Interesting article about possible changes

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 pavelpasha13

pavelpasha13

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:25 PM

Yeah ive noticed way to many times how on most goals.... E was out there and had something to do with it. such a HUGE turnover.
feed the mule

#42 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:02 AM

Ericsson probably saw how much Lebda got paid, and figured he deserved the same.

:lol:

I say Toronto signs him and pairs him with Lebda.

They'd probably be the best pressbox pairing in the entire NHL.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#43 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:58 AM

watching alot of tampa these playoffs and i would love for kenny to make eric brewer an offer this offseason..he brings a bit of offence and has been a stud defensivly.. and the only ufa's i would bring back would be eaves and obviously lids but wouldnt be disapointed to see miller back either

Miller is only ever on the bubble because he's a bit redundant on this team, not because he's disappointing the team in any way. I'm betting if there's room he's resigned in a heartbeat.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:02 PM

When did they offer him $2 million?

That's what I wonder, because after the craptacular season he had last year, I can't see Holland offering him that much. If anything his value went up this season because he stabilized his game. So I'm guessing the Wings made the offer sometime this season? But even then, $2 mill sounds like too much.

Ericsson gets too much stick for a 6th Dman. Ericsson also is insane thinking he's worth more than $2mil a year.

I'd re-sign Ericsson at close to league minimum as a 6th/7th Dman. We lack size on the back end to just readily give him up. Get a decent defensive coach to get him playing properly.

Agreed. I'd be shocked if he got more than $2 mill on the open market.

As for Draper, I've been a big fan over the years, and he had a pretty good season. But it's time. Yes he still does things that have value, but not enough to set himself apart from guys who are younger and have more upside.

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 15 May 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#45 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Big E is this close to being the next Lilja. He thought he was worth more too.

If he turns down the Wings' offer he'll end up like Lilja with a lot less money. Do they have the same agent? :P

Goalies- Finding someone to play 20-25 games for Howard should be the goal. As much as I love Ozzie we really need a stable backup goalie who will be around for more than one year.

As much as I'd love to see Ozzie in net for another year, they can't wait until training camp to see how he's doing. They need to start looking for a back up for Howard. I think it's too risky to depend on Oz if he's not going to be able to play well enough to be the backup. He had so many setbacks with is recovery that I think they need to start looking at their options.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#46 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:31 PM

This is a great thread to talk about what I would do and what I think should be done and why I would have rather had Yzerman as our GM instead of Holland not that I'm positive that Stevey Y wouldn't do the same thing as Holland would do but anyways. Draper was a good quality player and maybe he still is. I felt he was fairly consistent this season and in the playoffs but this is time to start bringing in some youth; not that we don't need veterans but Draper is one player I think we could live without or replace with someone like him but is a bit younger. Ericsson is a player I would love to keep. I think in time that he could be a huge asset for the Wings and I understand that the Wings did offer him a deal and he declied it which I think is stupid. It's something I hope that young player would never do and let his play go to his head. Yes he's a good D-man or will be in a few years but he has to realize the situation and know that he isn't a #1 Star on a roster like this. If he wants to play for the money than he should go but if he wants to play for a team that is a good consistent consideration when the playoffs come to the a Cup contender you take the best deal you can and go with it. Anoher season or two and he may be more developed and once his contract would be offer maybe his play would have picked up enough that he can get more of the kind of deal that he wants. I hope we keep him because I really think this team needs to start getting younger. This team needs some type of Spark.

#47 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/05/analysis_what_changes_will_det.html

interesting...both in that we wanted to offer him a big contract like that, and that he wasn't interested in taking it.

EDIT - SORRY, didn't see that this was highlighted in another thread. please delete mods.

Personally, I'm surprised it was that much. I wouldn't think he should get more than $1.5M. Although as I thought about it more and more I bet you if this contract was actually offered it was similar to the Filppula deal (5 years, $10M) where Ericsson would grow into the deal. So I bet it was yr 1 $1.5M, yr 2 $1.75M, yr 3 $2M, yr 4 $2.25M, and yr 5$ 2.5M or something like that. I could see Holland doing that and banking on Ericsson reaching his potential. I would have been cool with Ericsson back at $1.5 for a year or two and been a little uneasy (but trusted the signing) about the type of contract I listed above but I've always felt Ericsson could reach his potential here but at this rate now I'd finally be ok with him going (if in fact that happens).

The decision should be fairly simple. We really do not need Ericsson at all. Take the $2mil coupled with the cap increase and find a legitimate top 4 defenseman. Ehrhoff or Bieksa would be ideal. This would bump Stuart or whoever down to the bottom pairing. Kindl should be ready to be our #6, and there you go, our defense has been upgraded.

Lidstrom/Rafalski
Kronwall/Ehrhoff
Stuart/Kindl

That's actually some what possible. ALthough I think I'd rather Bieksa. But I like the idea.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#48 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:31 AM

Personally, I'm surprised it was that much. I wouldn't think he should get more than $1.5M. Although as I thought about it more and more I bet you if this contract was actually offered it was similar to the Filppula deal (5 years, $10M) where Ericsson would grow into the deal. So I bet it was yr 1 $1.5M, yr 2 $1.75M, yr 3 $2M, yr 4 $2.25M, and yr 5$ 2.5M or something like that. I could see Holland doing that and banking on Ericsson reaching his potential. I would have been cool with Ericsson back at $1.5 for a year or two and been a little uneasy (but trusted the signing) about the type of contract I listed above but I've always felt Ericsson could reach his potential here but at this rate now I'd finally be ok with him going (if in fact that happens).

That's actually some what possible. ALthough I think I'd rather Bieksa. But I like the idea.

Bieksa may be a little out of reach after this run is done. Though it wouldve been nice.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#49 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:03 AM

Let's see how the hardball routine with the Wings is working out in early Sept. when he's "skating and keeping in shape...ready and waiting for the phone to ring". If you really look at it from a GM's point of view, his strongest selling point is that he came up in the Wings system, and made the Wings roster for two years.....so he can't be all that bad....right??? For E's sake, I hope the GM's don't call Toronto for a reference on how the Lebda deal is working out.
ENJOY THE RIDE

#50 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

Let's see how the hardball routine with the Wings is working out in early Sept. when he's "skating and keeping in shape...ready and waiting for the phone to ring". If you really look at it from a GM's point of view, his strongest selling point is that he came up in the Wings system, and made the Wings roster for two years.....so he can't be all that bad....right??? For E's sake, I hope the GM's don't call Toronto for a reference on how the Lebda deal is working out.

Big difference; Ericsson had a big playoff run, is two years younger, is much larger, is better at both ends, was ahead of Lebda on the depth chart in Ericsson's rookie season.

Lebda's performance in Toronto has no bearing on Ericsson.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#51 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:34 PM

:lol: Wow Ericsson. And GMR, you are honestly not that far off. This is hilarious to see him wanting more or maybe just doesn't want to stay. Probably reads LGW forums daily. I'd leave for the Winnipanta Jetshers too. Salei and E gone frees up some decent space and makes it obvious for us to get that seemingly elusive tough defenseman we have needed. Bieksa would be a stellar move .
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#52 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

Big difference; Ericsson had a big playoff run, is two years younger, is much larger, is better at both ends, was ahead of Lebda on the depth chart in Ericsson's rookie season.

Lebda's performance in Toronto has no bearing on Ericsson.

This was said with sarcasm...sorry I should have noted. His agent will try and sell the fact that he's got the Wings winning pedigree, playoff experience, size, etc...
However, I do believe GM's will also consdier this: the Wings not be able to make him work after a great deal of time (5+ years) was invested isn't very reassuring at all. It brings light to the fact that if Detroit puts all of their talent around him and still can't make him work on the 3rd pairing for X amount/market rate of dollars per year, neither should <<enter team name here>>. Cause your team I'll bet doesn't have half the D corps of the Wings, and therefore you have a pretty average NHL (at his very, very best) player out on an island without a Hall of Fame support system to hide just how really bad he is.

Secondly, it means that Kenny and Jimmy D who are very, very well respected think there is a better deal/player/value available elsewhere (doesn't mean that any/your team could get such player, but just sends the message that an elite, legendary NHL front office thinks there is better available/value elsewhere).

I remember days (years ago) when Lebda would get props from time-to-time...almost regularly in parts of seasons from certain folks in LGW fourms. Was he good then, and then just lost it one day? No, he was playing with some of the best D men in the league(Lids, Cheli, Kronner, Raffi, Stuey, etc...) who put him in the best possible position to be just average....and some nights they made him look decent, but he ultimately still failed . If a player can't be the the lowest denominator of success his NHL position(6th Dman) with that corps around him, chances are he won't be any better without.
ENJOY THE RIDE

#53 Datsyerberger

Datsyerberger

"Dat's yer burger, Hank."

• HoF Booster
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:37 PM

Maybe Ericsson turned down the contract because he wants a change of scenery, rather than the $ amount being a concern? Maybe he thinks he can get around $2m elsewhere (he probably could, large d-man with a decent shot that can skate fairly well for his size, someone's gonna spend on that) and is looking to try his luck elsewhere.

Edit: Just seems like everyone is jumping the gun on him turning down the contract because he wanted more; I don't see that stated anywhere. There are other reasons to turn down a contract (someone might actually want to leave the Red Wings :scared: )

Edited by Datsyerberger, 17 May 2011 - 03:40 PM.

If some bored artist wants to make me a signature, feel free to cut loose and do so.

Of course, I could get off my lame rear and do something.

#54 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:38 PM

Okay how about this for a wild hair idea.....Move E to Offense as thats where he originally started if i remember correctly
"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#55 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

I think it's time for Draper to go, he had a strong season, but I'd rather have Mursak or Emmerton out there. Ozzie should go too.

If Ericsson turned down $2 Million a season, then bye bye. Is he a RFA or a UFA?

I'd like both Miller and Eaves back.

I think this quote by Lidstrom means he'll be back next year:

I truly believe the core group we have, looking at the top players, Zetterberg and Datsyuk, and you have guys behind them Franzen, Filppula, Kronwall, Stewie you got guys that are making strides and guys that are star players in this league, Lidstrom said.

By the way, this is post # 5,000 for me here, it took 8 years. By 2019 I'll reach 1,000!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#56 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

Okay how about this for a wild hair idea.....Move E to Offense as thats where he originally started if i remember correctly

That would probably be a disaster. He's wayyyy tooooo sloooooowwwww.

#57 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

That would probably be a disaster. He's wayyyy tooooo sloooooowwwww.

cant be any slower than Hudler or Homer....granted the brainfarts would be a big different but maybe a few less turnovers would be a good thing
"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#58 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:34 PM

LOL ericsson, youre not bad but your not worth 2+ mil
Too bad about modano, that he couldnt contribute anything.
I can do with or without draper
Salei can be replaced as well

Just sign gill or some huge stay at home dman and bring up kindl.

Edited by brett, 17 May 2011 - 04:36 PM.

#59 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,512 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

Wow - if Khan is right about Ericsson turning down a deal that would've paid him $2 million per season - just wow :blink:

Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on your way out.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#60 IllinoisRedWingsFan

IllinoisRedWingsFan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:50 PM

I hope Draper hangs it up as much as I like him we need to get younger.

Edited by IllinoisRedWingsFan, 17 May 2011 - 04:51 PM.