• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Simple off-season post

Rate this topic

Sorry not getting Leino for 800K thats for sure. Although I would take that team in a heart beat

Well if Nick takes something like five million instead you add that to Leino.

Edited by MGreenberg

Guest blueadams

I actually really agree with this post. Bert isn't so bad as he still posseses good skils and shows he can skate at times i just feel Homer is really hurting this lineup because he hurts what the top line wants to do, but also hurts what third and 4th lines want to do. We need a big physical 3rd line center that has decent offense, and is a good shutdown man. We need a guy like Manny Malholtra- Not sure who plays like him that is available. Any suggestions?

I thought that Homer and Bert's inability to skate with the forwards on san jose's top lines really created a lot of openings for them; and I also thought that their lack of open-ice playmaking skills killed pav, hank, mule and co. at times. If I'm Babs, I'm burrying both on the 4th line next season...saving Homer for the PP...and hoping that Bert drops the gloves more often. Then I'm not resigning either after next season.

Edited by blueadams

Knowing Philly can't sign Leino do you think they would take his rights for Hudler on draft day?

I don't know if any team would want Hudler right now, lol. But if the Wings could swap and get Leino back, it would be an improvement.

Even though it's pretty saddening to think about right after the season ends...here's my dream, absolutely unrealistic roster for next season.

1. ) Trade Hudler for a bag of pucks.

2.) Let Ericsson, Miller and Modano go. (I like Miller, but I think Emmerton and Mursak can't clear waivers anymore. And I don't think Miller's shown quite enough to warrant giving up either of those two guys)

3.) Lidstrom doesn't retire. And he takes a nice discount to stay for $4.75M. How insulting is it that Rafalski would make over a million more in this case? But, I don't Nick would care.

4.) Let Osgood return as back-up if he wants to. I think we owe him that much. Draper can come back if he understands he may be in a Maltby type situation. Both of them can take $650K to help out the team.

5.) Resign Eaves for a few years at around $950K.

6.) Add a cheap veteran defenseman for $750K. I wouldn't be totally against it being Salei again.

Now for the unrealistic parts....

7.) Sign injury-prone Simon Gagne to a one year $5.75M deal. I don't think he'll leave Tampa and Yzerman or be willing to take a one-year deal, but I would kick the tires if he hits free agency. Maybe he'll make a Hossa-like contract decision and actually show up for our playoffs. He's always had rotten luck with injuries, but I think he would fit nicely in our top six with his speed and great defensive play. He could work well on Datsyuk or Zetterberg's wing and maybe revive some of the goal scoring ability he had with Forsberg.

8.) Sign Kevin Bieksa to a multi-year deal at $4.5M per. Either VAN resigns him or other teams will probably dramatically overpay. But, if he's willing to come here for around $4.5, it may be worth it with Rafalski's contract coming off the books after next season.

This would leave the lineup as follows.

FORWARDS

Simon Gagne ($5.750m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.950m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

/ Kris Draper ($0.650m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.750m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.500m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Veteran ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.650m)

The total cap hit would be a shade over 63 million. So this dream would assume the cap jumps to at least $63.5 million

I would give Hudler the ultimatum, work hard in the first few games of next season or watch from the presser until he can be traded, or his contract is up. When he isn't floating he has the talent to be a difference maker, but again he actually has to be not floating. As I have said in other threads the wings need to sure up the second line (either getting a center and moving Flip to wing, or getting a good winger) and keeping D and Z together, and getting a good defenseman like Wiz or Joni Pik to give the wings a lot of options for D pairings and a bit more leeway for Lids (who will be coming back, but will play less minutes).

Assuming Modano,Ericsson, and Salei are gone, Hudler gets traded (Pretty please),and Draper takes a pay cut to stick around:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Helm-Eaves

Abdelkader-Draper-X

-Mursak

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

X-X

Brendan Smith isn't ready for the NHL yet. Give him at least one more year in Grand Rapids and see how he progresses. As far as 3rd pairing defensemen go, Matt Greene, Shane O'Brien, James Wisniewski, Bryan Allen, Marc Methot, Jim Vandermeer, Niklas Grossman, and Sheldon Brookbank are guys that come to mind for solid options.

I think a big problem in the San Jose series was our inability to win draws. A cheap 4th liner like Zenon Konopka could help us out in a few departments.

What are your guys opinion of Maxime Talbot and Pascal Dupuis? (they are both UFA's)

I'd like to Wisniewski to come in Salei's place, maybe another cheaper vet to take Ericsson's place, then have Smith on board. I am not sure I am sold on Kindl, if you could package him and Hudler for some help or even draft picks, that would be fine with me...

Then again I heard about a trade rumor involving HUdler and Ericsson to Atlanta, but I forgot who it was for in return...

What are your guys opinion of Maxime Talbot and Pascal Dupuis? (they are both UFA's)

I'd like to Wisniewski to come in Salei's place, maybe another cheaper vet to take Ericsson's place, then have Smith on board. I am not sure I am sold on Kindl, if you could package him and Hudler for some help or even draft picks, that would be fine with me...

Then again I heard about a trade rumor involving HUdler and Ericsson to Atlanta, but I forgot who it was for in return...

Not really a fan of those two, not just because they are Penguins but I think that there are better players available. I wouldn't mind dropping Ericsson for Wisnieski and the Ericsson/Hudler to Atlanta was for Zach Bogosian.

Brad Richards, Brooks Laich, Alex Tanguay, Michael Ryder (if he takes a nice hair cut), James Wisniewski, Joni Pitkanen, Alex Auld.

This is the list of players I could see fitting into the wings nicely and adding something they lack. Obviously not all of them, but, 1-2 could really help in my mind.

Laich, Ryder and Wiz all fill a need and could be affordable. Laich would give us fantastic center depth, Ryder is a pure trigger man which we could use more of, plus with Datsyuk feeding him 30 goals is not impossible. And then Wiz is a mean defenceman who's great on the PP and can move the puck. I'd be in favor :siren:

Guest blueadams

I can't believe so many want Leino back. The guy is not a hard worker, has trouble focusing, and pretty much hates (or at least really dislikes) Detroit. Recipe for disaster.

hudler would be putting up the exact same numbers in philly, maybe better - playing with stars, floating around, not having to play d.

That's a big NO on Talbot. He's a classless punk and a total diver. Definitely not Red Wings material.

Edited by Grateful Gadsby

If the cap goes up $5m+ I'd look to shore up the defense in preparation for Nick's eventual retirement.

Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, Wisniewski, White, Bieksa, Babchuk...some nice options this year, then the year after you got Burns, Wideman, Boychuk, Suter.

UFA forwards suck this year, aside from Richards. The few mid-tier guys will probably be way overpaid, especially if the cap does go up a lot. I'd take a flier on Zherdev or Frolov if they were willing to play for dirt cheap, but beyond that might as well stand pat. Maybe save a little and make a deadline move, or if we can get a good deal package Flip + something for a good sniper, preferably a center (though goal-scoring centers are hard to come by).

Guest blueadams

OFF-SEASON:

#1) Modano(1.8m, *FA*)...+1.8m...+1.8m total salary cap space.

#2) Draper(1.6m, *FA*)...+1.6m...+3.4m total salary cap space.

#3) Eaves(0.8m, *FA*)...+0.8m...+4.2m total salary cap space.

#4) Miller(0.7m, *FA*)...+0.7m...+4.9m total salary cap space.

#5) Lidstrom(6.2m, *FA*)...+6.2m...+11.1m total salary cap space.

#6) Salei(1.1m, *FA*)...+1.1m...+12.2m total salary cap space.

#7) Ericsson(0.9m, *FA*)...+0.9m...+13.1m total salary cap space.

#8) Osgood(1.4m, *FA*)...+1.4m...+14.5m total salary cap space.

#9) MacDonald(0.6m, *FA*)...+0.6m...+15.1m total salary cap space.

#1) Mursak(0.6m, 2yrs)...He's going to be added to the roster...-0.6m...14.5m total salary cap space.

#2) Janik(0.5m, 1yr)...He's going to be added to the roster...-0.5m...14.0m total salary cap space.

#3) Lidstrom(6.2m, ?)...He's probably going to be brought back, at around the same price...-6.2m...8.3m total salary cap space.

#4) Ericsson(0.9m, *FA*)...It sounds like we want him back at 2.0m a season, but he thinks he might get more. He'll either be back, or replaced by someone at around the same price...-2.0m...6.3m total salary cap space.

#5) Backup goalie?(0.5m, ?)...I don't know who the backup goalie's going to be (Osgood/MacDonald/Larsson), but he should be making around league minimum...-0.5m-ish...5.8m total salary cap space.

...This is where things get interesting, and where the speculation begins: There's going to be about 5.8m available in salary cap space (maybe 5-6m more if the salary cap increase rumors are true), and two forwards left to sign.

*If I'm Holland, I'm spending the larger part of that remaining cap space on an elite top six scorer, and the remainder on Eaves (or a more physical player, at about the same price).

2011/2012 Detroit Red Wings:

FORWARDS:

#1) Datsyuk(6.7m, 3yrs)

#2) Zetterberg(6.1m, 10yrs)

#3) *?*(5.0m-ish, ?)

#4) Franzen(4.0m, 9yrs)

#5) Filppula(3.0m, 2yrs)

#6) Hudler(2.9m, 1yr)

#7) Cleary(2.8m, 2yrs)

#8) Bertuzzi(1.9m, 1yr)

#9) Holmstrom(1.9m, 1yr)

#10) Helm(0.9m, 1yr-RFA)

#11) Abdelkader(0.8m, 1yr-RFA)

#12) *Eaves/*?*(0.8m-ish, ?)

#13) Mursak(0.6m, 2yrs)

Filppula-Datsyuk-Franzen

Hudler-Zetterberg-*?*

Cleary-Helm-Eaves

Holmstrom-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi

Mursak

DEFENSEMEN:

#1) *Lidstrom(6.2m-ish, ?)

#2) Rafalski(6.0m, 1yr)

#3) Stuart(3.8m, 1yr)

#4) Kronwall(3.0m, 1yr)

#5) *Ericssson/*?*(2.0m-ish, ?)

#6) Kindl(0.9m, 2yrs)

#7) Janik(0.5m, 1yr)

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Kindl-Ericsson

Janik

GOALIES:

#1) Howard(2.3m, 2yrs)

#2) *Osgood/MacDonald/Larsson/*?*(0.5m, ?)

Howard

Larsson (I hope)

I edited/improved the original post. I'm just going to continue to do so throughout the rest of the off-season...as opposed to starting 20 different off-season threads.

with a bit of dealing by Kenny;

Franzen Zetterberg Jakub Voracek

Bertuzzi Datsyuk Cleary

Lauri Korpikoski Filppula Eaves

Abdelkader Helm Mursak

Holmstrom

Kronwall Zach Bogosian

Lidstrom Rafalski

Stuart Kindl

Smith.

Howard Larsson

Gone in trades or not re-signed ; Hudler Ericsson Draper Modano Salei Osgood Miller

Guest Grayne Wetzky

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.870m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Drew Miller ($0.650m)

Joakim Andersson ($0.875m) / Dick Axelsson ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Ruslan Salei ($1.100m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Logan Pyett ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Thomas McCollum ($0.816m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $51,191,210; BONUSES: $472,500

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $8,208,790

Guest blueadams

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Logan Pyett ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

Dude...

#1) Rafalski has a no-trade clause, he's not going anywhere.

#2) McCollum is nowhere near being ready for the NHL.

#3) And the rest of your post is too insane to respond to.

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

Logan Pyett ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

No offense, but that looks awful unless you are talking years down the road and Nick is still playing. Don't know how you get rid of Rafalski since he has an NTC and no way Detroit plays all of those young forwards unless Datsyuk and Z carry the team with about 100 points each. The Wings wouldn't even make the playoffs with that team. Sorry just being honest.

Edited by MGreenberg

Filppula - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Bertuzzi

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

Abdelkader - Emmerton - Mursak

(Axelsson/Miller)

Lidstrom - Ericsson

Kronwall - Kindl

Stuart - Rafalski

(Salei, Pyett, I don't care)

Howard

Osgood/Larsson

:thumbup:

Not that I don't like this but it's basically the same team who got bounced 2 years in a row by the Sharks. No thanks. Us keeping the same team = same results in the playoffs, no Cup. We need one younger hungrier gritty defenseman and the same for (maybe) a top six forward. I like Mursak and he's ready imo but is Emmerton really ready yet probably not. I like Eaves I really do but I think maybe Holland can find someone a bit better I don't know. Lots of questions for next season seemingly having the same roster.

If we have the same team anyone honestly think we can go deep next year in the playoffs. I don't see it happening.... :thumbdown:

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Not that I don't like this but it's basically the same team who got bounced 2 years in a row by the Sharks. No thanks. Us keeping the same team = same results in the playoffs, no Cup. We need one younger hungrier gritty defenseman and the same for (maybe) a top six forward. I like Mursak and he's ready imo but is Emmerton really ready yet probably not. I like Eaves I really do but I think maybe Holland can find someone a bit better I don't know. Lots of questions for next season seemingly having the same roster.

If we have the same team anyone honestly think we can go deep next year in the playoffs. I don't see it happening.... :thumbdown:

As I have said a MILLION TIMES now, next season is the 'suck it up' season, as we have final seasons of Bertuzzi, Rafalski and Holmstrom.

The following season we see Tatar, maybe Jarnkrok, maybe Pulkkinen, Lidstrom likely retires and we spend big in free agency.

As far as I can see, this season there's not a lot of changes we can make. Minor changes such as bringing in Mursak and maybe Emmerton will help, but on top of that, what more can we do/would you like to see?

Knowing Philly can't sign Leino do you think they would take his rights for Hudler on draft day?

That's a stupid trade. First of all, Leino is less talented than Hudler, but has been given a better opportunity in a weaker conference. Remember how well Leino performed as a Wing? Beyond that, Leino is a UFA this summer. So you're basically willing to give up a talented offensive player for the chance to sign a different one who had better season totals before anyone else gets that same chance?

Not a deal I'd make. Especially given that Leino will probably get a deal at or above Hudler's current cap hit.