• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Pat

Will Nicklas Lidstrom Retire?

Rate this topic

228 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After watching the heartbreaking loss I realized that this may have been the last game I've ever seen of Lidstrom. It's a harsh reality that may occur during this years off-season. Babcock said in his postgame conference that Nick is a family guy, but he also did say that Nick would talk to him about his decision whether or not to continue playing.

All in all I believe he will come back for one more year, and will publicly say that next season would be his last. I believe he will take a deep pay cut in order for the wings to acquire a top end defenseman or forward, at a pay of 2-4 Million. (Brad Richards, Shea Weber, Zach Parise, etc)

I also believe Nick Lidstrom will win the Norris trophy this year, which will help him in the decision making process.

Discuss.

Edited by Pat

I think it depends on what moves Holland makes, and if Lids feels that the team is improved for a Cup run. I suppose if Kenny kept everyone from this year and made zero changes, there would be more chance that Nick would retire. He won't waste his time.

I think he'll do 1 more year. Next summer will see a big change in the Wings roster as the likes of Rafalski, Bertuzzi + Holmstrom will all retire. I imagine Nick will be one of them, to start a new era in Wings history.

I'm terrified to think of what this team would look like without him. Imagine our PP without Nick...it would be a night mare. He has to be the best offensive dman in hockey, I'm talkingo patience and poise with the puck in the offensive zone. Kronwall doesn't nearly compare and Rafalski has almost no patience or shot selection anymore.

I really hope Nick will take the Yzerman pay cut this year so we can make a splash this offseason. If this team comes back mostly untouched, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed. I'm of the camp that believes, for this team to go anywhere, more than a couple guys need to go. (Hudler, Modano, Osgood,Ericsson, Salei for sure and go from there)

Edited by achildr1

That was his last game as a Red Wing. He had an epic career but he knows his time in the NHL is over. He will likely go back to Sweden and play with the Olympic/World team there.

That was his last game as a Red Wing. He had an epic career but he knows his time in the NHL is over. He will likely go back to Sweden and play with the Olympic/World team there.

Where would possibly make you ascertain something like this?

I hope he plays 1 more year. If for nothing else, so that Lidstrom can mentor Smith on playing the point on the PP. I really think that Smith will be our next great PP quarterback, but it's going to take a few years for him to get there.

Nah, the guy can still get it done and the love of the game is absolutely still there. He'll be back and enough of what he will be asking for. He's Nick Lidstrom, people. I understand the cap space and all that but let's gain a little bit of perspective here.

Obviously we're all just guessing at this point. The facts are that he is still clearly playing at a very high level (one that is high enough that he could easily come back) and the Wings are still competing for a cup (despite most posters over reaction for essentially a gut job on the roster). It will come down to the same things as it did last summer for Lidstrom, his desire to go through the grind again. My gut feeling is that he's the kind of guy that realizes once you walk away there is no coming back to this sport and if he walks away too soon he'll regret it. I think he's back for another year. That's my guess