• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

If we are able to re-sign Lidstrom at his current rate.

No Salei, No Ericcson, and Hudler off the books would equal $4,875,000 for a defenseman. (Not even considering that we *could* spend more)

Lids-Raffi
Kronner-Stuart
XXX - Kindl

Think about it.

Pitkanen, Brewer, Kaberle, Bieksa, Wiz, Ehrhoff, White, etc.

All affordable, or within reasonable grasp.

EDIT: ...and yes, I do realize that if both Salei and Ericcson are gone will need two defensemen and not one. You can plug in Modo's cash savings, Drapers, whomever. I'm assuming that Emmerton and Mursak will be up.

Edited by e_prime, 17 May 2011 - 05:14 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#62 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:55 AM

Maybe Ericsson turned down the contract because he wants a change of scenery, rather than the $ amount being a concern? Maybe he thinks he can get around $2m elsewhere (he probably could, large d-man with a decent shot that can skate fairly well for his size, someone's gonna spend on that) and is looking to try his luck elsewhere.

Edit: Just seems like everyone is jumping the gun on him turning down the contract because he wanted more; I don't see that stated anywhere. There are other reasons to turn down a contract (someone might actually want to leave the Red Wings :scared: )

I don't have a link handy but I thought I remembered reading that Ericsson had said he had hoped to stay. Ultimately if what you're saying was really the case (that he wanted to leave for a change a scenery) he would just let that be known and contract negotiations would stop because they'd be a waste of time. It's a money and/or term issue. The only other potential issue it could be is his spot on the depth chart. He may feel he deserves to be a top 4 guy in this league. However, I cant imagine that to be the case as he essentially gets top 4 minutes here anyways on most nights (especially in the playoffs he did).
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca