• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Bradster1984

Bradster1984

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:30 PM

Bettman hates Canada (Winnipeg anyone?) and won't have a Toronto vs Detroit or New York vs Montreal game.

#22 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

Bettman hates Canada (Winnipeg anyone?) and won't have a Toronto vs Detroit or New York vs Montreal game.

Has nothing to do with Bettman as Canada has their very own outdoor game and they won't navigate outside of that. I have no problem with it being this way as Canada seems to sort of shield themselves off from this kind of thing. All that said, I'd love a Toronto vs. Detroit classic in Detroit or Michigan Stadium.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#23 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Why January 2nd?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#24 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

Why January 2nd?

Very confusing to me... What if the NFL is still striking too?

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#25 Save The Octopus

Save The Octopus

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

You guys are missing the big picture. Comcast just bought NBC. Winter Classic is on NBC. Now comes the tricky part, who owns the flyers????!

Bingo! At the very least it is shady.

#26 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:35 PM

Rangers vs Flyers for next year's winter classic. Boo :thumbdown:

#27 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

I do believe I'll pass on this one again.

And it might be because January 1st is on a Sunday. Though a Monday afternoon doesn't seem like it would draw that much of an audience. Oh well, what do I know?
Posted Image

#28 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

Seriously? Philly again?

How about hosting it in Minnesota? Minneapolis area has the stadium where the Twins play, as well as the University of Minnesota's fairly new football stadium which is only about 2 or 3 seasons played in. Seen it on TV, absolutely a beautiful new stadium.

New York is still calling!!! Yankee Stadium is tied into a college bowl game on January 1st, but there's about 3295 stadiums in the New York area where they could play the game and get an atmosphere.

And with anybody that might respond to me with the rating bit, I get it. I get that some places geographically get striked out by default but I am for equal access first. It was stupid for Pittsburgh to get second dibs so early because of Golden Boy, Philly getting 2nd dibs is silly as well.

Let other teams have a shot as well, even if it is a team that can't host and is just a road team for the game.

#29 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:16 PM

I really would argue for Montreal or Toronto getting it, but it seems that they'll just have a separate one every year ("Heritage Classic") as no one in the US is going to watch a Canadian team and they will make tons of money off of it in Canada anyways.

I also initially don't really like the same teams getting it year after year. I don't know, seems like it could be one of those things like the Thanksgiving Day games in the NFL. I can't really make up my mind actually. Kind of really do find it lame that twice there's been teams that have already played.

Might as well get used to it because there are only a handful of teams that will draw a decent audience. In the States, that means Canadian teams and markets such as Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, etc are out of luck in terms of getting a game.

I expect it will be the large, traditional markets of the north east and midwest playing in most of the WC games.

#30 Redwings 1926

Redwings 1926

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

Seriously? Philly again?

How about hosting it in Minnesota? Minneapolis area has the stadium where the Twins play, as well as the University of Minnesota's fairly new football stadium which is only about 2 or 3 seasons played in. Seen it on TV, absolutely a beautiful new stadium.

New York is still calling!!! Yankee Stadium is tied into a college bowl game on January 1st, but there's about 3295 stadiums in the New York area where they could play the game and get an atmosphere.

And with anybody that might respond to me with the rating bit, I get it. I get that some places geographically get striked out by default but I am for equal access first. It was stupid for Pittsburgh to get second dibs so early because of Golden Boy, Philly getting 2nd dibs is silly as well.

Let other teams have a shot as well, even if it is a team that can't host and is just a road team for the game.

If the NHL were as popular as the NFL in this country, the league would share the same view. With the NHL still trying to establish itself in the a place where it has more regional appeal, ratings are key.

Besides, I would bet none of us would have a problem if it were the Redwings hosting the game. I know I wouldn't.

#31 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

Seriously? Philly again?

No no, if it has to be in Penn again' let's at least get Beaver Stadium. That would be a great site for a Winter Classic, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Penn State fan either.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#32 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

Has nothing to do with Bettman as Canada has their very own outdoor game and they won't navigate outside of that. I have no problem with it being this way as Canada seems to sort of shield themselves off from this kind of thing. All that said, I'd love a Toronto vs. Detroit classic in Detroit or Michigan Stadium.

It will never be Canada as long as they're their own country... They don't broadcast Versus/NBC there just like we don't broadcast TSN/CBC, and NBC gets $0 broadcasting revenue from a game being played in Canada.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#33 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

If the NHL were as popular as the NFL in this country, the league would share the same view. With the NHL still trying to establish itself in the a place where it has more regional appeal, ratings are key.

Besides, I would bet none of us would have a problem if it were the Redwings hosting the game. I know I wouldn't.

Any Red Wings pub is good to me obviously, but from an overall perspective to other fans and teams involved, it still wouldn't make it right.

For anybody's info/interest these are pictures of Minnesota University's stadium if you've never seen in before or didn't watch one of the Vikings games that had to be played there due to their dome collapse last season, per to what I was referring to my first post here. Really nice venue it looks like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 14 May 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#34 Ozzy318

Ozzy318

Professional bear wrestler

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:40 PM

ok, now I am just throwing this out there to see what sticks, how about a match up of the stars versus the wild at TCF Bank Stadium (University of Minnesota's stadium). I have never been to it, but it looks beautiful. One sticking point, I can see is if they have natural turf. Michigan stadium didn't have the ability to host the Big Chill until field turf was installed.

#35 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

ok, now I am just throwing this out there to see what sticks, how about a match up of the stars versus the wild at TCF Bank Stadium (University of Minnesota's stadium). I have never been to it, but it looks beautiful. One sticking point, I can see is if they have natural turf. Michigan stadium didn't have the ability to host the Big Chill until field turf was installed.

Stars and Wild? The only teams that would be less successful would be Florida and Atlanta.

#36 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:20 PM

I called this matchup and I actually think it will be a very entertaining game. Whether or not they are deserving is another matter altogether.

works every time

#37 BitterBosh

BitterBosh

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:41 AM

I'm not really a warm weather hockey fan, but for some reason I can't help but think that, depending on what temperatures a hockey game could feasibly be played in, a game in a venue like the Coliseum in LA would be pretty interesting to watch. Got to admit, I'm a fan of the outdoor games, it's just a unique setting, I suppose, for an NHL game...
'98 '98 '02 '08

#38 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

The NHL is appealing to the large Eastern US markets. It's not hard to understand. I'll watch this one like I've watch all the previous ones because I love hockey and love outdoor games just as much. I don't care If the Penguins played the Penguins, I'd still watch it because i watch any hockey game. I guess the cool thing to do is bemoan how much you detest repeat teams or teams from the state of Pensylvania getting multiple WCs before some teams even get one. I did like the idea of having a Toronto/Detroit match up that featured back to back outdoor games. I remember hearing it from one of the Versus crew members and I would fully endorse that idea.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#39 BobRouse03

BobRouse03

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

Very confusing to me... What if the NFL is still striking too?

I would imagine the assumption is that the NFL will have a season and the NHL is smart enough to know they could never compete with the NFL's ratings on a Sunday. The Eagles are scheduled for a home game on January 1....so the game would have to take place at Citizens Bank Park. Im disappointed that Detroit will not participate in the Winter Classic, especially because i'd love to see behind the scenes on HBO. I'm glad Philly gets to host a game from a purely selfish reason. I live here and will more than likely be able to attend the game, so I'm happy about that; however a Detroit/Toronto game in Detroit would be amazing.

#40 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:15 AM

If you thought Boudreau swore a lot in 24/7, wait until they get a load of Torts.