• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Draft Talk

Rate this topic

Well to me it looks like the wings will be picking 24th this year? With Washington, Tampa, Boston, San Jose and the Nucks picking after them.

Here are a few mocks

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=69365

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=69366

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=69367

Jensen, Rakell, and Morrow are who these drafts have the wings taking.

The guy I want who is looking to be taken around the wings pick is Tyler Biggs. A big powerforward who hits hard and is a willing fighter (obviously). With the wings sayign they liked taking a big guy last year with Sheahan, if Biggs is on the board at 24 I can see them taking the 6'2, 210 pounder.

On D I wouldnt mind David Musil. He is big and plays like Stuart. I'm sick of seeing little offensive Dmen get pushed around in their own zone, Musil could help put an end to this.

Scott Mayfield is another guy who could help the wings intheir own zone this draft. He is huge, can hit and has some offensive upside as well.

Right now Detroit is low on scoring wingers and defensive defenders, so that would be what I would want them to pursue. I wonder if anyone will take Hudler, and the Wings' first for a higher pick, because Sven Baertschi looks like an interesting pick.

Right now Detroit is low on scoring wingers and defensive defenders, so that would be what I would want them to pursue. I wonder if anyone will take Hudler, and the Wings' first for a higher pick, because Sven Baertschi looks like an interesting pick.

It seems like the Wings think defense can be taught, which is true to some extent. Bearing that in mind I wouldn't count on the Wings to draft a defensive defenseman but rather a potential two-way defenseman.

The Wings are looking to draft size in this draft due to concerns about the lack of size in their current system. This was stated by someone in the Grand Rapids Griffins organisation.

Hmm. Was it McNamera or Fraser? Skill seems to be a slightly higher priority than size to the Wings but surely they can place a little more emphasis on size for this year. I would think that the Wings would want a little more speed. Perhaps a combination with size but more of an emphasis on speed.

The Wings are looking to draft size in this draft due to concerns about the lack of size in their current system. This was stated by someone in the Grand Rapids Griffins organisation.

Scoring? Size? Pick Joel Armia.

Please just focus more towards some Strength and Size along with scoring, instead of small, soft and scoring, PLEASE!

Armia? Please, if you are 6'3" and weigh less than 190lbs. you are gonna get tossed around like a rag doll. Not unless he can bulk up to about 210lbs by time he reaches Detroit...

I wouldnt mind that Joe Morrow kid, I just am tired of small, weak, soft players. Sure 6'3" is big, but 187lbs? thats too soft for me...

Please just focus more towards some Strength and Size along with scoring, instead of small, soft and scoring, PLEASE!

Armia? Please, if you are 6'3" and weigh less than 190lbs. you are gonna get tossed around like a rag doll. Not unless he can bulk up to about 210lbs by time he reaches Detroit...

I wouldnt mind that Joe Morrow kid, I just am tired of small, weak, soft players. Sure 6'3" is big, but 187lbs? thats too soft for me...

Think about it this way: you can always add to weight but adding to height might be a bit more difficult.

I'd love for the Wings to take Armia but he's more likely to go in the top 10 or 15.

Dunno about that. We draft at 24th and the three NHL.com mock drafts have him going 12, 30 and +30.

Think about it this way: you can always add to weight but adding to height might be a bit more difficult.

Dunno about that. We draft at 24th and the three NHL.com mock drafts have him going 12, 30 and +30.

Thats is true, if they could get him to about 210-220, then he could be a beast (plus he is right handed) but would the extra weight affect his scoring and skill? Would it slow him down?

Edited by LeftWinger

Thats is true, if they could get him to about 210-220, then he could be a beast, but would the extra weight affect his scoring and skill? Would it slow him down?

You never know. I think 220 would be a bit overkill though. He isn't a grinder or a power forward - at least not yet. 210 I think would be the max. 200 would be pretty good as well and probably the minimum.

But like we seen so often, many European draftees tend to magically gain 10+ pounds when they go overseas.

Edited by Finnish Wing

I want no one more than I want Vladislav Namestnikov in this draft. Slava Kozlov's nephew, compared to both Igor Larionov and Datsyuk, and has played and adjusted to the North American style of play. If he's still available, the Wings MUST draft him. Plus, a passing center with a great two way game could do wonders setting up this guy.

Edited by X13WINGS13X

I was just going by the ISS which have him at 13 and the Hockey News which has him in the top 15. Dare to dream though tongue.gif

The Wings are really shallow on defensive depth, I imagine they take a defenseman with the 1st pick. We've got some forwards, but I also imagine they take some bigger power forward wingers in some of the subequent rounds.

The Wings are also shallow in goaltending depth, but I don't think it's as much of a priority as a defenseman is, since Howard will be around a while.

I was just going by the ISS which have him at 13 and the Hockey News which has him in the top 15. Dare to dream though tongue.gif

After last years draft, who knows what's going to happen. Fowler past 10th, Johanson at 4, Gormely late, Pulkkinen in the 4th round, what?!! Last year I was hoping Skinner fell to us because THN had him at like 20 or 21. Seems stupid now.

You all know what's going to happen though. It'll come to our pick and we'll draft some small but highly skilled guy. Just wouldn't the same if it didn't go down like that!

I cannot fault the majority of our recent picks as I think we've got some absolute gems in our pipeline: Mursak, Tatar, Pulu, Gus, Jarnkrok, Smith. :siren:

Edited by Aussie_Wing

You all know what's going to happen though. It'll come to our pick and we'll draft some small but highly skilled guy. Just wouldn't the same if it didn't go down like that!

I cannot fault the majority of our recent picks as I think we've got some absolute gems in our pipeline: Mursak, Tatar, Pulu, Gus, Jarnkrok, Smith. :siren:

Actually I'm expecting Detroit to trade away the top pick.

the thing about Biggs is he had an absolutely terrible U-18s. While he's big and tough, there are doubts about his overall hockey sense and projected skill level. A lot of scouts are starting to believe that he might only be a 3rd liner at the NHL level.

and as for Zibanejad and Landeskog, man, I wish. Those two will be looong gone by the Wings' pick. I'm holding out for one of Brodin or Klefbom, but I don't know if even they will be there.