• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#61 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:41 AM

All I can say is Bruin's fans should be ashamed of themselves. During the moment of silence before the Bolt's/B's game last night, a bunch of them were being loud and booing. Disrespectful and completely wrong. Have some damn class. :thumbdown:

I was watching this and I didn't hear much booing at all from CBC's broadcast, though if I did hear boo's from a couple individuals I might think it had something to do with giving respect to his name more so than actually booing him. I mean I've seen some pretty dumb stuff from fans, but this seems a bit below even Bruins' standards.

Edit: Here's one feed.:

Edited by Shoreline, 16 May 2011 - 01:41 AM.

#62 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:47 AM

A character guy, no doubt.

This is sad. :(

#63 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 09:41 AM

Another young guy passing away, RIP Boogaard.. Saw that his family is donating his brain to science :thumbup:
IPB Image

#64 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

Arguably the most feared enforcer in the game today. RIP Boogaard
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#65 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 10:43 PM

I really hope they weren't booing him.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#66 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:48 AM

Just heard a portion of a phone interview with Georges Laraque on Sportsnet.

He said: "not many people know, but Boogaard was cleared to play before the end of the season but the team told him to take the rest of the year off."

He also said: "the coach was not a big fan of his and he was depressed about that."

I'm not speculating. I'm simply repeating what I heard from a reputable source (Sportsnet).

Edited by Chairman Maouth, 17 May 2011 - 12:53 AM.

It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#67 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:58 AM

Just heard a portion of a phone interview with Georges Laraque on Sportsnet.

He said: "not many people know, but Boogaard was cleared to play before the end of the season but the team told him to take the rest of the year off."

He also said: "the coach was not a big fan of his and he was depressed about that."

I'm not speculating. I'm simply repeating what I heard from a reputable source (Sportsnet).

That's very interesting. There's a number of things that could have played a role in his passing. Has Torts said anything about it?

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#68 Chairman Maouth

Chairman Maouth

Canadian Insurgent

• Gold Booster
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:11 AM

That's very interesting. There's a number of things that could have played a role in his passing. Has Torts said anything about it?

Not on Sportsnet. But I figured this might be getting some attention so I just Googled "Laraque + Boogaard" for news. Came up with this. Haven't read it yet.

http://www.torontosu...ing-of-boogaard

edit: another: http://prohockeytalk...derek-boogaard/

Edited by Chairman Maouth, 17 May 2011 - 01:14 AM.

It's better to be considered temporarily insane than permanently stupid.

#69 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:28 AM

Not on Sportsnet. But I figured this might be getting some attention so I just Googled "Laraque + Boogaard" for news. Came up with this. Haven't read it yet.

http://www.torontosu...ing-of-boogaard

edit: another: http://prohockeytalk...derek-boogaard/

I don't want to see this get ugly. It's a tragedy, and nobody should be pointing fingers at anyone right now.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#70 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

Laraque is a media *****. He needs to keep his big yapper shut. This insinuation does nothing to help anyone to move forward after a tragic loss.

Maybe Torts didn't like him. Didn't see him fitting with the way the team was playing. Maybe the Rangers were looking to move him in the off-season and thought by shutting him down for the season it would be better than putting him back on the ice in a limited role with the chance that he might get injured again.
Whether ANY of it is true or not, spouting off like this does nothing to help except keep Laraque in the mix.

I mean, next thing he'll be saying will be along the lines of "Sather's relieved to be free of Derek's 1.6 million cap hit."
He's an ass, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

RIP Derek.
Your fans in Minny and around the world already miss your presence.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#71 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

His brain will be donated for research.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#72 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:41 AM

Laraque is a media *****. He needs to keep his big yapper shut. This insinuation does nothing to help anyone to move forward after a tragic loss.

Maybe Torts didn't like him. Didn't see him fitting with the way the team was playing. Maybe the Rangers were looking to move him in the off-season and thought by shutting him down for the season it would be better than putting him back on the ice in a limited role with the chance that he might get injured again.
Whether ANY of it is true or not, spouting off like this does nothing to help except keep Laraque in the mix.

I mean, next thing he'll be saying will be along the lines of "Sather's relieved to be free of Derek's 1.6 million cap hit."
He's an ass, so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

RIP Derek.
Your fans in Minny and around the world already miss your presence.

I agree. Laraque needs to shut the f*** up. In his case whatever attention he gets will be much akin to the Bill O'Reilly say-a-bunch-of-stupid-s*** method. I can understand why they wouldn't play Boogaard as the playoffs approach and get underway, but he's pitching a tantrum over nothing.

#73 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

Is there any news on the cause of death?

#74 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 10:48 PM

Is there any news on the cause of death?

There is an autopsy being done. Coroner's and Police are investigating, Results in 2 weeks or more (from time of death).

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#75 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

With the size he was I wonder if there was an underlying heart condition, kinda like Jiri Fischer's case? I don't pretend to know, and I'll be interested in the autopsy results. But I do like the fact that his family has asked that donations be made to help military families. That's very classy.
Posted Image

#76 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 683 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:57 PM

I really hope they weren't booing him.

Ditto. I'm going to cling to my faith in humanity and, like the poster above me, chalk this one up to them chanting part of his name.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#77 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:38 PM

I would be surprised to see if his autopsy results (details) would be made public. I think the only way they will is if it had a connection to the concussions, which seems unlikely.

My guess for now is suicide with some sort of drugs/alcohol involved, which is really unfortunate. This seems to be a common theme with people suffering from extreme depression.

EDIT: I hope it doesnt seem inappropriate to speculate what happened, im just speaking from personal experiences when I say that. And by details I mean if it was suicide how it happened. Really, really sad to think about....

Edited by Din758, 19 May 2011 - 01:43 PM.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#78 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,154 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

I would be surprised to see if his autopsy results (details) would be made public. I think the only way they will is if it had a connection to the concussions, which seems unlikely.

My guess for now is suicide with some sort of drugs/alcohol involved, which is really unfortunate. This seems to be a common theme with people suffering from extreme depression.

There's a correlation between concussions and depressions in athletes. So if they do find evidence of concussions, it definitely could have been a factor if he also was suffering from major depression.

#79 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

Death records are public in the U.S. (as are SSN's on death records), so I'm not too sure about autopsies being private too. Even if it were, it would be to a very small degree, because someone with special interest, say, family/children/spouse/ex spouses could easily get copies of it and hand it to the media.

I'm positive the cause of death will be published soon enough, so just a matter of patience.

Edited by Shoreline, 19 May 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#80 96warrior

96warrior

3rd Line Checker

• HoF Booster
  • 499 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

From Michael Russo of the Star Tribune, via Twitter:

Derek Boogaard’s manner of death is accidental mixture of alcohol and oxycodone toxicity - per Hennepin Cty ME