• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

Ericsson needs to go. Plain and simple. If he gets re-signed, I will begin to start having serious doubts about Holland. How many years do we have to wait for this guy who was never a defenseman in the first place to develop? It's getting ridiculous, the amount of golden opportunities this kid gets to stink up the ice.

Haven't you learned to trust in Holland yet?

And yes, Toronto will probably sign him.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#22 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:05 PM

I could see another team offering him around what we offered, but then you think about Hjalmarson signing for $3.5 last year and wonder that he might get an offer. I don't know how long of terms we offered him, but $2 mil seems pretty realistic from what I've seen. I'm sure he'll get a contract from someone at that price.

all you need is one GM out of 30 to be insane lol

Am I the only one in favor of bringing back Miller? Sure, he doesn't score much, but I like his defensive game. I still like him as our 13th forward, which would give Mursak and whoever else more playing time.

i'm in favor of Miller. great on the PK

#23 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

http://www.mlive.com...s_will_det.html

interesting...both in that we wanted to offer him a big contract like that, and that he wasn't interested in taking it.

EDIT - SORRY, didn't see that this was highlighted in another thread. please delete mods.

Edited by blueadams, 14 May 2011 - 01:31 PM.

#24 Save The Octopus

Save The Octopus

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

When did they offer him $2 million?

#25 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Beat Boston!

• Gold Booster
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

Definitely don't want E back.

I hate saying it's time to end it with Draper. He actually had a pretty good season and his leadership is invaluable, but Mursak is coming up and both Miller and Eaves bring more to the table.

#26 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:32 PM

they actually offered him $2 mil. per season????? that's got to be af****** joke! and he has the balls to turn it down? wow! what do they see in this guy that we apparently don't?

i personally wouldn't take him back if he took the same amount he was getting this year.

#27 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:50 PM

Am I the only one in favor of bringing back Miller? Sure, he doesn't score much, but I like his defensive game. I still like him as our 13th forward, which would give Mursak and whoever else more playing time.

You're not the only one. The guy has been nothing but excellent for us, always giving his all. I think he's a lock for at the very least an extra forward. He's cheap, does well, and seems to be a good locker room guy.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#28 wingsownnhl43

wingsownnhl43

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:52 PM

The decision should be fairly simple. We really do not need Ericsson at all. Take the $2mil coupled with the cap increase and find a legitimate top 4 defenseman. Ehrhoff or Bieksa would be ideal. This would bump Stuart or whoever down to the bottom pairing. Kindl should be ready to be our #6, and there you go, our defense has been upgraded.

Lidstrom/Rafalski
Kronwall/Ehrhoff
Stuart/Kindl

For 2012, we will have $12million freed up from Lidstrom/Rafalski. Use some of that to give Kronwall a raise. Use a $6-7million chunk for Suter, Burns, or Weber. I think after another year in the AHL, Brendan Smith will be ready to be a #4 right away.

Kronwall/Ehrhoff
Suter/Smith
Stuart/Kindl

#29 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

:lol:

I can't believe Ericsson would turn down a contract from the Wings. Especially one worth that much. Good Riddance.

Salei had some good games and some really bad games, so I'm not too disappointed that he's probably gone.

As far as Draper goes, I'd like if we didn't re-sign him because he obviously isn't good enough anymore to stay in our roster full time and it just seems like a waste of money. We have younger guys in the AHL that are capable of coming up if we have injuries. As much of a leader as Draper is, we have to start thinking about what's the best for the team ON the ice and start putting money into our future.

Posted Image

#30 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:58 PM

If I were Holland, I wouldn't just send Draper and Osgood packing. I'd really lean on them to re-sign, but with two way contracts. They can both still play, there's the loyalty factor, but due to roster space shriveling up we can't afford to sign them just to have them sit. But if they still think they can play and they don't want to uproot families for one more year somewhere else, mentoring Grand Rapids and filling in for the team would be utterly fantastic for everyone involved. It might ding their ego a little bit, but I think they would agree to it with a little convincing, since they simply love hockey and neither wants to leave Detroit (the city), not just the team.

EDIT: I know Grand Rapids is farther away, but it could be made to work much easier than, say, signing with LA or something.

Edited by VM1138, 14 May 2011 - 02:58 PM.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#31 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:09 PM

Glad he turned it down. I think his agent will be getting a phone call from Brian Burke, since I don't think he's learned sufficiently from the Lebda debacle.

I wouldn't be too averse to two-way contracts for Drapes and Ozzie, honestly. If there were two players that would be agreeable to that, I'd think it would be them.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#32 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:16 PM

Ericsson gets too much stick for a 6th Dman. Ericsson also is insane thinking he's worth more than $2mil a year.

I'd re-sign Ericsson at close to league minimum as a 6th/7th Dman. We lack size on the back end to just readily give him up. Get a decent defensive coach to get him playing properly.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#33 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

A bit surprising for all that he HASN'T done. Don't get me wrong I think he has potential to be a good player. But not for that price tag. It's not like he was really chipping in and giving us great depth.

Bring on Kindl and Smith.
Posted Image

#34 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:32 PM

Bring on Kindl and Smith.

Smith isn't ready.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#35 Donaldjr2448

Donaldjr2448

LETS GO REDWINGS!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:45 PM

Hey Errorson, don't let the door hot ya in the a@# on the way out!! I think its time for Drapes and Ozzie to hang it up as well. I would try to move guys like Flip and Huds and yes, even Franzen. His contract is too long and he is not the player he use to be, I am sick and damn tired of the injuries and excuses with Mule and its time for a change. I see Salei somewhere else next year as well, but I would try to retain everyone else maybe let Miller walk too. We need to get bigger and tougher in the offseason. Its embrassing watching this team dumb and chase with guys like Huds and Flip and China Doll Franzen!

IF Holland signs Errorson to a multi year deal over 2 million per, I will be PISSED!!!!

#36 Theophany

Theophany

Mr. Norris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:57 PM

Ericsson probably saw how much Lebda got paid, and figured he deserved the same.

:lol:

I say Toronto signs him and pairs him with Lebda.

So they can both be -3 in a 6-3 win?

That defensive pair would be great.

#37 DyingAlive

DyingAlive

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

Smith isn't ready.

I didn't mean right away necessarily, I would say Kindl isn't ready either. He has looked good though.
Posted Image

#38 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:14 PM

ken holland said "smith is NHL ready" during the season, however that doesn't mean they think he couldnt be more NHL ready.

#39 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:01 PM

We dearly need another RHS on defense.

#40 teamhillman

teamhillman

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

watching alot of tampa these playoffs and i would love for kenny to make eric brewer an offer this offseason..he brings a bit of offence and has been a stud defensivly.. and the only ufa's i would bring back would be eaves and obviously lids but wouldnt be disapointed to see miller back either