• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:02 AM

Theo Peckham seems to be the type of Dman the Wings need. He is big, bruising, young, and can fight most MW's, LHW's.

He is a RFA, but his rights would come cheap if the Oilers were willing to deal him- which I'm not sure they would want to do. Maybe they would have some interest in Hudler. IMO he could be a top 4 Dman if he develops, and at worst a 5-6 Dman who can punish the other team's offense. If Lids stays another season, I think it would be a great move to sustain the defense until Lids retires.

#2 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:12 AM

Theo Peckham is one of the harrdest hitting defenseman in the league and a solid but not great fighter. He is looking to pan out to be a number four or five defenseman. I would love him on the wings, I dount Edmonton would give him up but maybe Hudler for Peckham would be something to look at. Detroit would have a young, tough guy who can play locked up for the future and get that mean dman they havent had since Hatcher.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#3 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

I honestly don't get why there are d-man fighters. I mean when you're a fourth line winger or something like that it isn't a big deal if you go the box. But if there are 6 d-men and you're one of them and go to the box for 5min that just messes with the playing rhythm.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#4 CAredwingsfan91

CAredwingsfan91

I'm back!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:06 AM

i've always loved this kid he is seriously a beast and a hard working dman and ALWAYS sticks up for his teammates i actually acquired him in NHL11 and if he looked that good in a wings jersey in a video i can't imagine how beautiful it would look in real life.
You shook Sinatra's hand, you should know better.

#5 BamaWing

BamaWing

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:18 AM

I'd like to have a guy like him.

Posted Image

#6 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 11:26 AM

I honestly don't get why there are d-man fighters. I mean when you're a fourth line winger or something like that it isn't a big deal if you go the box. But if there are 6 d-men and you're one of them and go to the box for 5min that just messes with the playing rhythm.

Because when youre in a blow out game and some idiot decides to run your goalie someone stepping up is a good thing. Its not like going off for 5 minutes is that big of a deal. Everyone plays an extra minute than gets some extra rest when the other guy comes out.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:17 PM

We should sign Sami Helenius. ;)
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#8 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

Because when youre in a blow out game and some idiot decides to run your goalie someone stepping up is a good thing. Its not like going off for 5 minutes is that big of a deal. Everyone plays an extra minute than gets some extra rest when the other guy comes out.

Yes. But why can't it be the 4th line winger like I said? It's not about the minutes that much. Defense pairings just get mixed, which is not a good thing.

We should sign Sami Helenius. ;)

Sami is a nice guy, but he's into politics nowadays.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 14 May 2011 - 01:00 PM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#9 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 01:58 PM

I agree 100% with you.

Peckham could be nice pick up, hard hitting stay at home def...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#10 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:39 PM

There aren't many (any) dmen who are pure enforcers. I don't mind one bit if a players gets in 10+ fights a year protecting his teammates regardless of position. I respect it even more if the players fights to protect his goalie. I'm more interested in Peckham because Detroit needs a big crease clearing defensemen than his fighting ability. The fighting is just icing on the cake IMO.

IMO having a defensemen in the box for 5 minutes 10 times a year isn't a big deal to the defensive rhythm. There are more minutes lost to other penalties to defensemen than those fight penalty minutes.

#11 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

I know his half-sister is in the HHoF.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#12 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

I was about to reply with a resounding no, but then I realize I was confusing him with Stortini. I agree with everyone in here, Peckham is the kind of player we need on our 3rd pairing, maybe even 2nd PK, he is one of the harder hitting defensemen in the league, and while I would not want him to be primarily an enforcer, he is not afraid to drop the gloves and handles himself pretty well in a fight. He needs a bit of work on his hockey sense from what I've seen, and with McCrummy as the defensive coach I wouldn't count on that improving, so hopefully he will be replaced with someone better (Chelios anyone) and that part of his game can improve in Red and White.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#13 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

peckham is a stand-up guy, not overly skilled but a great hitter, def could be utilized on this team
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter