• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Draft Talk

Rate this topic

the thing about Biggs is he had an absolutely terrible U-18s. While he's big and tough, there are doubts about his overall hockey sense and projected skill level. A lot of scouts are starting to believe that he might only be a 3rd liner at the NHL level.

and as for Zibanejad and Landeskog, man, I wish. Those two will be looong gone by the Wings' pick. I'm holding out for one of Brodin or Klefbom, but I don't know if even they will be there.

Biggs is a safe pick much like Sheahan was last year, thats why I could see it happening. If you get a third liner who can put up 30 points, fight and hit like a truck that is worth the 24th overall pick, especially with such a lack of size for Detroit.

By that point in the draft there are questions around every single player.

And for the record, Namestnikov is a floater, do not want

I just checked out the may ISS ranking and saw Mark Mcneil at 20! This is my dream guy for the wings to draft, they should trade up for him if they need to but they need to get him.

81 points this year, a big hitter, good size at 6'2 and a good fighter although he doesnt fight a whole lot. A big right handed shooting centerman from western Canada is something I would love on the wings

If he is still around at 20 the wings need to get this guy, he is everything they need

I just checked out the may ISS ranking and saw Mark Mcneil at 20! This is my dream guy for the wings to draft, they should trade up for him if they need to but they need to get him.

81 points this year, a big hitter, good size at 6'2 and a good fighter although he doesnt fight a whole lot. A big right handed shooting centerman from western Canada is something I would love on the wings

If he is still around at 20 the wings need to get this guy, he is everything they need

with that being said, Holland will draft 5' 10" 165lb. Defender Hok Ptew out of the Swiss Army League.... (no offense to any Swiss we may have on this forum...)

with that being said, Holland will draft 5' 10" 165lb. Defender Hok Ptew out of the Swiss Army League.... (no offense to any Swiss we may have on this forum...)

I dunno, last year with the first pick he took a big, tough canadian power forward. Hopefully he'll do it again with one of Mcneil or Biggs if he takes a forward

Zibanejad would be a dream. If he somehow fell to us I'd be so pumped. A 6 foot right-hand center is always a great addition. There are a lot of quality guys this year so I'm sure we'll get someone decent that falls to later in the round, just have no clue who. Hoping is one of those right-handed centers.

Zibanejad would be excellent but my gut tells me hes gonna go early.

My top 5 wants for the Wings(that are remotely possible)

1. Vladislav Namestnikov

2. Mika Zibanejad

3. Alexander Khoklachev

4. Tomas Jurco

5. Joel Armia

In no particular order

What do you guys think on Namestnikov?

I'm from london and seen him play a bunch. He's got great hands and speed but will need a lot of grooming to turn him into a player with the "Detroit" attitude. Needs to become more responsible defensively and work harder all over the ice.

Zibanejad would be excellent but my gut tells me hes gonna go early.

My top 5 wants for the Wings(that are remotely possible)

1. Vladislav Namestnikov

2. Mika Zibanejad

3. Alexander Khoklachev

4. Tomas Jurco

5. Joel Armia

In no particular order

Jurco could be good (real nice hands). I would be really happy with any of those boys.

I've done research on all of them and i can see shades of current and former NHL players in them, for example:

Vladislav Namestnikov - Igor Larionov -- Great vision, hands, and passes. Thinks team first.

Mika Zibanejad - Dustin Brown -- Gritty, power forward that brings offense to the table. Leadership skills

Tomas Jurco - Maxim Afinogenov -- Slick hands, good skater, elusive with high offensive skills

Alexander Khokhlachev - Nicklas Backstrom(caps of course) -- Smart, high offensive player with good hand eye and nice vision. Can playmake and find the twine.

Joel Armia - Vincent Lecavalier -- Big in size and in play and very patient with the puck.

Note: this does not mean that these players will amount to their comparisons, I just see similarities in playing style and poise on the ice

Edited by X13WINGS13X

I would LOVE if the Wings picked Mcneil. Apparently he is a gym rat and may be the most driven guy in the draft. Work ethic to go with impressive size and skill. Here's to hoping he falls to 24.

I wouldn't mind seeing Detroit try to get in to the top 10 or even 15 and maybe get Armia. He may have to build into his body a bit more but that can all be done as long has he sticks to a good workout plan, and I'm sure the Wings would see to that.

I dunno, last year with the first pick he took a big, tough canadian power forward. Hopefully he'll do it again with one of Mcneil or Biggs if he takes a forward

True, and that was a shock! I (like a lot of us here) are just brainwashed into hearing that Holland wants to get bigger and tougher, yet drafts small and soft. How many years now? I am happy he went with who he went with last season, and like you said, hopefully its a trend that continues! (of course he must be talented too, not just big and tough, but he must be able to play!)

True, and that was a shock! I (like a lot of us here) are just brainwashed into hearing that Holland wants to get bigger and tougher, yet drafts small and soft. How many years now? I am happy he went with who he went with last season, and like you said, hopefully its a trend that continues! (of course he must be talented too, not just big and tough, but he must be able to play!)

It will. As I said before, Holland is actually concerned that there's not much size in his current system. But of course, who's fault is that? His own.

Anyway, in this draft I expect a mix, similar to last year. Maybe something like (with examples);

1st Round: Small Skilled (Tatar)

2nd Round: Power Forward (Marc Aubry)

3rd Round: Big Defensive Dman (No examples)

4th Round: Small Skilled From Earlier Round (Pulkkinen)

5th Round: Small Skilled Fighter (Callahan)

6th Round: Tough Power Forward (No examples)

7th Round: Small offensive defenseman (Marshall) or wild card (Jesper Samuelsson)

Going to have a good look through all the mock drafts and see who I fancy. Don't you just love the draft? One of my favourite parts of hockey along with free agent frenzy. I would love to see us draft toughness to go with the size. Obviously such a prospect is hard to get in the lower rounds, but we managed it with Callahan, even if he is a bit undersized...maybe something to look for in the second round.

I firmly believe, as always (and rightly), Detroit will use its first round pick to select the best available player that remains, unless of course someone comes alone and trades two or three picks for it. With us being a little higher in the draft this year I don't expect that to happen. But who knows? The rest is a lottery, but as they stated they wanted size this year, Im expecting the rest to be a mixed bag, slightly favouring size over skill.

The draft is so far away :ranting:

It will. As I said before, Holland is actually concerned that there's not much size in his current system. But of course, who's fault is that? His own.

Anyway, in this draft I expect a mix, similar to last year. Maybe something like (with examples);

1st Round: Small Skilled (Tatar)

2nd Round: Power Forward (Marc Aubry)

3rd Round: Big Defensive Dman (No examples)

4th Round: Small Skilled From Earlier Round (Pulkkinen)

5th Round: Small Skilled Fighter (Callahan)

6th Round: Tough Power Forward (No examples)

7th Round: Small offensive defenseman (Marshall) or wild card (Jesper Samuelsson)

Going to have a good look through all the mock drafts and see who I fancy. Don't you just love the draft? One of my favourite parts of hockey along with free agent frenzy. I would love to see us draft toughness to go with the size. Obviously such a prospect is hard to get in the lower rounds, but we managed it with Callahan, even if he is a bit undersized...maybe something to look for in the second round.

I firmly believe, as always (and rightly), Detroit will use its first round pick to select the best available player that remains, unless of course someone comes alone and trades two or three picks for it. With us being a little higher in the draft this year I don't expect that to happen. But who knows? The rest is a lottery, but as they stated they wanted size this year, Im expecting the rest to be a mixed bag, slightly favouring size over skill.

The draft is so far away :ranting:

A defenseman to look for in later rounds is Jesse Forsberg. I'm hoping the wings use their third on him, hes the type of defenseman Detroit needs badly. I've seen him play a couple times, he could be our next Stuart except hes a very good figher as well

I think that an either of the OHL russians would be a steal. Namestnikov and Khokhlachev. these players are ranked too low for their talent. they had slow starts to the season due to the adjustment to north american style of play, but finished their seasons strong and are ready to fight their way to the nhl rather than run back to the khl.

Khokhlachev should be taken right around the Wings first round pick, and I agree that he seems more like a top 10 prospect because theres more potential there. Some Spits fans should weigh in, and I know we have quite a few of those around.

Can't think, too many cups in my ears.

Can't think, too many cups in my ears.

ya, and only 1, ONE of those Cups were won with small skilled forwards. So take your head out of your other ear so you can hear. Oh, and on that Cup team, the two recently drafted forwards to actually contribute? Abdelkader and Helm, far from your small, skilled, soft player. Example of a player who was that way? Ritola, and he contributed himself right off the team. The list of small, soft players Holland has drafted goes on, and for the most part the have yet too, and may never make this team. I get the shakes when I think of this team when the grittiest player is Datsyuk. Image this line, Mursak - Hudler - Tatar. EEEEEEGAD! Listen, I don't claim to know as much as Holland, but as a fan of this team since 1979, I have seen the makeup change a few times, and right now, this team is FAR from winning another Cup, especially if they don't get bigger and tougher. I am not saying a team full of enforcers, but a team full of Hudler's and Mursak's isn't gonna win you a Cup. I just hope that Holland trends the way of Sheahan rather that the way of Hudler...

edit: You Avatar says it all...unfortunately...Of course I can deal with Filppula as long as he plays on Datsyuk's wing. Holmstrom and Rafalski are here til the retire, Hudler...... Oh Father, Thou Art In Heaven, Please Tell Holland To Trade Hudler, Please....

Edited by LeftWinger

ya, and only 1, ONE of those Cups were won with small skilled forwards. So take your head out of your other ear so you can hear. Oh, and on that Cup team, the two recently drafted forwards to actually contribute? Abdelkader and Helm, far from your small, skilled, soft player. Example of a player who was that way? Ritola, and he contributed himself right off the team. The list of small, soft players Holland has drafted goes on, and for the most part the have yet too, and may never make this team. I get the shakes when I think of this team when the grittiest player is Datsyuk. Image this line, Mursak - Hudler - Tatar. EEEEEEGAD! Listen, I don't claim to know as much as Holland, but as a fan of this team since 1979, I have seen the makeup change a few times, and right now, this team is FAR from winning another Cup, especially if they don't get bigger and tougher. I am not saying a team full of enforcers, but a team full of Hudler's and Mursak's isn't gonna win you a Cup. I just hope that Holland trends the way of Sheahan rather that the way of Hudler...

edit: You Avatar says it all...unfortunately...Of course I can deal with Filppula as long as he plays on Datsyuk's wing. Holmstrom and Rafalski are here til the retire, Hudler...... Oh Father, Thou Art In Heaven, Please Tell Holland To Trade Hudler, Please....

Datsyuk? Zetterberg? Filpulla? St Louis? Small skilled forwards are worthless, hell Crosby is under 6 foot he must be worthless too.

Datsyuk? Zetterberg? Filpulla? St Louis? Small skilled forwards are worthless, hell Crosby is under 6 foot he must be worthless too.

Zetterberg and Filppula are both listed at 6 feet, not undersized. Datsyuk is the most skilled player in the league and Crosby has generational talent.

You can name a couple small players who are a few of the best in the league, but for everyone of those small ones there is 5 who aren't small.

So now that youve listed Datsyuk and Crosby as proof that drafting smaller forwards are great.. tell me about how great Hudler and Jason Williams are? You know, the 2 most worthless Red Wings the last few years who have done nothing for the team

ANYWAY...

A guy like Khokhlachev I think has had too strong a playoff showing (20 points in 18 games) to still be available by the time its the Wings turn to draft but who knows. His lack of size might be off putting to some GM's. Think Detroit would snap at the chance to take him as a number 1 pick. Don't think it will happen.

Seeing as Detroit are concerned about the size of their forwards in the system, a guy like Tyler Biggs could be a good shout? Most are saying he'll go late in the first round and at 6 foot 2 202lbs at the age of 18 he would certainly add a bit of size to the system, if he can reach his potential. Scouts saying he could be a 20 goal a season guy, so certainly has the makings of a powerfoward. Good penalty killer as well, which is always a plus. Strong steady skater who throws the body around by the looks of some videos.