• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Travis

2012 Winter Classic, Jan 2.

Rate this topic

I do believe I'll pass on this one again.

And it might be because January 1st is on a Sunday. Though a Monday afternoon doesn't seem like it would draw that much of an audience. Oh well, what do I know?

Seriously? Philly again?

How about hosting it in Minnesota? Minneapolis area has the stadium where the Twins play, as well as the University of Minnesota's fairly new football stadium which is only about 2 or 3 seasons played in. Seen it on TV, absolutely a beautiful new stadium.

New York is still calling!!! Yankee Stadium is tied into a college bowl game on January 1st, but there's about 3295 stadiums in the New York area where they could play the game and get an atmosphere.

And with anybody that might respond to me with the rating bit, I get it. I get that some places geographically get striked out by default but I am for equal access first. It was stupid for Pittsburgh to get second dibs so early because of Golden Boy, Philly getting 2nd dibs is silly as well.

Let other teams have a shot as well, even if it is a team that can't host and is just a road team for the game.

I really would argue for Montreal or Toronto getting it, but it seems that they'll just have a separate one every year ("Heritage Classic") as no one in the US is going to watch a Canadian team and they will make tons of money off of it in Canada anyways.

I also initially don't really like the same teams getting it year after year. I don't know, seems like it could be one of those things like the Thanksgiving Day games in the NFL. I can't really make up my mind actually. Kind of really do find it lame that twice there's been teams that have already played.

Might as well get used to it because there are only a handful of teams that will draw a decent audience. In the States, that means Canadian teams and markets such as Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, etc are out of luck in terms of getting a game.

I expect it will be the large, traditional markets of the north east and midwest playing in most of the WC games.

Seriously? Philly again?

How about hosting it in Minnesota? Minneapolis area has the stadium where the Twins play, as well as the University of Minnesota's fairly new football stadium which is only about 2 or 3 seasons played in. Seen it on TV, absolutely a beautiful new stadium.

New York is still calling!!! Yankee Stadium is tied into a college bowl game on January 1st, but there's about 3295 stadiums in the New York area where they could play the game and get an atmosphere.

And with anybody that might respond to me with the rating bit, I get it. I get that some places geographically get striked out by default but I am for equal access first. It was stupid for Pittsburgh to get second dibs so early because of Golden Boy, Philly getting 2nd dibs is silly as well.

Let other teams have a shot as well, even if it is a team that can't host and is just a road team for the game.

If the NHL were as popular as the NFL in this country, the league would share the same view. With the NHL still trying to establish itself in the a place where it has more regional appeal, ratings are key.

Besides, I would bet none of us would have a problem if it were the Redwings hosting the game. I know I wouldn't.

Seriously? Philly again?

No no, if it has to be in Penn again' let's at least get Beaver Stadium. That would be a great site for a Winter Classic, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Penn State fan either.

Has nothing to do with Bettman as Canada has their very own outdoor game and they won't navigate outside of that. I have no problem with it being this way as Canada seems to sort of shield themselves off from this kind of thing. All that said, I'd love a Toronto vs. Detroit classic in Detroit or Michigan Stadium.

It will never be Canada as long as they're their own country... They don't broadcast Versus/NBC there just like we don't broadcast TSN/CBC, and NBC gets $0 broadcasting revenue from a game being played in Canada.

If the NHL were as popular as the NFL in this country, the league would share the same view. With the NHL still trying to establish itself in the a place where it has more regional appeal, ratings are key.

Besides, I would bet none of us would have a problem if it were the Redwings hosting the game. I know I wouldn't.

Any Red Wings pub is good to me obviously, but from an overall perspective to other fans and teams involved, it still wouldn't make it right.

For anybody's info/interest these are pictures of Minnesota University's stadium if you've never seen in before or didn't watch one of the Vikings games that had to be played there due to their dome collapse last season, per to what I was referring to my first post here. Really nice venue it looks like.

minneapolis_tcf1.jpg

minneapolis_tcf2.jpg

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

ok, now I am just throwing this out there to see what sticks, how about a match up of the stars versus the wild at TCF Bank Stadium (University of Minnesota's stadium). I have never been to it, but it looks beautiful. One sticking point, I can see is if they have natural turf. Michigan stadium didn't have the ability to host the Big Chill until field turf was installed.

ok, now I am just throwing this out there to see what sticks, how about a match up of the stars versus the wild at TCF Bank Stadium (University of Minnesota's stadium). I have never been to it, but it looks beautiful. One sticking point, I can see is if they have natural turf. Michigan stadium didn't have the ability to host the Big Chill until field turf was installed.

Stars and Wild? The only teams that would be less successful would be Florida and Atlanta.

I'm not really a warm weather hockey fan, but for some reason I can't help but think that, depending on what temperatures a hockey game could feasibly be played in, a game in a venue like the Coliseum in LA would be pretty interesting to watch. Got to admit, I'm a fan of the outdoor games, it's just a unique setting, I suppose, for an NHL game...

The NHL is appealing to the large Eastern US markets. It's not hard to understand. I'll watch this one like I've watch all the previous ones because I love hockey and love outdoor games just as much. I don't care If the Penguins played the Penguins, I'd still watch it because i watch any hockey game. I guess the cool thing to do is bemoan how much you detest repeat teams or teams from the state of Pensylvania getting multiple WCs before some teams even get one. I did like the idea of having a Toronto/Detroit match up that featured back to back outdoor games. I remember hearing it from one of the Versus crew members and I would fully endorse that idea.

Very confusing to me... What if the NFL is still striking too?

I would imagine the assumption is that the NFL will have a season and the NHL is smart enough to know they could never compete with the NFL's ratings on a Sunday. The Eagles are scheduled for a home game on January 1....so the game would have to take place at Citizens Bank Park. Im disappointed that Detroit will not participate in the Winter Classic, especially because i'd love to see behind the scenes on HBO. I'm glad Philly gets to host a game from a purely selfish reason. I live here and will more than likely be able to attend the game, so I'm happy about that; however a Detroit/Toronto game in Detroit would be amazing.

I hate to say it but for me the winter classic has lost some interest. I think the first one was awesome and Detroit Chicago was great but I have payed less attention each year. Maybe its because last years got pushed back to night.

I really would argue for Montreal or Toronto getting it, but it seems that they'll just have a separate one every year ("Heritage Classic") as no one in the US is going to watch a Canadian team and they will make tons of money off of it in Canada anyways.

I also initially don't really like the same teams getting it year after year. I don't know, seems like it could be one of those things like the Thanksgiving Day games in the NFL. I can't really make up my mind actually. Kind of really do find it lame that twice there's been teams that have already played.

You have it right here. As with a lot of things in the NHL, it is all about what the TV networks want. NBC doesn't want Canadian teams, because they feel they won't draw well in the US. So, the Canadian teams get the Heritage Classic. CBC doesn't think US teams will draw in Canada, so it will be all Canadian teams.

Why January 2nd?

Looking at the calendar, January 1st is a Sunday. The leagues probably would not want to have a noon game on a Sunday. Also, could be related to college bowl schedules, as well. They might feel they would have more of a exclusive audience with a Monday game. Might also mean with the experience they had this year, they might try a night game.

...The Eagles are scheduled for a home game on January 1....

Looking at the calendar, January 1st is a Sunday. The leagues probably would not want to have a noon game on a Sunday. Also, could be related to college bowl schedules, as well. They might feel they would have more of a exclusive audience with a Monday game. Might also mean with the experience they had this year, they might try a night game.

The Eagles do indeed have a game v. Washington. From the League's monetary standpoint: Bigger venue = Mo' money. Bettman is still gutless. I'm sure he'll have a perfectly logical reason why he didn't want to go head-to-head with football on 01/01.

I'm skipping this one again. Why cant we have one with some intrigue or history involved? I know Minnesota and Dallas probably wouldn't draw interest, but there's a history involved. Colorado deserves to get involved at some point. This theory that people want to watch nothing but Eastern teams is bulls***.

As someone previously posted, only Bettman could take a good idea and screw it up. Of course, as my other half says, Bettman could f**k up a wet dream.