "Conklin vs Nabokov" fight over who should be next year's backup.

And Ville Leino? How about that one? He's a real popular name right now.

As for reclamations... Joey MacDonald? Jason Williams? Chris Osgood? Dallas Drake? Darren McCarty?

Ken Holland has grabbed up plenty of former Wings in various capacities. Just as it's not unusual for a GM to raid their old club for players and prospects, Holland sometimes will reach back and pick up a former Wing who fits the need. The need is a mobile, physical, two-way forward capable of playing center and wing, right? Someone who can play on the PP or PK? Say hello to Tomas Kopecky.

Hanzal would be difficult to acquire, but wonderful.

However, he is not a "gun" in terms of being a goal scorer. He did score a bunch of goals last season, but most of them were Holmstrom-esque. Yet another reason to pick him up; Homer's leaving and Hanzal can take his place on the PP.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Ken Holland go after Tomas Kopecky if he could be had for less than $2m; Kopecky has always been pretty good in front of the net also and would give the Wings another big, physical, mobile player who can play.

No thanks.

I don't want my memories of Kopecky's final shift in Detroit to be tainted.

I would like to see a backup goalie brought in. maybe a forward too.

modano,ozzie and drapes retire. I wanna see drapes work somewhere in the organization,he will always be my fvavorite wing. nik one more year. homer and hudler gone. I would like to see salei back,but not many people would agree there. the rest I would keep. staff and players.

Edited by hockeychik25

So you're firmly in the camp of " No Ty Conklin" then? Because the majority seems to be fighting the "Conklin vs Nabokov" fight over who should be next year's backup.

Not in the Ty Conklin camp. Nabokov might be alright, but I think it's going to be between Osgood or MacDonald backing up Howard unless their is another injury or epic meltdown.

I don't think that's gonna happen. For one, I don't think he enamored himself to Holland. Second, I think the Flyers are going to re-sign him. Third, I don't think HE wants to come back here.

As for reclamations... Joey MacDonald? Jason Williams? Chris Osgood? Dallas Drake? Darren McCarty?

Ken Holland has grabbed up plenty of former Wings in various capacities. Just as it's not unusual for a GM to raid their old club for players and prospects, Holland sometimes will reach back and pick up a former Wing who fits the need. The need is a mobile, physical, two-way forward capable of playing center and wing, right? Someone who can play on the PP or PK? Say hello to Tomas Kopecky.

Yes, he certainly has grabbed up plenty of former Wings. I think that has worked both in our favor and well, not so much. [Joey Mac as a back-up/AHL veteran. Jason Williams with second attempt in a role that he didn't fulfill the first time around. Osgood... Hey we all have said goodbye to someone too early... and second chances are sometimes worth it, Drake (how long did he play for us the first time around?) a second coming that was oh so sweet. McCarty - nostalgia tour.

Whether they have worked out for us or not they certainly know the system, the expectations, the dressing room, and the fact that it's easy to come back to a perennial contender is a win-win.

I don't like Kopecky. He had flashes of great play here and certainly stepped up once he went to the Hawks, but I waver in ability to praise him as much as you might.

You say mobile: I say, "I remember him falling down a lot and looking like a big oaf a lot of the time."

You say physical: I say, "I don't remember great use of that size and while he's not incapable of fighting, he's no fighter."

Also, like Leino, Kopecky has certainly found a certain amount of success outside of the Wings organization. I don't know how much he wants to come back here either.

Unless the Hawks can't sign him for the money he wants... and if he wants too much money, I DEFINITELY don't want him back.

If I were Holland, I wouldn't be looking in this direction.

anyone else realize that without rafalski we could get weber. actually we could get a lot without rafalski. hes way too overpaid.

This is a statement that is made anytime we talk about how we need to get younger.

Is he overpaid now? Yes.

Was he overpaid at the time of his signing? Maybe slightly.

Would he get six million if we re-signed him next year? Not a chance.

Are we going to re-sign him? Probably not.

Is he going to get traded? No.

NEXT.

So in your mind, Holland just should sign Leino, Kopecky and Fleischmann... Oh and put Hudler on the first line and THEN re-sign him for even MORE money that he hasn't earned.... Hmmmm.... Sure glad you are not our GM...

you are exactly what is wrong with red wings fans

You're the perfect reason why the negative button needed to come back.

anyone else realize that without rafalski we could get weber. actually we could get a lot without rafalski. hes way too overpaid.

This is so full of fail. So all the Red Wings have to do to get Weber is to get rid of Rafalski? You do know Nashville will have nearly 15mil to sign Weber to a massive long term contract that only Atlanta and NYI will probably be able to match? For the last f'n time, the Detroit Red Wings, will NOT, and I repeat, will NOT be tendering an offer for Weber nor will they sign Weber. Just stop it.

We need more big strong North American guys. I'm tired of these soft Euros. And somebody that can fight please.

I am sorry, but any Wings roster with Hudler on it is NOT a step in the positive direction. PLUS you actually re-signed him AGAIN at $3.25M? :hysterical: Sorry, but Hudler and the Wings are not good for each other.

No team in their right mind would trade for Hudler based on his performance and salary. And that is why he's going to either Toronto or Chicago.

Guest Grayne Wetzky

We need more big strong North American guys. I'm tired of these soft Euros. And somebody that can fight please.

Exactly. This is the TRUTH. Datsyuk is the best fighter on the team. That's sad.

No team in their right mind would trade for Hudler based on his performance and salary. And that is why he's going to either Toronto or Chicago.

:lol: Cheeky and so true. Hudler for Tim Brent and Keith Aulie :ph34r:

The problem with this team and the front office is that they continue to hold on to the freaking past, Draper osgood,,, (with the exception of Lids) This team need to be gutted like a fish. start utilizing the young talent we have. Trade up for some bigger stronger players.

Its time to let go. look what stevie Y has done with tampa bay.....

Taken a team that was basically a couple high end players, a decent vet or two, and prospects or filler and:

Added a skilled old goalie who was being used as a bandage on the Isle, traded the goalie he signed to be the starter, added a skilled forward for a cheap deal because Philadelphia's stupid, and made some deals to turn it into a worthwhile team.

Yzerman learned how a team should be built from Holland. Just being good at hockey doesn't give you that success; ask Brett Hull or Wayne Gretzky about their post-playing jobs. Ken Holland was basically a minor leaguer when goaltending was at its worst.

This is a statement that is made anytime we talk about how we need to get younger.

Is he overpaid now? Yes.

Was he overpaid at the time of his signing? Maybe slightly.

Would he get six million if we re-signed him next year? Not a chance.

Are we going to re-sign him? Probably not.

Is he going to get traded? No.

NEXT.

I don't think he was even overpaid at the time of his signing. Sure the term was a little longer than I'd want, but it's likely what Holland had to do to bring him here. He was not in a strong negotiating position.

At the end of the 07 season Schneider jumped ship for $5.6 million with Anaheim, leaving a major hole in the Wings defense. Holland was scrambling for a #2 D-man and found Rafalski who similar to Schneider was a puck-moving defenseman good for 40-50 points (which is what Schneider was until he was paired with Nick and had two career seasons), who fit into the defense puck-moving system in Detroit, was younger than Schneider, a two-time Cup winner, and a local boy to boot.

Everyone wants to kill Rafalski when he makes a bad turnover, but for every one of those there's the tremendous outlet passes and quarterbacking the power play. More than even Lidstrom, Rafalski stretches the Wings offense and keeps the other teams defense honest. Because skating in front of his own net he's capable of rocketing a pass to a forward headed towards the offensive blueline.

Yes the contract looks less good now that we're in the last two years and his play has tapered a bit. But it's unfair to just look at him now and call him overpaid. At the time it was a good signing, and considering how 2008 worked out (and even 2009), it was worth it.

Guest Grayne Wetzky

I don't think he was even overpaid at the time of his signing. Sure the term was a little longer than I'd want, but it's likely what Holland had to do to bring him here. He was not in a strong negotiating position.

At the end of the 07 season Schneider jumped ship for $5.6 million with Anaheim, leaving a major hole in the Wings defense. Holland was scrambling for a #2 D-man and found Rafalski who similar to Schneider was a puck-moving defenseman good for 40-50 points (which is what Schneider was until he was paired with Nick and had two career seasons), who fit into the defense puck-moving system in Detroit, was younger than Schneider, a two-time Cup winner, and a local boy to boot.

Everyone wants to kill Rafalski when he makes a bad turnover, but for every one of those there's the tremendous outlet passes and quarterbacking the power play. More than even Lidstrom, Rafalski stretches the Wings offense and keeps the other teams defense honest. Because skating in front of his own net he's capable of rocketing a pass to a forward headed towards the offensive blueline.

Yes the contract looks less good now that we're in the last two years and his play has tapered a bit. But it's unfair to just look at him now and call him overpaid. At the time it was a good signing, and considering how 2008 worked out (and even 2009), it was worth it.

If the Wings would have taken 2009, there'd be NO question as to whether or not the signing was a good one. But since Rafalski's injury was a big part of them NOT winning in 2009 and his play over the last 2 years has been noticibly weak in the playoffs, I think it's a valid question to ask if that 30 million could have brought us more with other players.

:clap:

Finally, you've seen the light. I'm glad you've admitted your follies in the past.

Now it's time for Holland to go out and make it happen.

Edited by GMRwings1983

If the Wings would have taken 2009, there'd be NO question as to whether or not the signing was a good one. But since Rafalski's injury was a big part of them NOT winning in 2009 and his play over the last 2 years has been noticibly weak in the playoffs, I think it's a valid question to ask if that 30 million could have brought us more with other players.

"Man, Rafalski is so overpaid. He makes $6m and couldn't even stay healthy. WTF?"

Rafalski for five years at $6m was an absolute steal when it was signed. He's still a legit #1 defenseman now. He's not top ten like he was, but still very good and still one of the elite offensive defensemen.