• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Interesting article about possible changes

Rate this topic

Couple of very interesting things to be found in this article...

My link

The Red Wings will have a tough decision on whether to re-sign longtime role player and team leader Kris Draper, who turns 40 in 10 days but wants to continue playing. Future Hall of Famer Mike Modano will retire. If that wasn’t clear before the playoffs, it was evident after he was scratched in nine of 11 games.

Jonathan Ericsson and Ruslan Salei could be gone.

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound Ericsson turned down a multiyear offer worth $2 million a season. He improved this season but hasn’t been nearly as effective as he was during his breakout performance in the 2009 playoffs.

Geez Ericsson, how good do you think you are mate? You have size but don't use it, you skate well but don't really utilise it. You don't have great hockey sense which results in too many turnovers.

As for Draper, I know everything in our past suggests Holland will re-sign him for one more year, but is it time we start making the tough call, without emotions playing a part?

Ericsson needs to go. Plain and simple. If he gets re-signed, I will begin to start having serious doubts about Holland. How many years do we have to wait for this guy who was never a defenseman in the first place to develop? It's getting ridiculous, the amount of golden opportunities this kid gets to stink up the ice.

Edited by Broken 16

He TURNED DOWN a contract? lol... I was a big Ericsson supporter for awhile, but I think it's just too hard to defend him anymore. Bring in someone to pair with Kindl, and let him go. Also, I think Modano & Draper will be replaced by Emmerton and Mursak. Not sure they'll be looking to outside talent at forward.

It looks like E will be gone, and for that price I'm ok with it. I think bringing back both Draper and Miller is silly. I hope Eaves is back. I think he has good PK skills, I like the fact he has a right handed shot, and good hockey sense that helps him find the back of the net. Finding a solid defensemen and tightening things back up to the 2008 level of play is much needed. Howard answered my questions about goaltending. Filppula seems like the more likely trade candidate than Hudler to me, for the simple fact his stock is higher. Buy low, sell high.

As far as defense goes who could actually replace E and Salie for about the same price? Kindl can come in for one but he is more offensive than shutdown which is what the Wings really need. Smith is another year away, his offensive game is beyond Kindl's IMO but he is not NHL defensively ready. Lidstrom will be the key as to what Holland will do. Once he makes his decision Holland will proceed with the other needs.

Forwards, I wouldn't mind getting rid of Flip and Hudler. Sure Flip finally decided to show up for the last two games of the SJ series but we needed him to show up for the entire series. Hudler was just a no show the entire playoffs. Bert and Homer should be done with after next season which I think will improve Detroit. Bert is a turnover machine with questionable passes at the worst possible time. Homer is just good on the PP while ZDH line isn't what it use to be. His time should be up this year but unfortunately we have him signed for next year, same goes for Bert.

Goalies- Finding someone to play 20-25 games for Howard should be the goal. As much as I love Ozzie we really need a stable backup goalie who will be around for more than one year.

Think E needs to talk to his countryman & former teammate Lilja about turning down offers from the Wings thinking he'll make more money somewhere else. Granted Brian Burke will probably turn around & sign him for $4m a year on a multi-year contract because another former Wings pylon worked out so well for him.

The Ericsson news is great news, even if you like the guy. We have problems defensively, but we also have a backlog there. Lidstrom stays, Rafalski can't be moved (and should stay anyway), Kronwall and Stuart are too good to part with, Ericsson, Salei, and Kindl. Kindl deserves a shot, Salei will probably be gone, but maybe not as he's a stable 6th defenseman. We couldn't really add anyone of value without losing one of our top four. With Ericsson gone Holland can pursue an extra defenseman, preferably a guy who is underpaid and performs in the playoffs. And Ericsson can go chase his "big contract" all next season. Win-win, right?

i can't remember who said it, but one of the studio guys on NHL on the fly thinks Ericsson can fetch $3+ million in free agency, and that's why the wings wont resign him

I remember hearing that and couldn't stop laughing. $3-3.5 mil. Are you serious? Then I thought, " is he confusing him with Loui Eriksson"?

I could see another team offering him around what we offered, but then you think about Hjalmarson signing for $3.5 last year and wonder that he might get an offer. I don't know how long of terms we offered him, but $2 mil seems pretty realistic from what I've seen. I'm sure he'll get a contract from someone at that price.

Ericsson needs to go. Plain and simple. If he gets re-signed, I will begin to start having serious doubts about Holland. How many years do we have to wait for this guy who was never a defenseman in the first place to develop? It's getting ridiculous, the amount of golden opportunities this kid gets to stink up the ice.

Haven't you learned to trust in Holland yet?

And yes, Toronto will probably sign him.

I could see another team offering him around what we offered, but then you think about Hjalmarson signing for $3.5 last year and wonder that he might get an offer. I don't know how long of terms we offered him, but $2 mil seems pretty realistic from what I've seen. I'm sure he'll get a contract from someone at that price.

all you need is one GM out of 30 to be insane lol

Am I the only one in favor of bringing back Miller? Sure, he doesn't score much, but I like his defensive game. I still like him as our 13th forward, which would give Mursak and whoever else more playing time.

i'm in favor of Miller. great on the PK