• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Draft Talk

Rate this topic

ANYWAY...

A guy like Khokhlachev I think has had too strong a playoff showing (20 points in 18 games) to still be available by the time its the Wings turn to draft but who knows. His lack of size might be off putting to some GM's. Think Detroit would snap at the chance to take him as a number 1 pick. Don't think it will happen.

Seeing as Detroit are concerned about the size of their forwards in the system, a guy like Tyler Biggs could be a good shout? Most are saying he'll go late in the first round and at 6 foot 2 202lbs at the age of 18 he would certainly add a bit of size to the system, if he can reach his potential. Scouts saying he could be a 20 goal a season guy, so certainly has the makings of a powerfoward. Good penalty killer as well, which is always a plus. Strong steady skater who throws the body around by the looks of some videos.

If the wings go with a forward I want them to try for Mcneil, if not Biggs is the guy I want for sure. He is the meanest forward rated in the first round this year.

Yeah Biggs has his scoring potential questioned, thats why he isnt ranked as a number 8 or 9 pick anymore but he is still highly regarded. Even if he turns into a guy who just throws huge hits, can PK, fight and chip in a bit of offense from the third line, that is niot a wasted 24th pick. At 24th overall, if we get the next david clarkson would anyone be unhappy?

McNeill is being touted by some to go as early as top-10, and others think he won't go in the 1st round at all. I'd like to think either he or Biggs would be available by the time Detroit picks. I just don't think Detroit would put that much emphasis on size. I know Holland wants size but would he use his first round pick to get it? Boone Jenner might be available as well. Certainly a lot of size to choose from in the top 30/40 picks.

Can't see it happening though. I think the size will come from every other pick, starting with the second round. I think Detroit will draft the most skilled player available with their 1st pick or trade it. I've got a strange feeling about Tomas Jurco.

McNeill is being touted by some to go as early as top-10, and others think he won't go in the 1st round at all. I'd like to think either he or Biggs would be available by the time Detroit picks. I just don't think Detroit would put that much emphasis on size. I know Holland wants size but would he use his first round pick to get it? Boone Jenner might be available as well. Certainly a lot of size to choose from in the top 30/40 picks.

Can't see it happening though. I think the size will come from every other pick, starting with the second round. I think Detroit will draft the most skilled player available with their 1st pick or trade it. I've got a strange feeling about Tomas Jurco.

Mcneil was ranked 20th in the final rankings, if the wings could maybe trade up there is a shot they could grab him. But ya, the first round isnt the place to really reach or anything to address size issues. A flyer can be taken on a big tough player later in the draft, first round should be more of whoever has the most potential, even as a guy who knows toughness is important, the first round isnt always the place to address it. Biggs at 24 would be a solid pick however and not a reach

Also, JT Miller could be a good pick in that area. He looks like a Ryan kesler type. He is somewhat tough and physical as well and is projected to go around where the wings pick

Edited by newfy

Why on earth do we need to draft a scoring winger? We have a bunch of quality forwards in our system already. We only have ZERO defensive dmen in our stable that look legit.

We have a few very very smart puck moving DMen, but I agree, we need a DMan with size.

Why on earth do we need to draft a scoring winger? We have a bunch of quality forwards in our system already. We only have ZERO defensive dmen in our stable that look legit.

Because the Wings have a lot of quality Centers and puck moving D men, but they are weak on stay at home D men and scoring wingers.

Zetterberg and Filppula are both listed at 6 feet, not undersized. Datsyuk is the most skilled player in the league and Crosby has generational talent.

You can name a couple small players who are a few of the best in the league, but for everyone of those small ones there is 5 who aren't small.

So now that youve listed Datsyuk and Crosby as proof that drafting smaller forwards are great.. tell me about how great Hudler and Jason Williams are? You know, the 2 most worthless Red Wings the last few years who have done nothing for the team

On the converse couldn't you list big guys who are ******* Franzen/Ericsson. I think last years draft was great and trust Holland. Just wish we could see some of those young players actually play on the team, that seems to take forever :(

I really hope Jamie Oleksiak falls to Detroit. I watched this kid play for a half a season with the Sioux Falls Stampede in 2010. If you want size and a stay at home defensmen, this is your guy. 6'7" and around 240 lbs. He has a bit of a mean streak. Not afraid to drop the gloves with that long reach of his. He plays at Northeastern, and everything I read says his game continues to improve. Could be that element they have sought since Jiri Fischer and Derian Hatcher have been gone.

Does anyone else find it completely impossible to predict who the Wings/Holland will draft with almost any pick? Seems like one of the hardest teams in the NHL to figure out in this regard, though I suppose that's part of why they do so well.

Hoping Scott Mayfield will still be on the board when the Wings pick. Big shutdown guy who can play in all situations, he is also a right handed shot. The Wings lack defensive depth and the closest thing we have to a defensive D man is Brian Lashoff. I'd like to see Holland take a defensive D man with the first pick, it would be a safe pick and fill an area of need. Then he can try to hit home runs in the later rounds, IE Jarnkrok, Pulkinen.

But knowing Holland he will draft Rocco Grimaldi.

On a serious note, for anyone interested, here is The Scouting Reports top 60:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsrs-2011-midterm-top-60-skaters-130/

Edited by redwingfan19

Does anyone else find it completely impossible to predict who the Wings/Holland will draft with almost any pick? Seems like one of the hardest teams in the NHL to figure out in this regard, though I suppose that's part of why they do so well.

Agreed. The Sheahan pick seemed to come out of nowhere last year.

And, not that you mentioned it specifically, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Kenny won't be picking a big defensive defenceman with our first round pick. I definitely think we'll draft skill with our first rounder but weirder things have happened.

Because the Wings have a lot of quality Centers and puck moving D men, but they are weak on stay at home D men and scoring wingers.

Thomas Tatar, Pulk in prospects. Franzen, Zetter. There are four there, while I would love to have another, I don't consider that the top priority. Besides position has nothing to do with it, the desire to shoot the puck does.

Anyone who plays hockey knows everyone falls into a mindset. You either are more confident in setting up or shooting. Position really doesn't fall into that, it is more about your skating ability and how aggressive you are at applying pressure as well as faceoff ability that determines position.

We need better defense for sure, but unfortunately losing Rafalski means we lost puck moving d ability as well.

Our problem that kept us from winning was not who we had in ability, but who we had in desire. Now we are going to have problems in who we have, and maybe desire. Holland has to find the guys with the right intangibles first and worry about the rest later.

If you don't believe it, check Helm vs Hudler, Bert, or Franzen. Helm bests them in only two things, desire and speed. We need that edge to wear on more people on the team.

Just look at the top prospects in the system and you know we are thinnest at D, and if we bring up Smith this year we really have only three d prospects worth a damn and they are all at least two more years away and all are number 4 dmen AT best. Although i think Almquivst could be a rafalski type.

Quote from your link. Grimaldi only question is size (5 foot six) the rest is absolute.

So yeah Holland will draft Rocco Grimaldi...

In the fourth round. :ph34r:

Mika Zibanejad is my pick.

Hoping Scott Mayfield will still be on the board when the Wings pick. Big shutdown guy who can play in all situations, he is also a right handed shot. The Wings lack defensive depth and the closest thing we have to a defensive D man is Brian Lashoff. I'd like to see Holland take a defensive D man with the first pick, it would be a safe pick and fill an area of need. Then he can try to hit home runs in the later rounds, IE Jarnkrok, Pulkinen.

On a serious note, for anyone interested, here is The Scouting Reports top 60:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/tsrs-2011-midterm-top-60-skaters-130/

Hey now I'd love to have Rocco on the Wings :D

An article on RWC about Gustav Nyquist where Jimmy Nill said, “Statistically, any player below the third round is not supposed to make the NHL" sparked my curiosity about forwards selected after the 3rd round who scored 40 points or more, which to me says they at least spent time in a top-six role.

Boston Bruins

Michael Ryder. Drafted by Montreal in 1998 (8/216).

Rich Peverley. Undrafted. Signed by Nashville in 2007.

Mark Recchi. Drafted by Pittsburgh in 1988 (4/67).

Calgary Flames

Curtis Glencross. Undrafted. Signed by Anaheim in 2004.

Rene Bourque. Undrafted. Signed by Chicago in 2004.

Carolina Hurricanes

Jussi Jokinen. Drafted by Dallas in 2001 (6/192).

Colorado Avalanche

David Jones. Drafted by Colorado in 2003 (9/288).

Milan Hejduk. Drafted by Quebec in 1994 (4/87).

Dallas Stars

Jamie Benn. Drafted by Dallas in 2007 (5/129).

Detroit Red Wings (Woo! biggrin.gif)

Pavel Datsyuk. Drafted by Detroit in 1998 (6/171).

Henrik Zetterberg. Drafted by Detroit in 1999 (7/210).

Florida Panthers

Mike Santorelli. Drafted by Nashville in 2004 (6/178).

Los Angeles Kings

Dustin Penner. Undrafted. Signed by Anaheim in 2004.

Minnesota Wild

Andrew Brunette. Drafted by Washington in 1993 (7/174).

Nashville Predators

Patric Hornqvist. Drafted by Nashville in 2005 (7/230).

Martin Erat. Drafted by Nashville in 1999 (7/191).

Sergei Kostitsyn. Drafted by Montreal in 2005 (7/200).

New York Islanders

PA Parenteau. Drafted by Anaheim in 2001 (9/264).

Matt Moulson. Drafted by Pittsburgh in 2003 (9/263).

New York Rangers

Ryan Callahan. Drafted by NY Rangers in 2004 (4/127).

Philadelphia Flyers

Kris Versteeg. Drafted by Boston in 2004 (5/134).

Ville Leino. Undrafted. Signed by Detroit in 2008.

Phoenix Coyotes

Eric Belanger. Drafted by Los Angeles in 1996 (4/96).

Radim Vrbata. Drafted by Colorado in 1999 (7/212).

Pittsburgh Penguins

Tyler Kennedy. Drafted by Pittsburgh in 2004 (4/99).

Chris Kunitz. Undrafted. Signed by Anaheim in 2003.

San Jose Sharks

Ryane Clowe. Drafted by San Jose in 2001 (6/175).

Joe Pavelski. Drafted by San Jose in 2003 (7/205).

St. Louis Blues

Matt D'Agostini. Drafted by Montreal in 2005 (6/190).

Andy McDonald. Undrafted. Signed by Anaheim in 2000.

Tampa Bay Lightning

Teddy Purcell. Undrafted. Signed by Los Angeles in 2007.

Toronto Maple Leafs

Mikhail Grabovski. Drafted by Montreal in 2004 (5/150).

Vancouver Canucks

Alexandre Burrows. Undrafted. Signed by Vancouver in 2003.

Mikael Samuelsson. Drafted by San Jose in 1998 (5/145).

Washington Capitals

Mike Knuble. Drafted by Detroit in 1991 (4/76).

Brooks Laich. Drafted by Ottawa in 2001 (6/193).

Thomas Tatar, Pulk in prospects. Franzen, Zetter. There are four there, while I would love to have another, I don't consider that the top priority. Besides position has nothing to do with it, the desire to shoot the puck does.

Franzen: Underrated shot, but more of an around the net finisher than a sniper.

Zetterberg: Natural center, leans towards playmaking

Tomas Tatar: Natural center, leans towards playmaker

Pulk: The only true sniper in our system, needs to work on using his wrister more

We don't really have much for natural "shooter" type wingers in our system. Size on D is a very obvious concern as well.

Agreed. The Sheahan pick seemed to come out of nowhere last year.

And, not that you mentioned it specifically, but I think it's pretty safe to say that Kenny won't be picking a big defensive defenceman with our first round pick. I definitely think we'll draft skill with our first rounder but weirder things have happened.

Well, part of the thing is that the predictably decent big defensive d-men tend to go earlier in the 1st round than we typically draft, with the less quality ones falling to the later rounds (usually 3rd or more).

Well, part of the thing is that the predictably decent big defensive d-men tend to go earlier in the 1st round than we typically draft, with the less quality ones falling to the later rounds (usually 3rd or more).

I definitely wouldn't mind Kenny switching up his drafting tactics a bit this year. We haven't drafted a big stay-at-home defenseman since Sergei Kolosov in 2004. I know the philosophy is to draft multi-faceted D-men but we definitely need to beef up the back end in the near future.

I definitely wouldn't mind Kenny switching up his drafting tactics a bit this year. We haven't drafted a big stay-at-home defenseman since Sergei Kolosov in 2004. I know the philosophy is to draft multi-faceted D-men but we definitely need to beef up the back end in the near future.

Well, just saying, if we draft a big defensive oriented d-man, it'll probably be some gamble picks in the 3rd round or later, not 1st like some people are hoping.. the good ones worthy of taking in the 1st round tend not to last that long.

26. RC Rocco Grimaldi – US U18 Team (USHL)

DOB: Feb. 08/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 5.06 | Weight: 163lbs Season Statistics (Jan 28th): 14GP 9G 8A 17P +8 14PIM

---

Grimaldi easily has Top 10 skills but at 5’6” he will cause NHL GM’s to do some soul searching as to whether they should take a chance on a kid who has never let his lack of size stop him from producing. Grimaldi owns such pure and technically sound offensive skills, a picture perfect skating stride, puck distribution and protection skills and the ability to find the net from all parts of the ice. Grimaldi leaves everything on the ice and shows no fear when the play takes him to the boards. With Grimaldi, his size is the only question mark….the rest is absolute.

I like this kid :yowza:!