• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:00 AM

I hope he plays 1 more year. If for nothing else, so that Lidstrom can mentor Smith on playing the point on the PP. I really think that Smith will be our next great PP quarterback, but it's going to take a few years for him to get there.

#22 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:03 AM

Nah, the guy can still get it done and the love of the game is absolutely still there. He'll be back and enough of what he will be asking for. He's Nick Lidstrom, people. I understand the cap space and all that but let's gain a little bit of perspective here.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#23 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

Obviously we're all just guessing at this point. The facts are that he is still clearly playing at a very high level (one that is high enough that he could easily come back) and the Wings are still competing for a cup (despite most posters over reaction for essentially a gut job on the roster). It will come down to the same things as it did last summer for Lidstrom, his desire to go through the grind again. My gut feeling is that he's the kind of guy that realizes once you walk away there is no coming back to this sport and if he walks away too soon he'll regret it. I think he's back for another year. That's my guess
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#24 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

He needs to stay until his son is old enough for the Wings to draft him.

#25 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

i think hes got more in him. especially if babs is keeping him off the pk from now on. i mean, if we bring in one more good dman like ehrhoff and a good young forward with size like hanzal or ladd we can definitely do some damage next season.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#26 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

That was his last game as a Red Wing. He had an epic career but he knows his time in the NHL is over. He will likely go back to Sweden and play with the Olympic/World team there.

Where would possibly make you ascertain something like this?

My guess would be when Nick learned he was nominated for another Norris this year. Nothing says your "time in the NHL is over" like a Norris Trophy nomination. :rolleyes:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#27 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

He's already stated that he would be willing to move down to the 3rd and 4th defensive pairing in the future. That to me indicates he will be back.

Considering there is no 4th defensive pairing, I gather your intel is wrong.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#28 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,492 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:53 AM

He has declined, no question, but he still played at a very high level this season, into the playoffs. He's a Norris candidate, personally, I don't think he'll win, it's a tough sell being a "-" for the year, but we'll see.

So, I think he comes back for 1 more year, but it depends on the following:

- how does he fell physically now, after going through 2 rounds of the playoffs? Is he gassed? Would another 2 rounds have been tough on him?
- how does he think the team will fare next season?

If he thinks the team will have a good shot next year and he thinks he can physically put in the minutes to get through 4 rounds, then I think he'll come back, but if the answer is no to either question, he probably doesn't come back because there is no reason to come back for anything other than a cup run.

#29 Red Wing

Red Wing

Prospect

• 35 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

1 more year, hopefully. at his age he's still one of the best defenseman in the league which is outright amazing.

parise or richards would be a ridiculously perfect fit on this team.

#30 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:26 AM

As much as we love him, I think he's over payed. Time to go Nick, and built this franchise with the other Nick.

This is extremely laughable. He's a Norris finalist and you think he's overpaid at $6.2m?

And even more laughable, you think Kronwall is a future #1 dman? He's 30 years old and has never showed more talent than a #2 at best.

Edit: I hope to god that Lids is back for another year. This team will have a hard time continuing on without him.

Edited by Theophany, 13 May 2011 - 10:27 AM.

#31 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

1 more year, hopefully. at his age he's still one of the best defenseman in the league which is outright amazing.

parise or richards would be a ridiculously perfect fit on this team.

Parise would be a dream, but one that would probably require us going back in time and undoing the Franzen deal.

#32 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:44 AM

He will be back.... He struggled with it last year because of how well him and the team performed. This season he has another career year and should win the Norris, I say that if he is in the likes of weber and Chara, that I still want him here...

#33 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:57 AM

I don't think he will and I don't think he should. It seems to me that he still has at least one more season of quality hockey to play. I hope Liddy stays one more season!!

#34 Blood On The Ice

Blood On The Ice

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Considering there is no 4th defensive pairing, I gather your intel is wrong.

Excuse my choice of words. How about the 3rd or 4th Dman.

http://www.letsgowin...w-this-morning/

Edited by Blood On The Ice, 13 May 2011 - 11:10 AM.

#35 Chris Avram

Chris Avram

Prospect

• 32 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

This is extremely laughable. He's a Norris finalist and you think he's overpaid at $6.2m?

And even more laughable, you think Kronwall is a future #1 dman? He's 30 years old and has never showed more talent than a #2 at best.

Edit: I hope to god that Lids is back for another year. This team will have a hard time continuing on without him.

Yeah well he ran out of gas during the semi-finals.

#36 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:26 PM

Someday. Not this summer. Not a chance.
-Elliot...does not panic.

#37 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Hopefully not until #5 gets cup #5.

#38 TheDetroitRedWings

TheDetroitRedWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

Honestly, I just can't imagine that he'll retire when he is still at the top of his game. Even if his game drops somewhat next season (it probably won't) he'll still be a top 10 d-man in the league. I truly believe Nick will return for at least one more year.

12041887825_d4b1d5c02f_o.jpg

#39 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

What else does this man have to accomplish in the NHL? He has done EVERYTHING already.

the 3-0 series comeback would have topped it off

#40 Salviaman

Salviaman

Tool + Red Wings = Bliss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

the 3-0 series comeback would have topped it off

True statement. I hope that he plays next year. I really want to see him go out on top one more time. I just got a feeling he may not return. Maybe he wants to spend time with his family...
Think for yourself. Question authority. Throughout human history as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are or where we are going in this ocean of chance, it has been the authorities, the political, the religious, the educational authorities who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing, forming in our minds their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable, open mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.