• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
P. Marlowe

Beautiful goal in the Worlds

Rate this topic

Am I the only one who doesn't care for Lacrosse style goals? I just don't see the point, if you want to play lacrosse play lacrosse. The puck is meant to be shot.

Oh well, if you like it that is great. I just never want to see the NHL turn into a bunch of people trying to look cool and score goals with tricks rather than skills.

LOL @ the "meh" comments. To pull that one off in the WC Semi Final when the game is 0-0 is kinda like the catch here if you get it. It's not the same to do it in practice or in some college game. Of course the goal itself was amazing, but it was more about the situation. It just takes nerves to do that, which Granlund has.

It was a very cool goal, had an awesome moment because it happened basically the same second I tuned into the game for the first time. As for the "showing off" vs. "just getting the job done", I don't see how this isn't an effective strategy when you can pull it off. Plays from behind the net when your team has no presence at the front are all very low %age plays, so might as well try to score. The risks are small (except the risk of looking like an idiot of course) and the potential payoff is huge. Obviously this isn't something you try to do every game but I don't see why "too flashy" goals are somehow worse than any other goal.

I can definitely see Granlund having a bright future in the NHL. Kinda wish he was ours but we do too well to ever get these top picks :rolleyes: Then again we already have Pulkkinen and Ironhook coming in the "skillful euros" category so I'd even more like to see some big physical D-men.

IIHF rule: "No goal can be scored when the puck is high sticked into the net with a stick of the attacking team where the point on the stick where the puck hit the stick is above the height of the crossbar and the puck was propelled into the net."

NHL rule: "When the puck has entered the net after making contact with an attacking player’s stick that is above the height of the crossbar. Where the puck makes contact with the stick is the determining factor."

Same rule, and the goal was reviewed and found legal so this should fly in the NHL too. Basically impossible to score this kind of goal illegally actually, because if your stick is above the crossbar at the last point of contact the puck logically has to hit the crossbar or go over it as well.

Am I the only one who doesn't care for Lacrosse style goals? I just don't see the point, if you want to play lacrosse play lacrosse. The puck is meant to be shot.

Oh well, if you like it that is great. I just never want to see the NHL turn into a bunch of people trying to look cool and score goals with tricks rather than skills.

Do they even play lacrosse in Finland?

Yes, but it's definitely not very popular. There is about ten teams' lacrosse league in Finland.

There is? Never heard of that.

What I do know is that handball is getting more popular here especially among Finnish Swedes. There are two great teams I know called the ***** and the Dicken.. Kinda cool IMO.

Edited by Finnish Wing

The puck is meant to go in the net, not just to be shot.

Haha sweet goal. Pretty impressive to do it on the fly. Corsby and Legg accomplished it while having all the time in the world. Plus, doing it in an international hockey game is way different than a college game or doing it against 15-19 year olds.