• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Death Warrant

Derek Boogaard found dead

Rate this topic

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

looks like we'll have to wait a couple of weeks to determine the cause of his tragic death :(

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365701

It may be weeks before authorities know exactly how and why New York Rangers enforcer Derek Boogaard died, although foul play is not immediately suspected. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner was conducting an autopsy Saturday. County spokeswoman Carol Allis said authorities probably wouldn't release results for at least two weeks.

Minneapolis police Sgt. Bill Palmer said authorities received a report of a man not breathing shortly before 6:15 p.m. Friday. Minneapolis fire officials were the first to arrive and determined he was dead.

Palmer said authorities do not suspect foul play at this point, but the police department's homicide unit and the medical examiner's office are both investigating. Palmer said the medical examiner will determine the final cause of death.

"I don't think we have any answers as to what happened or why it happened," Ron Salcer, Boogaard's agent, said Saturday.

Allis said in cases where there are no obvious signs of physical trauma or an obvious immediate cause of death, it can take time for authorities to receive results of laboratory tests. Allis added that the medical examiner's office doesn't anticipate that it will release preliminary autopsy findings until all results are in.

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Sergei Zholtok. Also, I recall one player commiting a suicide. I think he was from Eastern Europe and maybe played for the Rangers, can't remember his name.

edit: Found this: List of ice hockey players who died during their playing career

edit2: The Ranger player from Easter Europe was Roman Lyashenko. Why always the Rangers?

...thats a sad list.

Don't remember seeing him play, I am sure I have against the Wings, but just don't recall. I do know that every off season, his name flew around LGW as someone Holland should get, so that tells me he was respected and that just means he was a good person. RIP Mr. Boogaard, tell Bobby Probert we all say Hi!

What horrific news :( I always dreamed of seeing him in a Winged Wheel. One of the few enforcers who's name on the roster list was enough to enforce the opposition without actually doing anything.

28 is far too young. What horrific news :(

I've been working all weekend, and while on my break I saw this. My thoughts and prayers go out to Boogaard's family. Regardless of people's opinions on his role in the game, he will be missed. Just a tragedy. Sad day in the hockey world. One of the few pure goons in the league. Although he was ferocious on the ice, i've heard nothing but great things about him off the ice. You will be missed, Derek.

He may not have been a good hockey player but damn I haven't heard one bad thing about this guy off the ice. I feel terrible for his family and friends. The hockey world just lost a great teammate and the world just lost an amazing human being.

Rest in peace boogy man :(

All I can say is Bruin's fans should be ashamed of themselves. During the moment of silence before the Bolt's/B's game last night, a bunch of them were being loud and booing. Disrespectful and completely wrong. Have some damn class. :thumbdown:

Guest Shoreline

All I can say is Bruin's fans should be ashamed of themselves. During the moment of silence before the Bolt's/B's game last night, a bunch of them were being loud and booing. Disrespectful and completely wrong. Have some damn class. :thumbdown:

I was watching this and I didn't hear much booing at all from CBC's broadcast, though if I did hear boo's from a couple individuals I might think it had something to do with giving respect to his name more so than actually booing him. I mean I've seen some pretty dumb stuff from fans, but this seems a bit below even Bruins' standards.

Edit: Here's one feed.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2PNYtmwzs4

Edited by Shoreline

Just heard a portion of a phone interview with Georges Laraque on Sportsnet.

He said: "not many people know, but Boogaard was cleared to play before the end of the season but the team told him to take the rest of the year off."

He also said: "the coach was not a big fan of his and he was depressed about that."

I'm not speculating. I'm simply repeating what I heard from a reputable source (Sportsnet).

Edited by Chairman Maouth

Just heard a portion of a phone interview with Georges Laraque on Sportsnet.

He said: "not many people know, but Boogaard was cleared to play before the end of the season but the team told him to take the rest of the year off."

He also said: "the coach was not a big fan of his and he was depressed about that."

I'm not speculating. I'm simply repeating what I heard from a reputable source (Sportsnet).

That's very interesting. There's a number of things that could have played a role in his passing. Has Torts said anything about it?

That's very interesting. There's a number of things that could have played a role in his passing. Has Torts said anything about it?

Not on Sportsnet. But I figured this might be getting some attention so I just Googled "Laraque + Boogaard" for news. Came up with this. Haven't read it yet.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/16/laraque-blasts-rangers-for-handling-of-boogaard

edit: another: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/former-enforcer-georges-laraque-sounds-off-on-rangers-handling-of-derek-boogaard/

Edited by Chairman Maouth

Not on Sportsnet. But I figured this might be getting some attention so I just Googled "Laraque + Boogaard" for news. Came up with this. Haven't read it yet.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/16/laraque-blasts-rangers-for-handling-of-boogaard

edit: another: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/16/former-enforcer-georges-laraque-sounds-off-on-rangers-handling-of-derek-boogaard/

I don't want to see this get ugly. It's a tragedy, and nobody should be pointing fingers at anyone right now.

Laraque is a media *****. He needs to keep his big yapper shut. This insinuation does nothing to help anyone to move forward after a tragic loss.

Maybe Torts didn't like him. Didn't see him fitting with the way the team was playing. Maybe the Rangers were looking to move him in the off-season and thought by shutting him down for the season it would be better than putting him back on the ice in a limited role with the chance that he might get injured again.

Whether ANY of it is true or not, spouting off like this does nothing to help except keep Laraque in the mix.

I mean, next thing he'll be saying will be along the lines of "Sather's relieved to be free of Derek's 1.6 million cap hit."

He's an ass, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

RIP Derek.

Your fans in Minny and around the world already miss your presence.

Guest Shoreline

Laraque is a media *****. He needs to keep his big yapper shut. This insinuation does nothing to help anyone to move forward after a tragic loss.

Maybe Torts didn't like him. Didn't see him fitting with the way the team was playing. Maybe the Rangers were looking to move him in the off-season and thought by shutting him down for the season it would be better than putting him back on the ice in a limited role with the chance that he might get injured again.

Whether ANY of it is true or not, spouting off like this does nothing to help except keep Laraque in the mix.

I mean, next thing he'll be saying will be along the lines of "Sather's relieved to be free of Derek's 1.6 million cap hit."

He's an ass, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

RIP Derek.

Your fans in Minny and around the world already miss your presence.

I agree. Laraque needs to shut the f*** up. In his case whatever attention he gets will be much akin to the Bill O'Reilly say-a-bunch-of-stupid-s*** method. I can understand why they wouldn't play Boogaard as the playoffs approach and get underway, but he's pitching a tantrum over nothing.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Is there any news on the cause of death?

There is an autopsy being done. Coroner's and Police are investigating, Results in 2 weeks or more (from time of death).

With the size he was I wonder if there was an underlying heart condition, kinda like Jiri Fischer's case? I don't pretend to know, and I'll be interested in the autopsy results. But I do like the fact that his family has asked that donations be made to help military families. That's very classy.