• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Interesting article about possible changes

Rate this topic

they actually offered him $2 mil. per season????? that's got to be a ******* joke! and he has the balls to turn it down? wow! what do they see in this guy that we apparently don't?

i personally wouldn't take him back if he took the same amount he was getting this year.

Am I the only one in favor of bringing back Miller? Sure, he doesn't score much, but I like his defensive game. I still like him as our 13th forward, which would give Mursak and whoever else more playing time.

You're not the only one. The guy has been nothing but excellent for us, always giving his all. I think he's a lock for at the very least an extra forward. He's cheap, does well, and seems to be a good locker room guy.

The decision should be fairly simple. We really do not need Ericsson at all. Take the $2mil coupled with the cap increase and find a legitimate top 4 defenseman. Ehrhoff or Bieksa would be ideal. This would bump Stuart or whoever down to the bottom pairing. Kindl should be ready to be our #6, and there you go, our defense has been upgraded.

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Ehrhoff

Stuart/Kindl

For 2012, we will have $12million freed up from Lidstrom/Rafalski. Use some of that to give Kronwall a raise. Use a $6-7million chunk for Suter, Burns, or Weber. I think after another year in the AHL, Brendan Smith will be ready to be a #4 right away.

Kronwall/Ehrhoff

Suter/Smith

Stuart/Kindl

:lol:

I can't believe Ericsson would turn down a contract from the Wings. Especially one worth that much. Good Riddance.

Salei had some good games and some really bad games, so I'm not too disappointed that he's probably gone.

As far as Draper goes, I'd like if we didn't re-sign him because he obviously isn't good enough anymore to stay in our roster full time and it just seems like a waste of money. We have younger guys in the AHL that are capable of coming up if we have injuries. As much of a leader as Draper is, we have to start thinking about what's the best for the team ON the ice and start putting money into our future.

If I were Holland, I wouldn't just send Draper and Osgood packing. I'd really lean on them to re-sign, but with two way contracts. They can both still play, there's the loyalty factor, but due to roster space shriveling up we can't afford to sign them just to have them sit. But if they still think they can play and they don't want to uproot families for one more year somewhere else, mentoring Grand Rapids and filling in for the team would be utterly fantastic for everyone involved. It might ding their ego a little bit, but I think they would agree to it with a little convincing, since they simply love hockey and neither wants to leave Detroit (the city), not just the team.

EDIT: I know Grand Rapids is farther away, but it could be made to work much easier than, say, signing with LA or something.

Edited by VM1138

Glad he turned it down. I think his agent will be getting a phone call from Brian Burke, since I don't think he's learned sufficiently from the Lebda debacle.

I wouldn't be too averse to two-way contracts for Drapes and Ozzie, honestly. If there were two players that would be agreeable to that, I'd think it would be them.

Ericsson gets too much stick for a 6th Dman. Ericsson also is insane thinking he's worth more than $2mil a year.

I'd re-sign Ericsson at close to league minimum as a 6th/7th Dman. We lack size on the back end to just readily give him up. Get a decent defensive coach to get him playing properly.

A bit surprising for all that he HASN'T done. Don't get me wrong I think he has potential to be a good player. But not for that price tag. It's not like he was really chipping in and giving us great depth.

Bring on Kindl and Smith.

Hey Errorson, don't let the door hot ya in the a@# on the way out!! I think its time for Drapes and Ozzie to hang it up as well. I would try to move guys like Flip and Huds and yes, even Franzen. His contract is too long and he is not the player he use to be, I am sick and damn tired of the injuries and excuses with Mule and its time for a change. I see Salei somewhere else next year as well, but I would try to retain everyone else maybe let Miller walk too. We need to get bigger and tougher in the offseason. Its embrassing watching this team dumb and chase with guys like Huds and Flip and China Doll Franzen!

IF Holland signs Errorson to a multi year deal over 2 million per, I will be PISSED!!!!

Ericsson probably saw how much Lebda got paid, and figured he deserved the same.

:lol:

I say Toronto signs him and pairs him with Lebda.

So they can both be -3 in a 6-3 win?

That defensive pair would be great.

watching alot of tampa these playoffs and i would love for kenny to make eric brewer an offer this offseason..he brings a bit of offence and has been a stud defensivly.. and the only ufa's i would bring back would be eaves and obviously lids but wouldnt be disapointed to see miller back either

watching alot of tampa these playoffs and i would love for kenny to make eric brewer an offer this offseason..he brings a bit of offence and has been a stud defensivly.. and the only ufa's i would bring back would be eaves and obviously lids but wouldnt be disapointed to see miller back either

Miller is only ever on the bubble because he's a bit redundant on this team, not because he's disappointing the team in any way. I'm betting if there's room he's resigned in a heartbeat.

When did they offer him $2 million?

That's what I wonder, because after the craptacular season he had last year, I can't see Holland offering him that much. If anything his value went up this season because he stabilized his game. So I'm guessing the Wings made the offer sometime this season? But even then, $2 mill sounds like too much.

Ericsson gets too much stick for a 6th Dman. Ericsson also is insane thinking he's worth more than $2mil a year.

I'd re-sign Ericsson at close to league minimum as a 6th/7th Dman. We lack size on the back end to just readily give him up. Get a decent defensive coach to get him playing properly.

Agreed. I'd be shocked if he got more than $2 mill on the open market.

As for Draper, I've been a big fan over the years, and he had a pretty good season. But it's time. Yes he still does things that have value, but not enough to set himself apart from guys who are younger and have more upside.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Big E is this close to being the next Lilja. He thought he was worth more too.

If he turns down the Wings' offer he'll end up like Lilja with a lot less money. Do they have the same agent? :P

Goalies- Finding someone to play 20-25 games for Howard should be the goal. As much as I love Ozzie we really need a stable backup goalie who will be around for more than one year.

As much as I'd love to see Ozzie in net for another year, they can't wait until training camp to see how he's doing. They need to start looking for a back up for Howard. I think it's too risky to depend on Oz if he's not going to be able to play well enough to be the backup. He had so many setbacks with is recovery that I think they need to start looking at their options.

This is a great thread to talk about what I would do and what I think should be done and why I would have rather had Yzerman as our GM instead of Holland not that I'm positive that Stevey Y wouldn't do the same thing as Holland would do but anyways. Draper was a good quality player and maybe he still is. I felt he was fairly consistent this season and in the playoffs but this is time to start bringing in some youth; not that we don't need veterans but Draper is one player I think we could live without or replace with someone like him but is a bit younger. Ericsson is a player I would love to keep. I think in time that he could be a huge asset for the Wings and I understand that the Wings did offer him a deal and he declied it which I think is stupid. It's something I hope that young player would never do and let his play go to his head. Yes he's a good D-man or will be in a few years but he has to realize the situation and know that he isn't a #1 Star on a roster like this. If he wants to play for the money than he should go but if he wants to play for a team that is a good consistent consideration when the playoffs come to the a Cup contender you take the best deal you can and go with it. Anoher season or two and he may be more developed and once his contract would be offer maybe his play would have picked up enough that he can get more of the kind of deal that he wants. I hope we keep him because I really think this team needs to start getting younger. This team needs some type of Spark.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/05/analysis_what_changes_will_det.html

interesting...both in that we wanted to offer him a big contract like that, and that he wasn't interested in taking it.

EDIT - SORRY, didn't see that this was highlighted in another thread. please delete mods.

Personally, I'm surprised it was that much. I wouldn't think he should get more than $1.5M. Although as I thought about it more and more I bet you if this contract was actually offered it was similar to the Filppula deal (5 years, $10M) where Ericsson would grow into the deal. So I bet it was yr 1 $1.5M, yr 2 $1.75M, yr 3 $2M, yr 4 $2.25M, and yr 5$ 2.5M or something like that. I could see Holland doing that and banking on Ericsson reaching his potential. I would have been cool with Ericsson back at $1.5 for a year or two and been a little uneasy (but trusted the signing) about the type of contract I listed above but I've always felt Ericsson could reach his potential here but at this rate now I'd finally be ok with him going (if in fact that happens).

The decision should be fairly simple. We really do not need Ericsson at all. Take the $2mil coupled with the cap increase and find a legitimate top 4 defenseman. Ehrhoff or Bieksa would be ideal. This would bump Stuart or whoever down to the bottom pairing. Kindl should be ready to be our #6, and there you go, our defense has been upgraded.

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Ehrhoff

Stuart/Kindl

That's actually some what possible. ALthough I think I'd rather Bieksa. But I like the idea.

Personally, I'm surprised it was that much. I wouldn't think he should get more than $1.5M. Although as I thought about it more and more I bet you if this contract was actually offered it was similar to the Filppula deal (5 years, $10M) where Ericsson would grow into the deal. So I bet it was yr 1 $1.5M, yr 2 $1.75M, yr 3 $2M, yr 4 $2.25M, and yr 5$ 2.5M or something like that. I could see Holland doing that and banking on Ericsson reaching his potential. I would have been cool with Ericsson back at $1.5 for a year or two and been a little uneasy (but trusted the signing) about the type of contract I listed above but I've always felt Ericsson could reach his potential here but at this rate now I'd finally be ok with him going (if in fact that happens).

That's actually some what possible. ALthough I think I'd rather Bieksa. But I like the idea.

Bieksa may be a little out of reach after this run is done. Though it wouldve been nice.

Let's see how the hardball routine with the Wings is working out in early Sept. when he's "skating and keeping in shape...ready and waiting for the phone to ring". If you really look at it from a GM's point of view, his strongest selling point is that he came up in the Wings system, and made the Wings roster for two years.....so he can't be all that bad....right??? For E's sake, I hope the GM's don't call Toronto for a reference on how the Lebda deal is working out.

Let's see how the hardball routine with the Wings is working out in early Sept. when he's "skating and keeping in shape...ready and waiting for the phone to ring". If you really look at it from a GM's point of view, his strongest selling point is that he came up in the Wings system, and made the Wings roster for two years.....so he can't be all that bad....right??? For E's sake, I hope the GM's don't call Toronto for a reference on how the Lebda deal is working out.

Big difference; Ericsson had a big playoff run, is two years younger, is much larger, is better at both ends, was ahead of Lebda on the depth chart in Ericsson's rookie season.

Lebda's performance in Toronto has no bearing on Ericsson.