• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Death Warrant

Derek Boogaard found dead

Rate this topic

Someone beat me to this, and I have no idea how to delete it or close it, so if someone smarter than me would do it, I'd be grateful. My apologies for duplication.

Edited by Kira

How incredibly sad. He was a part of Pasha's summer hockey camp in Russia for a couple years. I hope to find some more information on this.

Guest Save The Octopus

This is a huge shock. 28 years old is way too young.

Boogaard was the prototypical goon, but I will always remember a fight he got in with Darcy Hordichuk. Hordichuk's sweater tore and it pulled over his head during their fight. Hordichuk was totally blind. Boogaard had free rein to tune Hordichuk up real good, but he stopped throwing punches and nodded at the linesmen to come in. That was when my opinion of him did a 180 degree turn.

Boogaard couldn't skate, he couldn't score, he couldn't do much of anything except be a good team-mate and fight, but he was a decent human being.

RIP Boogey.

“Derek was an extremely kind and caring individual,” said New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather. “He was a very thoughtful person, who will be dearly missed by all those who knew him. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates during this difficult time.”

Boogaard began his NHL career with Minnesota and appeared in 255 career games with the Wild from 2005-06 – 2009-10. He joined the New York Rangers on July 1, 2010, appearing in 22 games in the 2010-11 season.

Throughout his career, Boogaard sought to make a difference in the communities he played in, taking part in numerous charitable endeavors. Boogaard was a supporter of the Defending the Blue Line Foundation, a non-profit charitable foundation whose mission is to ensure that children of military members are afforded every opportunity to participate in the great sport of hockey.

While with the Rangers, he created “Boogaard’s Booguardians,” hosting military members and their families at all New York Ranger home games. In addition, he made multiple appearances with partner organizations of the Garden of Dreams Foundation, the non-profit charity that works closely with all areas of Madison Square Garden, including the New York Knicks, Rangers, Liberty, MSG Media, MSG Entertainment and Fuse “to make dreams come true for kids facing obstacles”.

The Saskatoon, Saskatchewan native was originally Minnesota’s seventh round choice, 202nd overall, in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

http://rangers.nhl.c...vid=DL|NYR|home

RIP

Russotwib tweet from Niklas Backstrom on Derek Boogaard: "Unreal guy. Just a really big teddy bear. Outside the rink, he didn't want bad for anyone."

Edited by darkmanx

Could this possibly be concussion related? I sure hope not.

Very doubtful this long after the injury I think. Not trying to be funny at all, but I don't think death is a common side effect of concussion this long after the fact.

Very doubtful this long after the injury I think. Not trying to be funny at all, but I don't think death is a common side effect of concussion this long after the fact.

RIght now there's no cause of death in the news - I certainly hope it wasn't suicide.

For someone his age my best guesses are underlying heart problems or drug addiction, either way, I feel bad for his family and I send them my sympathy.

Guest Shoreline

RIP.

The news of this just came out.. let the developments happen to figure out what caused it.

I was aware of the charity he was involved in, which is what makes this sad. Enforcer/goon or not, a good guy and way too young.

Edited by Shoreline

Living in Wild territory, I developed a liking for the guy. Would have loved to have seen him on our side.

He used to sponsor a fight camp to teach kids how to defend themselves if they were in a fight.

RIP, and condolences to his friends and family.

Edited by 55fan

Sad stuff. Just yesterday a Left Tackle for Alabama named Aaron Douglas was found dead in Jacksonville, FL. Kid had some problems and there's rumors that it was drug related but no official word yet.

Either sad to see anyone, let alone someone in their 20s, being found dead.