• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

Interesting article about possible changes

Rate this topic

:lol: Wow Ericsson. And GMR, you are honestly not that far off. This is hilarious to see him wanting more or maybe just doesn't want to stay. Probably reads LGW forums daily. I'd leave for the Winnipanta Jetshers too. Salei and E gone frees up some decent space and makes it obvious for us to get that seemingly elusive tough defenseman we have needed. Bieksa would be a stellar move .

Big difference; Ericsson had a big playoff run, is two years younger, is much larger, is better at both ends, was ahead of Lebda on the depth chart in Ericsson's rookie season.

Lebda's performance in Toronto has no bearing on Ericsson.

This was said with sarcasm...sorry I should have noted. His agent will try and sell the fact that he's got the Wings winning pedigree, playoff experience, size, etc...

However, I do believe GM's will also consdier this: the Wings not be able to make him work after a great deal of time (5+ years) was invested isn't very reassuring at all. It brings light to the fact that if Detroit puts all of their talent around him and still can't make him work on the 3rd pairing for X amount/market rate of dollars per year, neither should <<enter team name here>>. Cause your team I'll bet doesn't have half the D corps of the Wings, and therefore you have a pretty average NHL (at his very, very best) player out on an island without a Hall of Fame support system to hide just how really bad he is.

Secondly, it means that Kenny and Jimmy D who are very, very well respected think there is a better deal/player/value available elsewhere (doesn't mean that any/your team could get such player, but just sends the message that an elite, legendary NHL front office thinks there is better available/value elsewhere).

I remember days (years ago) when Lebda would get props from time-to-time...almost regularly in parts of seasons from certain folks in LGW fourms. Was he good then, and then just lost it one day? No, he was playing with some of the best D men in the league(Lids, Cheli, Kronner, Raffi, Stuey, etc...) who put him in the best possible position to be just average....and some nights they made him look decent, but he ultimately still failed . If a player can't be the the lowest denominator of success his NHL position(6th Dman) with that corps around him, chances are he won't be any better without.

Maybe Ericsson turned down the contract because he wants a change of scenery, rather than the $ amount being a concern? Maybe he thinks he can get around $2m elsewhere (he probably could, large d-man with a decent shot that can skate fairly well for his size, someone's gonna spend on that) and is looking to try his luck elsewhere.

Edit: Just seems like everyone is jumping the gun on him turning down the contract because he wanted more; I don't see that stated anywhere. There are other reasons to turn down a contract (someone might actually want to leave the Red Wings :scared: )

Edited by Datsyerberger

I think it's time for Draper to go, he had a strong season, but I'd rather have Mursak or Emmerton out there. Ozzie should go too.

If Ericsson turned down $2 Million a season, then bye bye. Is he a RFA or a UFA?

I'd like both Miller and Eaves back.

I think this quote by Lidstrom means he'll be back next year:

“I truly believe the core group we have, looking at the top players, Zetterberg and Datsyuk, and you have guys behind them — Franzen, Filppula, Kronwall, Stewie — you got guys that are making strides and guys that are star players in this league,” Lidstrom said.

By the way, this is post # 5,000 for me here, it took 8 years. By 2019 I'll reach 1,000!

LOL ericsson, youre not bad but your not worth 2+ mil

Too bad about modano, that he couldnt contribute anything.

I can do with or without draper

Salei can be replaced as well

Just sign gill or some huge stay at home dman and bring up kindl.

Edited by brett

If we are able to re-sign Lidstrom at his current rate.

No Salei, No Ericcson, and Hudler off the books would equal $4,875,000 for a defenseman. (Not even considering that we *could* spend more)

Lids-Raffi

Kronner-Stuart

XXX - Kindl

Think about it.

Pitkanen, Brewer, Kaberle, Bieksa, Wiz, Ehrhoff, White, etc.

All affordable, or within reasonable grasp.

EDIT: ...and yes, I do realize that if both Salei and Ericcson are gone will need two defensemen and not one. You can plug in Modo's cash savings, Drapers, whomever. I'm assuming that Emmerton and Mursak will be up.

Edited by e_prime

Maybe Ericsson turned down the contract because he wants a change of scenery, rather than the $ amount being a concern? Maybe he thinks he can get around $2m elsewhere (he probably could, large d-man with a decent shot that can skate fairly well for his size, someone's gonna spend on that) and is looking to try his luck elsewhere.

Edit: Just seems like everyone is jumping the gun on him turning down the contract because he wanted more; I don't see that stated anywhere. There are other reasons to turn down a contract (someone might actually want to leave the Red Wings :scared: )

I don't have a link handy but I thought I remembered reading that Ericsson had said he had hoped to stay. Ultimately if what you're saying was really the case (that he wanted to leave for a change a scenery) he would just let that be known and contract negotiations would stop because they'd be a waste of time. It's a money and/or term issue. The only other potential issue it could be is his spot on the depth chart. He may feel he deserves to be a top 4 guy in this league. However, I cant imagine that to be the case as he essentially gets top 4 minutes here anyways on most nights (especially in the playoffs he did).