• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

Couple of very interesting things to be found in this article...

My link

The Red Wings will have a tough decision on whether to re-sign longtime role player and team leader Kris Draper, who turns 40 in 10 days but wants to continue playing. Future Hall of Famer Mike Modano will retire. If that wasn’t clear before the playoffs, it was evident after he was scratched in nine of 11 games.

Jonathan Ericsson and Ruslan Salei could be gone.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Ericsson turned down a multiyear offer worth $2 million a season. He improved this season but hasn’t been nearly as effective as he was during his breakout performance in the 2009 playoffs.

Geez Ericsson, how good do you think you are mate? You have size but don't use it, you skate well but don't really utilise it. You don't have great hockey sense which results in too many turnovers.

As for Draper, I know everything in our past suggests Holland will re-sign him for one more year, but is it time we start making the tough call, without emotions playing a part?

Ken Holland: He’s (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, he’s a puck hound.

#2 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:48 AM

Ericsson needs to go. Plain and simple. If he gets re-signed, I will begin to start having serious doubts about Holland. How many years do we have to wait for this guy who was never a defenseman in the first place to develop? It's getting ridiculous, the amount of golden opportunities this kid gets to stink up the ice.

Edited by Broken 16, 14 May 2011 - 09:51 AM.

#3 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:03 AM

I was for E being re-signed, but I don't support him getting 2mill+ from the Wings. At that rate, I'd be fine with him walking.

#4 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:14 AM

2 mil for Ericcson? He is out of his mind if he thinks he's worth that much right now. I'm sure another team will be dumb enough to take him for that price.
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#5 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:19 AM

He TURNED DOWN a contract? lol... I was a big Ericsson supporter for awhile, but I think it's just too hard to defend him anymore. Bring in someone to pair with Kindl, and let him go. Also, I think Modano & Draper will be replaced by Emmerton and Mursak. Not sure they'll be looking to outside talent at forward.

#6 theman19

theman19

#40 Mobile suit Zeta, the new red comet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Big E is this close to being the next Lilja. He thought he was worth more too.

#7 South Dakota wings fan

South Dakota wings fan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:29 AM

It looks like E will be gone, and for that price I'm ok with it. I think bringing back both Draper and Miller is silly. I hope Eaves is back. I think he has good PK skills, I like the fact he has a right handed shot, and good hockey sense that helps him find the back of the net. Finding a solid defensemen and tightening things back up to the 2008 level of play is much needed. Howard answered my questions about goaltending. Filppula seems like the more likely trade candidate than Hudler to me, for the simple fact his stock is higher. Buy low, sell high.

#8 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

Kindl > E

Posted Image

#9 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:35 AM

I'd let him walk good rookie playoffs, but what has he done since? Maybe he will join Lilja out west. <_<
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#10 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:36 AM

Kindl > E

Kindl's value is in potential.

works every time

#11 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:00 AM

As far as defense goes who could actually replace E and Salie for about the same price? Kindl can come in for one but he is more offensive than shutdown which is what the Wings really need. Smith is another year away, his offensive game is beyond Kindl's IMO but he is not NHL defensively ready. Lidstrom will be the key as to what Holland will do. Once he makes his decision Holland will proceed with the other needs.

Forwards, I wouldn't mind getting rid of Flip and Hudler. Sure Flip finally decided to show up for the last two games of the SJ series but we needed him to show up for the entire series. Hudler was just a no show the entire playoffs. Bert and Homer should be done with after next season which I think will improve Detroit. Bert is a turnover machine with questionable passes at the worst possible time. Homer is just good on the PP while ZDH line isn't what it use to be. His time should be up this year but unfortunately we have him signed for next year, same goes for Bert.

Goalies- Finding someone to play 20-25 games for Howard should be the goal. As much as I love Ozzie we really need a stable backup goalie who will be around for more than one year.

#12 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

Big E is a good player idc what u say, ide like to see him in a wing uni over raffi even though he will still be here.

#13 CAredwingsfan91

CAredwingsfan91

I'm back!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

Kronwall and Weber as a top 2 pairings? IMAGINE getting hit by those guys on the blue line with your head down? actually imagine getting hit by their playoff beards for the next 20 years? :yowza:
You shook Sinatra's hand, you should know better.

#14 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:10 AM

Think E needs to talk to his countryman & former teammate Lilja about turning down offers from the Wings thinking he'll make more money somewhere else. Granted Brian Burke will probably turn around & sign him for $4m a year on a multi-year contract because another former Wings pylon worked out so well for him.

#15 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:18 AM

i can't remember who said it, but one of the studio guys on NHL on the fly thinks Ericsson can fetch $3+ million in free agency, and that's why the wings wont resign him

#16 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:22 AM

The Ericsson news is great news, even if you like the guy. We have problems defensively, but we also have a backlog there. Lidstrom stays, Rafalski can't be moved (and should stay anyway), Kronwall and Stuart are too good to part with, Ericsson, Salei, and Kindl. Kindl deserves a shot, Salei will probably be gone, but maybe not as he's a stable 6th defenseman. We couldn't really add anyone of value without losing one of our top four. With Ericsson gone Holland can pursue an extra defenseman, preferably a guy who is underpaid and performs in the playoffs. And Ericsson can go chase his "big contract" all next season. Win-win, right?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#17 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

i can't remember who said it, but one of the studio guys on NHL on the fly thinks Ericsson can fetch $3+ million in free agency, and that's why the wings wont resign him

I remember hearing that and couldn't stop laughing. $3-3.5 mil. Are you serious? Then I thought, " is he confusing him with Loui Eriksson"?

I could see another team offering him around what we offered, but then you think about Hjalmarson signing for $3.5 last year and wonder that he might get an offer. I don't know how long of terms we offered him, but $2 mil seems pretty realistic from what I've seen. I'm sure he'll get a contract from someone at that price.

#18 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:25 PM

Am I the only one in favor of bringing back Miller? Sure, he doesn't score much, but I like his defensive game. I still like him as our 13th forward, which would give Mursak and whoever else more playing time.

#19 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:28 PM

Ericsson probably saw how much Lebda got paid, and figured he deserved the same.

:lol:

I say Toronto signs him and pairs him with Lebda.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#20 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

He wants more then 2mil, great. That means he certainly wont be signed.

#NOMOREKINDL