• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#21 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,867 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:42 AM

You all know what's going to happen though. It'll come to our pick and we'll draft some small but highly skilled guy. Just wouldn't the same if it didn't go down like that!

I cannot fault the majority of our recent picks as I think we've got some absolute gems in our pipeline: Mursak, Tatar, Pulu, Gus, Jarnkrok, Smith. :siren:

Actually I'm expecting Detroit to trade away the top pick.

#22 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:18 AM

Actually I'm expecting Detroit to trade away the top pick.

:lol:
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#23 matemate

matemate

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:22 PM

http://www.elitepros...hp?player=23856

http://www.elitepros...r=10393&lang=en

Two Swedish Powerforwards.

#24 Slabby

Slabby

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

the thing about Biggs is he had an absolutely terrible U-18s. While he's big and tough, there are doubts about his overall hockey sense and projected skill level. A lot of scouts are starting to believe that he might only be a 3rd liner at the NHL level.

and as for Zibanejad and Landeskog, man, I wish. Those two will be looong gone by the Wings' pick. I'm holding out for one of Brodin or Klefbom, but I don't know if even they will be there.

#25 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

My picks:
Khokhlachev, Alexander
Karlsson, William
Jaskin, Dmitri

I would s*** bricks and build a house if some how Oscar Klefbom fell to us. Big mobile DMan.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#26 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

the thing about Biggs is he had an absolutely terrible U-18s. While he's big and tough, there are doubts about his overall hockey sense and projected skill level. A lot of scouts are starting to believe that he might only be a 3rd liner at the NHL level.

and as for Zibanejad and Landeskog, man, I wish. Those two will be looong gone by the Wings' pick. I'm holding out for one of Brodin or Klefbom, but I don't know if even they will be there.

Biggs is a safe pick much like Sheahan was last year, thats why I could see it happening. If you get a third liner who can put up 30 points, fight and hit like a truck that is worth the 24th overall pick, especially with such a lack of size for Detroit.

By that point in the draft there are questions around every single player.

And for the record, Namestnikov is a floater, do not want

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#27 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

I just checked out the may ISS ranking and saw Mark Mcneil at 20! This is my dream guy for the wings to draft, they should trade up for him if they need to but they need to get him.

81 points this year, a big hitter, good size at 6'2 and a good fighter although he doesnt fight a whole lot. A big right handed shooting centerman from western Canada is something I would love on the wings

If he is still around at 20 the wings need to get this guy, he is everything they need

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

I just checked out the may ISS ranking and saw Mark Mcneil at 20! This is my dream guy for the wings to draft, they should trade up for him if they need to but they need to get him.

81 points this year, a big hitter, good size at 6'2 and a good fighter although he doesnt fight a whole lot. A big right handed shooting centerman from western Canada is something I would love on the wings

If he is still around at 20 the wings need to get this guy, he is everything they need

with that being said, Holland will draft 5' 10" 165lb. Defender Hok Ptew out of the Swiss Army League.... (no offense to any Swiss we may have on this forum...)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#29 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

with that being said, Holland will draft 5' 10" 165lb. Defender Hok Ptew out of the Swiss Army League.... (no offense to any Swiss we may have on this forum...)

I dunno, last year with the first pick he took a big, tough canadian power forward. Hopefully he'll do it again with one of Mcneil or Biggs if he takes a forward

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#30 X13WINGS13X

X13WINGS13X

#!*% Lebron, Lidstrom is the king.

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:41 PM

What do you guys think on Namestnikov?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4TstUVDzxVg

Edited by X13WINGS13X, 15 May 2011 - 08:43 PM.

#31 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

Zibanejad would be a dream. If he somehow fell to us I'd be so pumped. A 6 foot right-hand center is always a great addition. There are a lot of quality guys this year so I'm sure we'll get someone decent that falls to later in the round, just have no clue who. Hoping is one of those right-handed centers.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#32 X13WINGS13X

X13WINGS13X

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Zibanejad would be excellent but my gut tells me hes gonna go early.

My top 5 wants for the Wings(that are remotely possible)
1. Vladislav Namestnikov
2. Mika Zibanejad
3. Alexander Khoklachev
4. Tomas Jurco
5. Joel Armia

In no particular order

#33 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

What do you guys think on Namestnikov?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4TstUVDzxVg

I'm from london and seen him play a bunch. He's got great hands and speed but will need a lot of grooming to turn him into a player with the "Detroit" attitude. Needs to become more responsible defensively and work harder all over the ice.

Zibanejad would be excellent but my gut tells me hes gonna go early.

My top 5 wants for the Wings(that are remotely possible)
1. Vladislav Namestnikov
2. Mika Zibanejad
3. Alexander Khoklachev
4. Tomas Jurco
5. Joel Armia

In no particular order

Jurco could be good (real nice hands). I would be really happy with any of those boys.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#34 X13WINGS13X

X13WINGS13X

• Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

I've done research on all of them and i can see shades of current and former NHL players in them, for example:

Vladislav Namestnikov - Igor Larionov -- Great vision, hands, and passes. Thinks team first.
Mika Zibanejad - Dustin Brown -- Gritty, power forward that brings offense to the table. Leadership skills
Tomas Jurco - Maxim Afinogenov -- Slick hands, good skater, elusive with high offensive skills
Alexander Khokhlachev - Nicklas Backstrom(caps of course) -- Smart, high offensive player with good hand eye and nice vision. Can playmake and find the twine.
Joel Armia - Vincent Lecavalier -- Big in size and in play and very patient with the puck.

Note: this does not mean that these players will amount to their comparisons, I just see similarities in playing style and poise on the ice

Edited by X13WINGS13X, 15 May 2011 - 09:50 PM.

#35 Bar Down

Bar Down

Rookie

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:04 PM

http://www.youtube.c...hiY0gQKFL8&NR=1

I would LOVE if the Wings picked Mcneil. Apparently he is a gym rat and may be the most driven guy in the draft. Work ethic to go with impressive size and skill. Here's to hoping he falls to 24.

#36 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:10 AM

Nail Yakupov not sure if he's in this years draft or not, the next Feds?
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#37 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:41 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Detroit try to get in to the top 10 or even 15 and maybe get Armia. He may have to build into his body a bit more but that can all be done as long has he sticks to a good workout plan, and I'm sure the Wings would see to that.

#38 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:39 PM

Nail Yakupov not sure if he's in this years draft or not, the next Feds?

Yakupov will be going first overall in next years draft

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#39 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,591 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

I dunno, last year with the first pick he took a big, tough canadian power forward. Hopefully he'll do it again with one of Mcneil or Biggs if he takes a forward

True, and that was a shock! I (like a lot of us here) are just brainwashed into hearing that Holland wants to get bigger and tougher, yet drafts small and soft. How many years now? I am happy he went with who he went with last season, and like you said, hopefully its a trend that continues! (of course he must be talented too, not just big and tough, but he must be able to play!)

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#40 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

True, and that was a shock! I (like a lot of us here) are just brainwashed into hearing that Holland wants to get bigger and tougher, yet drafts small and soft. How many years now? I am happy he went with who he went with last season, and like you said, hopefully its a trend that continues! (of course he must be talented too, not just big and tough, but he must be able to play!)

It will. As I said before, Holland is actually concerned that there's not much size in his current system. But of course, who's fault is that? His own.

Anyway, in this draft I expect a mix, similar to last year. Maybe something like (with examples);

1st Round: Small Skilled (Tatar)
2nd Round: Power Forward (Marc Aubry)
3rd Round: Big Defensive Dman (No examples)
4th Round: Small Skilled From Earlier Round (Pulkkinen)
5th Round: Small Skilled Fighter (Callahan)
6th Round: Tough Power Forward (No examples)
7th Round: Small offensive defenseman (Marshall) or wild card (Jesper Samuelsson)

Going to have a good look through all the mock drafts and see who I fancy. Don't you just love the draft? One of my favourite parts of hockey along with free agent frenzy. I would love to see us draft toughness to go with the size. Obviously such a prospect is hard to get in the lower rounds, but we managed it with Callahan, even if he is a bit undersized...maybe something to look for in the second round.

I firmly believe, as always (and rightly), Detroit will use its first round pick to select the best available player that remains, unless of course someone comes alone and trades two or three picks for it. With us being a little higher in the draft this year I don't expect that to happen. But who knows? The rest is a lottery, but as they stated they wanted size this year, Im expecting the rest to be a mixed bag, slightly favouring size over skill.

The draft is so far away :ranting:

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights